Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 04:17 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,318,767 times

Advertisements

You know, Krock1dk, I just don't understand you. I have read your myriad posts on the Phoenix forum about how much you hate it there and how you can't wait to return to the Midwest, so I figured okay, just another Midwesterner who relocated to AZ, hated it, and wants to go home, I've seen that a hundred times, no big deal. But now you're over here saying how much you hate northern MI and the Detroit area too. I know that you are moving to Wisconsin soon. Is Wisconsin like a little piece of sunshine in an otherwise terrible country or something, and is it really all that different from MI? Or when you get to Wisconsin, are you going to get on their forums and gripe too? Nothing personal, I am just perplexed by all this.

I truly hope that you find happiness, but I'm starting to wonder where, if anywhere, you could.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 05:26 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,696,987 times
Not that my two cents is worth anything, and since i've only lived in Michigan a little over a year now...but come on this going back and forth and degrading one another is making all of us look like "butts"
Here is simple math..
1. if you dont like michigan and you have the means to move...then move. Hope you like it better wherever your going to.
2. if you lived in michigan hated it and moved...great for you but that doesnt mean you have to bash those still here and that like michigan.
3. Why is it that you feel the need to get personal and bash others. If someone says something you dont agree with, and you can not come back with a reply other than rudeness, arogance, and down right ignorance, why bother?

Again, i am one that moved to michigan, and things could be going a whole lot better, but for now, we take the good with the bad..it's called life. I dont know statistics or your so called facts, and frankly i dont care....so for those who are not happy, im sorry that you feel that way, and i wish there was some way you could find that happiness.
just my useless two cents.

Old 02-23-2010, 07:56 AM

1,742 posts, read 4,005,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krock1dk View Post
do I have sources that 2+2 = 4?? check out the census. detroit shrinking is something everyone knows. but it seems the only one who doesnt know it is YOU.

Chicago, Philadelphia, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Minneapolis, Baltimore, St Louis, Pittsburgh, Kansas City, Washington DC are just a handful of examples of cities that lost population in the same time frame. It's a natural prgression of society moving towards the suburbs. I honestly have no idea what Detroit's population has to do with jobs in norther Michigan.

I love how this thread went. I said something about northern Michigan's economy. It's pretty accurate but since northern Michigan is sacred around these parts, no one wanted to hear it. Instead they till me I'm not skilled and probably asking for handouts. Next they attack Detroit simply because I also live there. What I haven't seen, is anything contrary to my point about northern Michigan having any sort of jobs that offer livable salaries.

Old 02-23-2010, 08:13 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,907,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scolls View Post
Chicago, Philadelphia, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Minneapolis, Baltimore, St Louis, Pittsburgh, Kansas City, Washington DC are just a handful of examples of cities that lost population in the same time frame. It's a natural prgression of society moving towards the suburbs. I honestly have no idea what Detroit's population has to do with jobs in norther Michigan.

I love how this thread went. I said something about northern Michigan's economy. It's pretty accurate but since northern Michigan is sacred around these parts, no one wanted to hear it. Instead they till me I'm not skilled and probably asking for handouts. Next they attack Detroit simply because I also live there. What I haven't seen, is anything contrary to my point about northern Michigan having any sort of jobs that offer livable salaries.
Ok, Northern Michigan has no jobs, nobody can make any kind of living, and some people hate it with every ounce of their being. But its still awesome, sacred, and thousands of people still want to live there and love living there. Me included!

Old 02-23-2010, 09:25 AM

yet there are many still making it...its called "living within your means" and its also saying that you dont need all the materialistic things. (im not pointing the finger...im using "you" as a figure of speech)
Would you (anyone) be happy giving up all those toys and living where you love...?
geez..this thread is going nowhere.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:48 AM

939 posts, read 2,683,114 times
HAHA! You'd be amazed with how many Up-North residents have "toys" worth more then their homes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineann View Post
yet there are many still making it...its called "living within your means" and its also saying that you dont need all the materialistic things. (im not pointing the finger...im using "you" as a figure of speech)
Would you (anyone) be happy giving up all those toys and living where you love...?
geez..this thread is going nowhere.

Old 02-23-2010, 12:51 PM

i know...i live here.

Old 02-23-2010, 02:45 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,562,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
You know, Krock1dk, I just don't understand you. I have read your myriad posts on the Phoenix forum about how much you hate it there and how you can't wait to return to the Midwest, so I figured okay, just another Midwesterner who relocated to AZ, hated it, and wants to go home, I've seen that a hundred times, no big deal. But now you're over here saying how much you hate northern MI and the Detroit area too. I know that you are moving to Wisconsin soon. Is Wisconsin like a little piece of sunshine in an otherwise terrible country or something, and is it really all that different from MI? Or when you get to Wisconsin, are you going to get on their forums and gripe too? Nothing personal, I am just perplexed by all this.

I truly hope that you find happiness, but I'm starting to wonder where, if anywhere, you could.

Good luck!
No, I dont hate it everywhere I go (I liked Indiana and the northern VA suburbs of Washington DC). My beaf with northern MI is the extremely scant number of jobs available, the 'backwards' culture, slow pace of life and rural atmosphere. I am not speaking for everyone, just most people in my age bravcket (upper 20s). Most people I graduated high school with would agree with me, as almost all have moved out to escape to the cities for its ammenities and wanting a career. There is nothing wrong with that. Many people I knew would just drink, do drugs and party to keep away the boredom. But MOST of the people who DO like northern MI are the GM retirees and the like who move there to escape the city life. Nothing wrong with that either.

Although Wisconsin and Michigan are alike in many ways, Wisconsin is much more 'progressive'. Yes, I am a Midwesterner who came to AZ and didnt like it. But I came here not by choice, but by circumstance. I have lots of fam in Wisconsin and am looking FWD to the change.

Old 02-23-2010, 05:33 PM

1,742 posts, read 4,005,668 times
Since no one wants to talk about the economy, I just got back from Sault Sainte Marie and I all of the sudden feel Gaylurd isn't so bad after all.

Old 02-23-2010, 07:02 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,953,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krock1dk View Post
do I have sources that 2+2 = 4?? check out the census. detroit shrinking is something everyone knows. but it seems the only one who doesnt know it is YOU.
I don't know it because I ask for sources??? I SAID I was just interested in seeing the facts...geesh...don't get yourself all in a bunch.

Sorry, but I LIVE in SE MI-have all my life-grew up a couple blks from Detroit...so I think I DO know what it is looking like there...just wanted to see the numbers...and BTW, Detroit is not shrinking, the population may be though...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan