Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 05:52 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,561,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Only because they are not able to adapt and aquire skills that are NEEDED to make a good living in Northern Michigan. If they are not able to , then yes, they need to move
cCnt adapt and have no skills? Ha Ha Ha. It's only because I actually HAVE skills and CAN adapt is why I left. Again, no jobs there. But some people will argue otherwise. Moved to AZ in 2005 and soon moving to Wisconsin. I have a MBA and graduated from Central MI Univ and Indiana U. No skills and experience, hey??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 06:04 PM

1,742 posts, read 4,004,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Again with the experience of one little town and it just HAS to apply to the entire Northern Michigan area.

Listen to you two, sounds like you should be a couple somewhere.

What I find amusing with both of you in particular and with most of the ones who post all the negative here on the site about either the entire state or Northern Michigan, is that you claim that only your experiences are valid and that everybody else who isn't struggling must either be stupid or lying. There is two side to the area, I haven't seen one post yet that is saying that times are great, and that jobs are overflowing and waiting for people to fill them. Everybody is saying that times are tough right now, all across the State, heck all across the Nation. What is being posted though is the other side of the coin, the positive side, which is just as truthful and valid as the negative side. Most of us in Northern Michigan are NOT unemployed, or under-employed. Most are NOT druggies, drunks, or sex-offenders. Most are NOT living in a house that is facing foreclosure. As soon as somebody posts otherwise, you jump all over it as a lie, or the person is hiding their head in the sand. What posting the other side; like I do as well as several others, does to the conversation is add balance and the true whole picture of the area.

Of course there will be the regular snide remarks and posts about how my viewpoint is false and cannot be true because YOUR personal experiences have been different. So be it, I think others are smart enough to know what sad individuals it takes to always post how inbred and backwards an area is if they don't like it.

I really do feel bad for you two the most, because you are so vocal about your narrow minded, seething hatred of an area that is far larger than a couple little towns you have personal experiences with. It makes me wonder how bad it must be for you, that you have to come on a forum and deny that there are any good things in an area. I've seen posts to individuals that if they move to Northern Michigan that their kids will turn out to be unemployable partiers and druggies. I really hope you can get out to wherever will calm your nerves and you'll find at least a glimmer of the happiness Northern Michigan brings me and my family. Wherever it is, I wish you the best, and hope not to see your one sided arguments as much when you do get there.
All the towns are the same. West Branch, Houghton Lake, Roscommon, Grayling, Gaylord are all the same. The difference is West Branch and Gaylord at least make efforts to keep their towns visually appealing, Houghton Lake and Grayling are just dumps.

The rest is just BS. Why don't you post why there is any hope for jobs in northern Michigan instead of listing everything that is wrong with me.

It is sad I post here. What the hell else is there to do in Gaylord? Strap on my laterhosen and head to Timothy's Pub for a night on the town? Thank god I'm going to Harper Woods tomorrow morning.

Old 02-19-2010, 06:04 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,866,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krock1dk View Post
cCnt adapt and have no skills? Ha Ha Ha. It's only because I actually HAVE skills and CAN adapt is why I left. Again, no jobs there. But some people will argue otherwise. Moved to AZ in 2005 and soon moving to Wisconsin. I have a MBA and graduated from Central MI Univ and Indiana U. No skills and experience, hey??
Maybe not the right skills and degree's. A degree doesn't automatically make you marketable.

No jobs? That must be why my DW and myself were recruited from 1/2 way across the Country by several different places wanting us to come to work for them right here in Michigan. Must be why 1/4 of the people my DW works with are from out of State, who moved here because the jobs paid more than where they were. You are right though, if you don't have the right job skills you are screwed, but that hold true EVERYWHERE right now, not just Michigan.

Old 02-19-2010, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scolls View Post
All the towns are the same. West Branch, Houghton Lake, Roscommon, Grayling, Gaylord are all the same. The difference is West Branch and Gaylord at least make efforts to keep their towns visually appealing, Houghton Lake and Grayling are just dumps.

The rest is just BS. Why don't you post why there is any hope for jobs in northern Michigan instead of listing everything that is wrong with me.

It is sad I post here. What the hell else is there to do in Gaylord? Strap on my laterhosen and head to Timothy's Pub for a night on the town? Thank god I'm going to Harper Woods tomorrow morning.
Exactly the response I expected, and said you would post. Thanks for living down to my expectations.

Old 02-19-2010, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Exactly the response I expected, and said you would post. Thanks for living down to my expectations.

Funny, this was the post I was expecting to. Absolutely nothing about the job situation in northern Michigan and just more deflection.

Old 02-19-2010, 06:19 PM

Really, what is there to do in Gaylord on a Friday night? I'm bored as hell.

Old 02-19-2010, 06:37 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,903,538 times
Quote:
Really, what is there to do in Gaylord on a Friday night? I'm bored as hell.
You could make a pipe bomb?!

Old 02-19-2010, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krock1dk View Post
there are just some people in this world who will argue argue argue about anything, no matter what substantial proof and facts you give them. Once again, bydand, the FACTS speak for themselves.
You haven't posted FACTS yet, you post your past personal experiances as fact, but that is far actually BEING facts. The FACTS are that while unemployment is high (between 10-20% by County), that means that there are 80-90% who ARE working.
MI Unemployment by County
US Bureau of Labor: MI unemployment by year
MI unemployment rates 2009

Few houses are entering foreclosure overall, 2.6% in 2009 which is too many, but not something most are facing or going through.
Foreclosures: 1 in every 38 houses received a foreclosure notice in Michigan in 2009. In case you don't comprehend that, what it means, is that 37 out of 38 did NOT. That put Michigan at #8 in the Nation, not the top. Here are a couple more places to look at this FACT.
MI Foreclosures
MI Foreclosures by county

Lets see your FACTS to disprove those. Those are cold hard numbers that back up what people have been saying all along. Yes times are tough, but they are not hopeless and as bad as a few here make them out to be. Cold hard FACTS.

Old 02-19-2010, 06:41 PM

9,471 posts, read 10,812,644 times
Quote:

"What the #$#@ else is there to do in Gaylord?" Are you kidding? Have you ever been on a snowmachine, ice fishing, rabbit hunting?? I bet you have not spent much time outdoors. Maybe if you did you may realize what living in Michigan is all about. Maybe the negitivity of the city is ingrained too deep in you to change. If you hate northern Mi, maybe you should stay in that stink hole you call Madison hts, or whatever suburb it is. They all look alike, and all run together anyhow. Just out of curiousity, you say theres nothing to do in Gaylord, what on earth do you do in a place like suburban Detoilet?? There is only so much shopping you can do.

Old 02-19-2010, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
"What the #$#@ else is there to do in Gaylord?" Are you kidding? Have you ever been on a snowmachine, ice fishing, rabbit hunting?? I bet you have not spent much time outdoors. Maybe if you did you may realize what living in Michigan is all about. Maybe the negitivity of the city is ingrained too deep in you to change. If you hate northern Mi, maybe you should stay in that stink hole you call Madison hts, or whatever suburb it is. They all look alike, and all run together anyhow. Just out of curiousity, you say theres nothing to do in Gaylord, what on earth do you do in a place like suburban Detoilet?? There is only so much shopping you can do.

How the hell do you propose I catch a rabbit in the dark? What lake can I ice fish on that I won't fall through? Madison Heights looks nothing like Harper Woods and shares nothing in common. If I was in Detroit I could be out watching a movie and going to a restaurant that isn't a Bavarian themed Mexican restaurant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan