Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 09:07 AM

74 posts, read 295,076 times

Advertisements

What are the reasons why someone would not be an officer when they join the Navy with a Bachelor's degree?

Do many people join the Navy with a Bachelor's degree and not become an officer right away?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 09:14 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,831,987 times
Each person has their own reason, but just having Bachelor's degree does not automatically make you qualified to be an Officer. There are a lot people with degrees just trying to get in the service. Many times the waiting list is too long.

I have known many Soldiers who were either drafted or enlisted who had a Bachelor's degree without becoming an Officer.

That is not to say a degree is not important, because it is in the military.

Rich

Old 04-12-2010, 11:45 AM

46,334 posts, read 27,181,581 times
If you have a degree the recruiter will try to get you to go officer....

Poncho_NM is EXACTALLY correct....just becasue you have a degree does NOT make you officer material...the problem now-a-days...is that is what most junior officers think...I have a degree and you do not...therefore...i'm better than you....(some show it some don't).

Sorry, I am retired with 21+ years in...all Aviation...I had my disagrements with those types...no way in heck, can a 4 year officer tell me how to run those Soldiers who are in my platoon....better than me....becasue the oficer has a degree....

****pushes soapbox back into the closet****

Old 04-12-2010, 12:56 PM

3,085 posts, read 5,248,508 times
I think it is safe to say that you'll have a hell of a lot more credibility as an officer if you come out of OCS with some enlisted time under your belt.

Old 04-12-2010, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
I think it is safe to say that you'll have a hell of a lot more credibility as an officer if you come out of OCS with some enlisted time under your belt.

ding....ding...ding...

We have a WINNER!!!!!

Old 04-12-2010, 07:28 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,951,552 times
I know a retired Army bird Colonel with 34 yrs under his belt...up thru the ranks and then OCS. He was on the list for a star the last two yrs before retiring...everyone here thought he would get it...I knew differently as it's not too common for a Non Academy Officer to get a Star. He never saw any combat and wanted to discuss Korea with me as I had been there in 1952...heck he was never born yet at that time. He was mainly real echelon CO. during his service.

Steve

Old 04-12-2010, 09:21 PM

1,391 posts, read 2,649,449 times
Maybe they never put in an officer package for some reason, or maybe they did and were turned away. Aside from those plausible scenarios, I can't think of one good reason to bust your rump for several years for that degree, only to pursue a career that never required any degree in the first place. It's one thing to get a degree, have a change of heart and then pursue something else, but no one gets say, a mechanical engineering degree for the sole purpose of becoming a mechanic - that would be a monumental waste.

Old 04-13-2010, 02:43 AM

121 posts, read 339,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
Too true. The only butterbars we ever paid any attention to were are the ones with a few ribbons.

Old 04-13-2010, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♪♫♪♪♫♫♪♥ View Post
Maybe they never put in an officer package for some reason, or maybe they did and were turned away. Aside from those plausible scenarios, I can't think of one good reason to bust your rump for several years for that degree, only to pursue a career that never required any degree in the first place. It's one thing to get a degree, have a change of heart and then pursue something else, but no one gets say, a mechanical engineering degree for the sole purpose of becoming a mechanic - that would be a monumental waste.
Go check out a PSY OPS world.....enlisted have masters degrees....

Old 04-13-2010, 08:22 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,845,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by facts101 View Post
What are the reasons why someone would not be an officer when they join the Navy with a Bachelor's degree?

Do many people join the Navy with a Bachelor's degree and not become an officer right away?
You get an automatic pay raise if you enlist with a Bachelor's degree. I think they start you as an E4.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues