Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 01:38 PM

32 posts, read 115,133 times

Advertisements

Amen brother,and it aint getting any better

Old 05-11-2007, 02:31 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,204,988 times
Right you guys...like everyone here is walking around wearing rose-colored glasses. Since we hear and see the negativity all the time, SINCE WE LIVE HERE, why don't we try to focus on positives (there are SOME, for crying out loud) and focus on the solutions to the negatives? Or is the glass half empty and that's it?
Maybe all of Michigan should get together and have a state-wide moving day where all 10 million of us pack up and caravan outta here because it's all hopeless.

Old 05-11-2007, 02:37 PM

418 posts, read 1,786,310 times
I think it's probably a good thing that those of you that are so down on Michigan, are leaving (or have already left). I mean, seriously. You see how many people are moving to Michigan, yet all you can do is bash it. In what way do you think that helps those of us that are getting relocated there or moving there voluntarily? I understand that you hate it. GREAT! I'm trying to make my move up there as positive as I can, and I have to say that all these negative posts don't help. People wonder why Michigan sucks so badly? I think I know the answer to that - it's all the negative boo-hoo-ers that suck the life out of everything.

Old 05-11-2007, 04:05 PM

837 posts, read 2,337,176 times
I'm really sorry that you seem to think the need to feed my family, take care of bills, and enjoy the basics in life is negative. Like I said, If I was able to find a good permanent job in Michigan, then by all means I'D BE THERE. I'm just stating the reality. Those economic numbers aren't made it, and when you're a part of them, there is NO SWEEPING THEM UNDER THE RUG. I miss being home so much, I miss my friends and family so much, but doggonit I'll be damn If I'm going to pretend like I miss not having a job. I would have moved to the west side of the STATE rather than the west side of the country If I could have found a good job. Many say learn to live below your means, and live a basic lifestyle, well guess what: It's too late for that.........those bills keep rolling in every month no matter how much I'd like to tone down my lifestyle. The bills from my toned UP lifestyle are still a reality.

Old 05-11-2007, 06:12 PM

417 posts, read 1,130,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khfar View Post
I understand that you hate it.

We don't hate Michigan, I haven't seen one post in this forum that actually said they hate the state. But face it, a person has to make a living. If I were independantly wealthy I'd never consider leaving Michigan, but few of us have that luxury. There are many positive things about this state, including it's scenic beauty and four distinct seasons, but WE NEED JOBS!!!

Old 05-11-2007, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by us2indaup View Post
We don't hate Michigan, I haven't seen one post in this forum that actually said they hate the state. But face it, a person has to make a living. If I were independantly wealthy I'd never consider leaving Michigan, but few of us have that luxury. There are many positive things about this state, including it's scenic beauty and four distinct seasons, but WE NEED JOBS!!!
I definitely am not here to argue, so please don't think that was my intent. I am just SO frustrated by all of the negative posts about the state. I've never seen anything like it in my life! And yes, when I was up visiting and house hunting, I was shocked that no one had that doom and gloom attitude that so many people on here have. I know I've said this a million times, but for me, this move is not ideal. I don't want to leave my home. But I have to, so I'm trying to make the best of it.

In saying "you hate it", I wasn't implying that people have SAID that. They don't have to. Coming to this board and bashing the state over and over again says it for them. Moreover, I can't understand why those that have moved away, and enjoy bashing MI, are on here. I could understand if they were helping out newcomers, but it seems that they actually enjoy trying to scare away any potential new people that might be moving up that way.

Just my $.02.

Old 05-11-2007, 10:05 PM

250 posts, read 933,631 times
Quote:
Yes! Yes! Yes! I do like Michigan; the people are great! But when I have to dig through the couch cushions to find change to buy my baby formula, then there's a problem!

HOw much I earn is directly related to the economy. I work for tips... if the economy sucks so does my bank account.

Why don't I find another job? Well duh, it's Michigan there aren't any!

Go to school, you say... yeah I do. But I still have two years to go. I also have 3 children to raise, buy clothes for, spend time with, etc. etc.

Am I a dark, gloomy person? Heck no! If you saw me walking down the street, you'd think I just won the lottery or something! I always smile. I say hello to strangers. I let people over in my lane during rush hour. I'd give anybody the shirt off of my back!

But yes sometimes I do come on here and complain! I am terrified about how I'm gonna get through these two years with little income. But whether I live here or in NYC, I'm still gonna struggle. It's just how my life is right now! I know that I'm not a moron. But it's still scary.

However it is a comfort-- in a strange way-- that I'm not the only one feeling the economic crunch!

What's my point? We are not necessarily gloomy people; we are normal everyday people trying to make a living in a very stressful, uncertain place.

Peace,

Jen

Old 05-11-2007, 10:15 PM

10 posts, read 40,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khfar View Post
I definitely am not here to argue, so please don't think that was my intent. I am just SO frustrated by all of the negative posts about the state. I've never seen anything like it in my life! And yes, when I was up visiting and house hunting, I was shocked that no one had that doom and gloom attitude that so many people on here have. I know I've said this a million times, but for me, this move is not ideal. I don't want to leave my home. But I have to, so I'm trying to make the best of it.

In saying "you hate it", I wasn't implying that people have SAID that. They don't have to. Coming to this board and bashing the state over and over again says it for them. Moreover, I can't understand why those that have moved away, and enjoy bashing MI, are on here. I could understand if they were helping out newcomers, but it seems that they actually enjoy trying to scare away any potential new people that might be moving up that way.

Just my $.02.

First, I just want to say that I've seen several of your posts and I think you have a great attitude. You seem willing to go with the flow of your husband's job move and make the most of it. I know Texans love their Texas, so it's great that you look forward to a few years of a diversion to a new state.

Second, I have said this in other posts, but these online forums are not populated by "regular folks". I think most people in Michigan are out there enjoying life, and love where they live. Granted, the unemployemnt situation is not good. And housing nearly everywhere in the U.S. is in a downturn. but once you move up I think you will find a friendly and welcoming population. A lot of negative folks on this forum are just plain angry people who come online looking for other angry people to make them feel better. I guarantee you will find these kinds of folks in every state forum on this site.

So pay them no mind. Enjoy your stay in Michigan!

Old 05-12-2007, 11:41 AM

32 posts, read 115,133 times
We are focusing on the positives, trying to get out. The grass is greener on the other side [south] people who focus on the positive of an awful situation have no way out so have to find something good even if they have to manufacture it. I don't hate Michigan, but it is not the best place to live in the us.
buy the book "where to retire in the us.
and you will find that Michigan and Wisconsin, Minnesota are not among any of the states that are listed to be.
They say right in the book, the northern states do not have the weather to give good quality of life. the weather cuts to short the time one has to enjoy the any out side activities.
If you are a couch potato then it does not mater.
There is a big population move to the Carolinas,virg., Arkansas,tenn, Ky,Texas, Florida,Georgia. millions of people cant be wrong.

Old 05-12-2007, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adler2u View Post
We are focusing on the positives, trying to get out. The grass is greener on the other side [south] people who focus on the positive of an awful situation have no way out so have to find something good even if they have to manufacture it. I don't hate Michigan, but it is not the best place to live in the us.
buy the book "where to retire in the us.
and you will find that Michigan and Wisconsin, Minnesota are not among any of the states that are listed to be.
They say right in the book, the northern states do not have the weather to give good quality of life. the weather cuts to short the time one has to enjoy the any out side activities.
If you are a couch potato then it does not mater.
There is a big population move to the Carolinas,virg., Arkansas,tenn, Ky,Texas, Florida,Georgia. millions of people cant be wrong.
I get it. Really. I'm FROM Texas. Of course I think it's better. But I'm quite sure that once you do move, and endure your first southern summer (100+ degrees for months, extreme humidity), you'll be on those boards GRIPING just as much as you do on this one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan