Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 11:34 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,009,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcd09 View Post
I have read through the faq's for the No Worker Left Behind Porgram and it states that it is a one-time offer and that you must complete your training within four years of starting the program. Does anyone know what happens if you don't finish your program within the 4 years? Do you have to pay the money back if you don't complete your program?
No you won't have to pay it back, but they won't pay for it any longer than 4 years.

So if you're going to school part time under NWLB, you need to still have your 2 year degree done within 4.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2009, 07:15 PM

131 posts, read 352,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth23 View Post
No you won't have to pay it back, but they won't pay for it any longer than 4 years.

So if you're going to school part time under NWLB, you need to still have your 2 year degree done within 4.
So what happens if after 2 years you have used up all of your nwlb money and decide no to finish your program out for whatever reason?

thanks for the help

Old 10-13-2009, 08:51 PM

1,828 posts, read 4,655,375 times
Quote:
So what happens if after 2 years you have used up all of your nwlb money and decide no to finish your program out for whatever reason?

thanks for the help
Then you don't finish the program and its over with, Any further is going to come out of your pocket unless you can get some other government grants.

Old 10-14-2009, 05:46 AM

24 posts, read 68,295 times
I have a question about the checklist for NWLB. It says I need 10 copies of job postings that I have applied to. I am a laid off golf course worker so do I need to call 10 different courses and inquire about hiring? Even though none of them would be hiring right now. I don't even know where to find 10 postings for grounds maintenance work. I am trying to get funding for Xray Tech and would like to start this January. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 10-14-2009, 11:28 AM

137 posts, read 331,616 times
I just returned from my meeting with a case worker and was informed the program is currently 'on hold' in Michigan. No funding available at this time. They hope to know more in a month or two on whether it will be re-enacted. I was told to use FAFSA and apply for a pell-grant with hopes the NWLB program kicks back in, then I can submit the fed forms to the state and hope the state of MI covers the costs. Oh boy, this is going to be fun to figure out.

Old 10-14-2009, 03:48 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,009,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by junior 88 fan View Post
I just returned from my meeting with a case worker and was informed the program is currently 'on hold' in Michigan. No funding available at this time. They hope to know more in a month or two on whether it will be re-enacted. I was told to use FAFSA and apply for a pell-grant with hopes the NWLB program kicks back in, then I can submit the fed forms to the state and hope the state of MI covers the costs. Oh boy, this is going to be fun to figure out.
Go to another MI works and inquire again, see if you get the same response.

Old 10-15-2009, 04:32 PM

1,828 posts, read 4,655,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by junior 88 fan View Post
I think it may depend on the Michigan works you goto, Some are out of money and some are not from what I understand. No matter what you do have to file FAFSA and get turned down before you get the money from NWLB. If you worked last year you probably wont qualify for money from FAFSA. They said even though I am funded by NWLB this year I may have to reapply again to FAFSA to get money from them first again next year. Which if I'm still not working I may qualify for.

Old 10-21-2009, 07:26 AM

17 posts, read 122,012 times
Quote:

thanks for the help
You have to come up with a study plan with the school advisor before the committee reviews your case. If you submit a plan that costs $10,000 for the first 2 years but requires more schooling than that, you won't be approved.

Also, for example, if you say you want to be a nurse but try to take a bunch of computer classes your first year, they won't blindly pay for it. You have to stick to the plan.

Old 10-22-2009, 10:59 AM

6 posts, read 29,379 times
I tried getting classes through this before I got laid off and also the NAFTA TRA program which is similar but pays a bit more in benefits. What a joke. Tons of red tape and the people I dealth with were rude or misinformed or downright didnt care.
Im 55 yrs old and they want me to waste my time taking basic english, math, etc the first year so maybe the 2nd year you actually take some courses related to the degree and right back at sqaure one with no job.
They were so overloaded with welfar recipients who didnt care about anything other then getting a check you could never get answers on what you needed to do.

Old 10-23-2009, 11:44 AM

83 posts, read 242,246 times
My husband did it last year and it was a joke. They had so many hoops to jump it was crazy. He went to IN. and they just handed him a check for 6,000.00 to go to school no jumping involved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
View detailed profiles of: