Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 12:45 PM

7 posts, read 19,793 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I am a new member, and I was wondering if I could get some help here.

I am interviewing for a position. So far, I have 2 interviews lined up: one in Marshall and another in Kalamazoo.

I wanted to live in Kalamazoo because I have friends there. However, the job offer in Marshall seems to be better (I haven't interviewed yet, so not completely sure).

My question is: is it ok to live in Kalamazoo and work in Marshall? I am concerned about the commute time, and how that will be affected during winter time.
I really liked Kalamazoo when I spent few weeks there with my friends, and I believe my wife would enjoy much more living there (due to friends) but I just want to see how bad would be the commute.

Also, do you have any other suggestions in terms of place to live between Marshall and Kalamazoo??

Thank you again for all your help.

ps: school district would be really important since I have a toddler.

Last edited by Davivascaino; 08-01-2013 at 01:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2013, 11:57 PM

13 posts, read 24,012 times
I-94 is a very important road so its often the first one cleared when it snows, even when it is covered in snow, people still keep driving on it.

Old 08-02-2013, 05:41 AM

Thanks. What about the commute time? I wanted to have an idea. Based on google maps, it can range from 40-50 minutes. Anyone with more information? Thank you again

Old 08-02-2013, 09:14 AM

120 posts, read 340,208 times
I'm a Michigan newbie (been in Saint Jospeh for 1year) but I have 2 school-aged children so while I can't speak from personal experience of schools in the Kalamazoo area, I can give you some ideas of where to go to get information.

Check out this if you haven’t already. While you can only get so much information from this I have found it to be a good jumping off point. They rate schools, some have parent reviews, they give demographic information etc.

GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community

Once I accepted the job I talked to my boss and prosepective co-workers etc about schools, staff at the hotel we stayed at anyone I could find. We rented for 6 months before buying to make sure we liked the area we were living in as well as the schools.
You say you have friends in Kalamazoo ask them if they know anyone who is familiar with the schools.
Michigan also has “Schools of Choice which allows your child to attend a school in another district. You do have to provide your own transportation and it is a lottery system. I know many people that have their children in schools outside of their home district. Michigan does not have vouchers for private schools.

Good Luck.

Old 08-02-2013, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alw1964 View Post
I'm a Michigan newbie (been in Saint Jospeh for 1year) but I have 2 school-aged children so while I can't speak from personal experience of schools in the Kalamazoo area, I can give you some ideas of where to go to get information.

Check out this if you haven’t already. While you can only get so much information from this I have found it to be a good jumping off point. They rate schools, some have parent reviews, they give demographic information etc.

GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community

Once I accepted the job I talked to my boss and prosepective co-workers etc about schools, staff at the hotel we stayed at anyone I could find. We rented for 6 months before buying to make sure we liked the area we were living in as well as the schools.
You say you have friends in Kalamazoo ask them if they know anyone who is familiar with the schools.
Michigan also has “Schools of Choice which allows your child to attend a school in another district. You do have to provide your own transportation and it is a lottery system. I know many people that have their children in schools outside of their home district. Michigan does not have vouchers for private schools.

Good Luck.
Thank you for your help. I am not too concerned about the school district since I can get that information from my friends (they have kids also).

I was more concerned about living in Kalamazoo or somewhere else and working in Marshall. I want to see if this is doable and recommneded in terms of commute time, snow, etc...

Old 08-02-2013, 10:19 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,786,099 times
Marshal is a wonderful town. I woudl live in Marshal and work in KZoo, or just live and work in Kzoo and go visit your friends when you are not working (or let them come visit you, they will appreciate getting to come to Marshall. Regardless where you live, a short commute makes a better life.

Old 08-02-2013, 11:49 AM

915 posts, read 1,504,772 times
It really depends on where you live in K-zoo. Are you talking the actual city or one of the suburbs? I would definitely live on the East side of the county for an easier commute, if you are determined to live in K-zoo. 40-50 minutes is accurate time wise. It takes about 20 minutes to get to Battle Creek from K-zoo. The next major town is Marshall, which is about another 20-25 minutes from Battle Creek.

I tend to agree with Coldjensens who said, "a short commute makes a better life."

Sometimes the problem w/commuting on 94 isn't driving on 94, but getting to 94.

Personally, I'd live in the K-zoo area, if that's where my job was. I'd live in Marshall if that's where my job was. There are just intangible benefits that come from having a job close to where you live.

Old 08-02-2013, 12:28 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,786,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopygirlmi View Post
I'd live in Marshall if that's where my job was. T
Thats is what I meant I just said it wrong. Marshall is the hands down better place to live IMO. IF it is the better job location, you have your answer.

Old 08-02-2013, 01:38 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,013,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davivascaino View Post
Thank you for your help. I am not too concerned about the school district since I can get that information from my friends (they have kids also).

I was more concerned about living in Kalamazoo or somewhere else and working in Marshall. I want to see if this is doable and recommneded in terms of commute time, snow, etc...
We just learned about this deal called the Kalamazoo promise. I know you have a toddler so college seems like a long ways off, but I'd check it out when making your decision unless you know you won't be living there long.

Old 08-02-2013, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopygirlmi View Post
It really depends on where you live in K-zoo. Are you talking the actual city or one of the suburbs? I would definitely live on the East side of the county for an easier commute, if you are determined to live in K-zoo. 40-50 minutes is accurate time wise. It takes about 20 minutes to get to Battle Creek from K-zoo. The next major town is Marshall, which is about another 20-25 minutes from Battle Creek.

I tend to agree with Coldjensens who said, "a short commute makes a better life."

Sometimes the problem w/commuting on 94 isn't driving on 94, but getting to 94.

Personally, I'd live in the K-zoo area, if that's where my job was. I'd live in Marshall if that's where my job was. There are just intangible benefits that come from having a job close to where you live.
which suburbs in K-zoo are good and would make a shorter commute to Marshall?

Thanks again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan