Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 10:11 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,910,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dori36 View Post
I have to agree with you "moldman". Last winter I ended up spending the whole winter at my small cottage in Alcona County - one of the highest unemployment areas of the state and a very depressed economy. I knew I'd be a nut case by the end of the winter if I didn't get some sort of job. By being proactive and asking everywhere, I landed a job in a Veterinary Clinic in Alpena as an assistant and marketing "guru". I think there are jobs if a person has some skills/qualifications and goes for it agressively. My BS in Animal Husbandry and considerable livestock and small animal experience didn't hurt, either!

Now if I could get my lower Michigan farm sold, I'd probably move up there full time!
Exactly. And like someone on here mentioned earlier, it doesnt hurt to know people. Ask around, talk to people, get to know people. I do not need a job, but last fall I went into a local business and started chatting with the guy there. After about 20 min. I asked (for fun) if they were hiring. He said yes, and I would be working with him...I am pretty sure I could have got hired then and there. It would not have paid much, but I go into every situation that you start low, work hard and you will move up the ladder quickly.
These days it takes more then just filling out apps. You need to do EVERYTHING possible to land a job if you need one, think outside the box.
OOHHH! I want to live up north so bad!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2010, 12:51 PM

54 posts, read 53,404 times
Ha, good luck selling your farm!

But, should'nt your farming business get better from that Made in Michigan campain?

Well it's good that someone can try to make a living off farms, considering nowadays.

Old 02-25-2010, 03:49 PM

258 posts, read 1,001,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rltluke View Post
Ha, good luck selling your farm!

But, should'nt your farming business get better from that Made in Michigan campain?

Well it's good that someone can try to make a living off farms, considering nowadays.
Thanks, "rtluke". I raised beef cattle ....have for over 30 years. I brought a whole herd back here with me when I returned from Wyoming in 2003. Had no idea how bad everything had gotten in MI including the remnants of a beef cattle industry. Hardly any processing facilities left and in spite of my "Wyomingwoman" attitude, I don't much care for doing my own. Add to that the TB issue and it's just not worth the hassle of raising beef cattle here. Now, for someone who wanted to have a small hobby farm raising all natural crops or something like that, I'd say there would be some benefit in local small farming.

I'm done farming now and just want to move to town and 'retire'. but, you make a good point for younger families who want to get out of town and raise their kids in a wholesome, country way. Me, I'm 65 and ready to go to town! Wanna buy my farm and go for the made in Michigan products?

Old 02-27-2010, 12:20 PM

4 posts, read 2,085 times
Hey, its luke again.

I had to create a new profile, they banned me from my other one

It's really warm out!!!

Old 02-28-2010, 02:32 PM

121 posts, read 175,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zraupp10 View Post
Michigan sucks, theres no work, your lucky if yo work @ McD's!
every1 is moving out and or going into the Army and there is still no work, I'm Moving out as soon as a Grad from High school and Tech school!
Don't move here! it sucks, theres no work!
Well........not everyone.....I've been here for six decades and have no intention of moving. I love Mi. It's one of the most diverse states in the country. Loads to do. Beaches, beaches and beaches. Wonderful sand dunes. Still some drive ins as well.

And in todays world, I'd think no matter where one hails from that any job is a job one should keep. I remember it wasn't too awful long ago when people stuck their noses in the air or looked down on fast food workers. Seems the fast food workers are still working......Not so funny anymore.

Old 02-28-2010, 02:48 PM

121 posts, read 175,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krock1dk View Post
You forgot the Detroit area (only 50% of the state's population), Lansing, Jackson, Benton Harbor-St. Joe, K'zoo and northern MI. Pretty much 90% of the state. With the exception of maybe Ann Arbor or Grand Rapids, Michigan deserves its Rust Belt reputation. There are no jobs. Period.
Well, that's your opinion. And there are jobs that nobody wanted because they thought they were too good to work them...Custodians. Waitresses. Fast food. Dish washer. If you look long and hard enough, you'd find one. It all depends on whether or not you really want a job.....I think, no matter where you go, and what state you land in, you'll find, for the most part, that high paying jobs are becoming a thing of the past. It's becoming survival of the fittest and those with a job, any job, will get to eat. Those without a job, won't.....Unless, they've had to reach for a handout.....Anyway, it's all a matter of lifestyle. Change what one is used to and learn to live with a different one.

Old 03-02-2010, 02:49 PM

13 posts, read 21,977 times
I'll be leaving Michigan soon. Not so much by choice as by necessity. I have 5 kids, and have been out of work since June of 09. I have sent out hundreds upon hundreds of resumes. Most out of state. Maybe a dozen (if that) within Michigan. I'd rather stay here, because of family and memories and all. But, unemployment doesn't pay the bills or feed my kids. The one of 2 interviews I've had in state, the guy was REALLY low on salary. In my line of work, I should be making around $42,000 (what I was making) a year. This joker was offering $30,000. And, he even said that there's a glut of people in my line looking for work here. So, I'll be moving to Oklahoma. My starting pay, $42,000. So, while my choice would be to stay here...I'm gone. The toughest part? My wife and 5 kids staying behind, until I find the new job working out, and if I think we'd like it there. And, the fact that homes aren't selling contributes. We have one to sell, so we all know that will take a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan