Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 03:24 AM

17 posts, read 122,148 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

My NWLB orientation is June 25th. When I signed up at the prelim meeting in February(!!!), the lady would not answer any questions. She said we had to wait for orientation because she didn't want to give us incorrect info! Any insight you can give is greatly appreciated.

1. I had very good credit the first time I was laid off in 2006. Over time it's gone downhill pretty fast. How hard is it to get a job in the health care field with bad credit?

2. I have an outstanding student loan from 1993 that is about $1900. (I thought it was paid years ago and it's not on my credit report. I have no proof I paid it, so I just have to deal with it.) This has prevented me from getting finaid the old fashioned way until it's paid. The MichWorks lady told me it may or may not affect NWLB but couldn't give me an answer until orientation. Any thoughts?

3. I have researched about 20 different career paths. I've narrowed it down to a few with back-ups in case they deny any of them. I've seen programs available at OCC for respiratory therapy, but the research makes it appear that it is not high-demand. Pharmacy technician is high-demand but starts out at $11 an hour. I have no idea what to do. I've also considered web design or accounting. I'm open to almost anything.

4. Does anyone know of any online support groups or forums dedicated to unemployed Michiganders or specific to NWLB?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2009, 06:22 AM

4 posts, read 11,351 times
That program is a joke.. 10-12 K to go to school for a job that pays nothing...Start you own business!

Old 06-08-2009, 06:37 AM

939 posts, read 2,683,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delstele View Post
That program is a joke.. 10-12 K to go to school for a job that pays nothing...Start you own business!
You're an unfunny joke and don't know what you're talking about. I was laid off from my job in Nov '08 and used the NoWorkerLeftBehind program to take and graduate from a course with honors for Pharmacy Technician. I'm working for a national drug store chain in Traverse City and will be securing a position with Munson Hospital later this summer. The state paid all of the tuition, I did the course totally online and now have a recession-proof skill so I'll have no issue with employment ever again. When I finished my course 6 weeks ago, I sent out 30 resumes and had about 25 offers for work. Great field, great working conditions, plus I am going to keep attending school and will get my Doctor of Pharmacy in 4 years. Also, my starting pay was MORE than $11.00 an hour. Take advantage of the program. It is a gift from the state and one would have to be a thick skulled moron not to take advantage. Best of luck scrabblegirl!!!! A word on Pharmacy Technician. If you are not strong in Math, you will have a very difficult time with much of the coursework. Math is one of my strong skills so it came pretty easily.

Old 06-08-2009, 09:20 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,776,462 times
There are so many empty slots in the health care field, I would be surprised if they were doing credit checks on applicants, which is stupid anyway...I shouldn't jump to conclusions, stupidity-wise-speaking, but frankly you're in good company these days if your credit is bad.

Old 06-08-2009, 09:30 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,697,507 times
This is the first i heard of this program. So i went and checked it out. Was i reading it right when you can apply for NWLB if you go only for one of the Work areas listed?
I was doing an online schooling from a college (not in Michigan) for medical transcriptionist, and i had to stop because i couldnt afford the payment every month. When you cant pay, you cant continue.

Old 06-08-2009, 09:54 AM

939 posts, read 2,683,448 times
This is where all of the courses are listed

Career Education Consumer Report

Old 06-08-2009, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineann View Post
This is the first i heard of this program.
Contact your local Michigan Works office and ask them about the No Worker Left Behind program. They have informational meetings you can attend where you can sign up for an orientation. The waiting list is long so you should call as soon as possible.

Old 06-08-2009, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Best of luck scrabblegirl!!!!
Thanks! It seems like NWLB is a big secret. It's good to hear a real success story.

Unfortunately, I don't already have a degree so I'll basically be starting over. MSU won't release my transcripts until my loan is paid off. It's probably for the best anyway. 16 years ago I was wandering aimlessly, racking up student loan debt with nothing to show for it. At least this time I have some great mentors and a specific direction...and enough life experience to know the consequences of slacking off at school.

Old 06-08-2009, 07:49 PM

29,568 posts, read 14,714,442 times
I think the NWLB is a good program, I've went thru the orientation and took the placement (?) test. Now I'm just waiting for my apointment with the caseworker. Now with that being said, I'm just really struggling to get a positive feel for it. I came from my "dream" job of 17 years that paid over six figures, been off 6 months now. So I'm having a hard time getting all worked up about trying to pick a field that I'm interested in where I'm going to be competing against younger degreed people. I don't have a degree and I'm 40. Sure the $5k the state gives you helps... helps you get some core classes in a new field. If there are more classes to get certified or degreed the cost is on you... kind of hard when you are trying to keep a roof over the families head. Now don't get me wrong .. I would just be happy working again but it's just hard to be positive thinking about something that you know is going to pay a third of what my previous salary was.
Also what are good fields ? All I hear is "the medical field" , that's great but not all of us can work with people in that environment. I don't know...it is pretty depressing and frustrating though.

Old 06-09-2009, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Sure the $5k the state gives you helps... helps you get some core classes in a new field. If there are more classes to get certified or degreed the cost is on you...
The program gives you $10,000, that's $5,000 each year up to two years. You can get a certificate or associates degree with that if you go to a community college. May I ask what part of the state you're in? Different fields are considered high-demand in different areas.

http://www.michigan.gov/nwlb/0,1607,...890---,00.html

You may be feeling frustrated because they haven't given you enough information. We were told that we had to do research and figure out which high-demand field we want to go into and find the educational plan before we can even attend the orientation. I have to print out the statistics and turn it in to the Michigan Works office the day before or I'll lose my place on the waiting list. Did they give you any "homework" to do before your next appointment?

Last edited by scrabblegirl; 06-09-2009 at 01:53 AM.. Reason: html tag problem
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
View detailed profiles of: