Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 01:57 PM

54 posts, read 53,397 times

Advertisements

I'm fourteen, live in Monroe, MI :/, and go to Monroe High.

Me and my dad are considering a possible move to the Salt Lake City area after school gets out, what do you think??

I keep hearing that the smog is really bad out there and the mormon influence, etc.

And, I know Michigan is truley one of the best states, what would you do?

Maybe we should consider moving up north? We've lived in Traverse City previously (2 years there) and we've been through the whole state, any suggestions? What would you do?

Any Opinions at all, thanks everybody.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2010, 02:06 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,898,255 times
Given Traverse City vs. Salt Lake City, I would choose TC anyday.

Some parts of Utah are really wonderful. I do not find SLC to be one of them.

Best advice I can give you is to live where your extended family is. Family is critically important to well being and happiness.

Old 02-05-2010, 02:17 PM

All my family is from Michigan.

And thanks for your opinion, anybody think somewhere different?

Old 02-05-2010, 04:12 PM

1,742 posts, read 4,006,535 times
I've been to Salt Lake City before and I would take it in a heartbeat over Traverse City. I moved to northern Michigan when I was 14 and it was horrible.

Old 02-06-2010, 12:38 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,160,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rltluke View Post
I'm fourteen, live in Monroe, MI :/, and go to Monroe High.

Me and my dad are considering a possible move to the Salt Lake City area after school gets out, what do you think??

I keep hearing that the smog is really bad out there and the mormon influence, etc.

And, I know Michigan is truley one of the best states, what would you do?

Maybe we should consider moving up north? We've lived in Traverse City previously (2 years there) and we've been through the whole state, any suggestions? What would you do?

Any Opinions at all, thanks everybody.

I guess it would depend on employment. What does your father do for a living? The economy stinks everywhere (although I know MI is one of the worst) so I would consider where your father can make a decent living. Also consider climate. Do you like season changes?

Old 02-07-2010, 12:54 PM

Well, since were both born and raised in Michigan, Climates not a big deal, and we lived in Traverse City for two years (2006/2007) and we loved it.

And i'm not sure about a job, my dad might try to get his job at Traverse Motors, but he has oil and lube exp, math degree, CDLA truck driving degree and 3 years of waiting exp.

Old 02-08-2010, 06:51 PM

258 posts, read 1,000,928 times
I lived in Jackson, Wyoming, for several years and knew many people from SLC and have been there many times. I think your information about it is a bit incorrect. Yes, there is a good bit of Mormon influence there as the temple is there as well as a long history. But I'm not sure that's a problem. I have found Mormans to be very family oriented hard working, and not much different than any other Christians. As far as "smog", being in the mountains (or should I say "between them") you will get a condition called "inversion" at times. That means that instead of cooler air being at the higher altitude in the mountains, it stays down low and it's warmer up high. "Inverted" from the usual condition - cooler at higher altitudes. That tends to hold whatever smog is around at the time down low. Yes, you will see that at times.

I would think you and your dad would like the lower crime, pretty good employment opportunities, good schools and colleges, etc. The opportunities for amazing outdoor recreation (hiking, fishing, hunting, etc) are endless and Utah is a beautiful state. If I were you, I'd give it a try. I'm female and in my 60's and wouldn't hesitate for a moment living in SLC. If you don't like it, you can always come "home"!

Old 02-08-2010, 07:07 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,232,168 times
I think whether you prefer Traverse City or Salt Lake City is going to depend a lot on subjective factors. If you've already lived in TC and know you like it, then that seems like the logical choice between the two. Having said that I have found myself drawn to Utah from time to time and can understand the attraction. If you haven't already, definitely browse the Salt Lake City subforum. You'll be able to get a better picture of the city than on this subforum. In particular here is a thread about abeing a non-Mormon in SLC: https://www.city-data.com/forum/salt-...happy-slc.html

Old 02-08-2010, 07:15 PM

116 posts, read 409,436 times
Im originally from traverse city and have live in las vegas for 24 years or so,I have been to SLC many times and I would not want to live there at all.The people are very nice most mormon's are.With that said I would prefer to live in traverse city even to this day,I have even considered moving back this year but from what I have gathered michigan is not geting any better only worse.I will one day move back .

Old 02-08-2010, 09:40 PM

9,475 posts, read 10,824,407 times
The one thing someone from Michigan would have a problem with right away in a place like Utah is how brown and dry it is. We are so used to green and lush, it is a shock to go live in a desert enviroment. Salt lake city does have the mountains east of it and they are beautiful, but to the west is one of the most awful enviroments in North America, the great salt desert. If the devil could feel at home anywhere on earth, it would be in the salt desert. The Great salt lake is also very nasty, it smells like brine. If you like dry desert enviroments you may like it out there, but dont go thinking the place is going to look like some western postcard, since most of the state is utter wasteland and a very small percent of it is spectacular beauty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan