Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2010, 12:59 PM

85 posts, read 333,921 times

Advertisements

I am currently in South Carolina where I have met an amazing number of (former) Michiganders who constantly complain about how terrible things were in Michigan and how they couldn't wait to get out of the state. I on the other hand studied the state differently and contrary to what you hear in the media, there is still an amazing amount of manufacturing businesses in Michigan (typically small to medium businesses) who have not yet moved south.

I would like to start a capital raising company to help these businesses raise money.

Would there be any demand for such services from Michigan Small and Medium businesses?
Where are the small and medium businesses in Michigan concentrated? Are they all around Detroit or are they also in western MI and other parts of the state?

Any answers you could provide would help me tremendously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 05:32 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,610,370 times
There are a lot of these companies on the west side of the state in the Grand Rapids/Holland/Muskegon area. I used to work at a company that worked with some of them. I'll try to list as many as I can think of:

Cascade Engineering, Grand Rapids
Lacks Enterprises, Grand Rapids
Synergis Technologies, Grand Rapids
Walker Tool and Die, Walker
Enterprise Tool and Die, Grandville
Pridgeon and Clay, Grand Rapids

There are a lot more, but I'm struggling to remember them. Hopefully that's a decent start.

Old 04-20-2010, 07:08 AM

749 posts, read 2,440,366 times
Michigan has renaissance zones with a lot of small to medium size businesses, here's a link.

Renaissance Zones

Old 04-20-2010, 08:58 AM

85 posts, read 333,921 times
Wow, thanks Michigan83...that is a good list to give an idea. I believe that in the upcoming business cycle there will be a renaissance (helped with federal dollars) in Michigan manufacturing. Its great to help out struggling businesses and make them successful. Also thanks for the link to the rennaissance zones, cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan