Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 11:18 PM

628 posts, read 1,392,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Join the Navy and see the World. The World is 75% water.

Aviation tech.
Propulsion tech.
Electrician.

Are you going enlisted or Commissioned?
That's exactly what I intend to do if I join the Navy. I want to be a sailor who sails my own ship built completely from scratch on my own one day and not one of those modern ships, but one of those old-timey sail-powered 100% made of wood and little else ships.

I have a long ways to go until I get to that point, but I need to start somewhere and being able to tell people I have 4 years of experience as a sailor in the Navy could get me some interesting jobs on my travels.

Plus all the experience, knowledge, skills, and money from a life in the Navy all sounds awesome all while getting to serve and help protect our country in my own way: Boatswain's Mate. Plus I'll be able to get experience being a sailor sailing a modern day ship. I like being versatile.

What exactly do you DO after you sign up, how do you sign-up for a ship that sees the places you like, how do you even KNOW that the ship you are signing up for will even go to the places you like, do you randomly get assigned to a ship: if you do can you change ships and HOW do you do that?

Is there paper-work involved? How do you get the paper-work you need? Who do you ask for this paperwork, if you need to ask someone for it?

What's it like being a Boatswain's Mate in the Navy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 06:57 AM

37,536 posts, read 61,578,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColorsWolf View Post
... I want to be a sailor ...

... What exactly do you DO after you sign up, ... HOW do you do that?

Is there paper-work involved? How do you get the paper-work you need? Who do you ask for this paperwork, if you need to ask someone for it?
Start by talking to a recruiter.

I have known a handful of US Navy sailors who had their own sailboats privately.

I have known two sailors who lived in sailboats [instead of apartments] when we were in home port. One was married and his wife lived in their sailboat year-round. The other was single and had an arrangement with a harbor that they pulled his boat up out of the water for him every time that he had to leave with the Navy.

BMs do a lot of rigging, and small boat handling. There are BMs on larger ships. There are also a lot of BMs on tugs and small craft.

For 'sailing' you should also consider QM.

Most older Navy bases have a private marina on-base. Where sailors can take classes on sailing, and rent sail boats.

Old 07-30-2013, 06:42 PM

628 posts, read 1,392,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Start by talking to a recruiter.

I have known a handful of US Navy sailors who had their own sailboats privately.

I have known two sailors who lived in sailboats [instead of apartments] when we were in home port. One was married and his wife lived in their sailboat year-round. The other was single and had an arrangement with a harbor that they pulled his boat up out of the water for him every time that he had to leave with the Navy.

BMs do a lot of rigging, and small boat handling. There are BMs on larger ships. There are also a lot of BMs on tugs and small craft.

For 'sailing' you should also consider QM.

Most older Navy bases have a private marina on-base. Where sailors can take classes on sailing, and rent sail boats.
Oh my wow! Thank you SO much! That sounds completely awesome!! Thank you, there are no words, thank you so much!! You are one of the VERY few to ever answer this question of mine and not insult me by claiming I am insulting ALL of the Navy by even ASKING this question!

Thank you!~
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues