Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 06:28 AM

29,513 posts, read 14,679,331 times

Advertisements

Okay, maybe I misunderstood how much money was involved. And yes I did have some "homework" to do. The funny thing is my previous job was on their list, once I saw that i kind of lost some faith in the program. I'm in Macomb county.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 09:55 PM

3,120 posts, read 8,068,219 times
You don't have to pay any of this back? I suppose that the trick is to figure out which training results in the best bang-for-your-buck. Which of the one and two year degrees will put you in a situation where you might actually be able to get $30-$35,000/year plus benefits.

Old 06-10-2009, 05:03 AM

17 posts, read 122,110 times
Let me start with the disclaimer that I'm just starting out with NWLB and am not an expert. I could be wrong, but this is info based on how I understand it. You really need to contact the Michigan Works office to find out specifics and how to research wage info.

I'd say the hottest track appears to be Registered Nurse. I went to the informational meeting at OCC and there is a waiting list BUT if you work hard and have excellent grades you go to the top of the list. Not sure how it is in other parts of the state.

Peter B gave the link to the site with all of the available programs within this thread. Once you find a program you like, you have to do the research and show them that it is high-demand in your area.

Oh, and for anyone reading about this program for the first time, you have to fill out a FAFSA to see if you qualify for the regular student aid before they allow you into the NWLB program anyway. If you're on unemployment, you may qualify for Federal grants and loans for 2010 because your 2009 income will probably be much lower than usual. So even if you're going for an associates through NWLB, you could possibly get better funding through FAFSA next year and go for a bachelors degree, I would think.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:59 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,011,845 times
I'm going to school through NWLB. I paid the first year and a half out of pocket, then finally got accepted to NWLB once I entered the Radiography program at the local CC. I would be concerned with starting to recieve money from them if you have it listed to go into RN or Radiography or something that involves a stiff competition to get into the program because I would not doubt if they state says you no longer qualify if you don't get accepted into the program. Don't think you're going to automatically get into a program either, RN and other health programs regularly take 20 or so people a year with over a hundred applicants.

All that being said, NWLB is good, especially considering you can get it while still getting unemployment.

Old 06-12-2009, 10:09 PM

151 posts, read 345,684 times
Hello,

I am also going to school (Macomb Community College) through NWLB. I have earned 44 credits so far (I started school in January 2008. The program not only pays for your tuition but it also pays for your books and pays you $7.00 per day for each day you attend class.

Paul

Old 06-23-2009, 05:37 PM

2 posts, read 6,419 times
i wanted to use the nwlb for a film course that is only a year program. seems good since this past year jenny from the block has been building up the media hype that our state will see lots of studios filming here. well, i inquired about it and was told that oakland county will not fund it nor will wayne county. nwlb states that its focused on emerging sectors or established sectors that continue to grow. isnt the film industry one of those??? what a joke - they only want to cover the jobs they want you to fill. i wonder if i applied as a nail technician or an animal breeder - wow! because thats what i want to go into. who knew the state would know exactly what i needed. (insert sarcasm here)

Old 08-06-2009, 05:36 PM

1 posts, read 3,111 times
Default Nwlb

I have been off for about 4 months now so i may have shot myself in the foot. Went to the orientation a couple of months ago and came out with little info. Does NWLB pay for a online school in pharmacy Tech? A school like Penn Foster or Ashworth? Also do i forfeit my unemployment if i take the NWLB money?

Wacker57

Old 08-06-2009, 08:48 PM

1 posts, read 3,142 times
Does anyone know if you can collect unemployment benefits the entire time you are going to school under the NWLB program? The government had a similar program 12 years or so ago under NAFTA that paid for up to 2 years of school and allowed you to collect unemployment the entire time PROVIDED you were in school full-time and year round. We had waiver forms that we had to get signed by the professors and fax them in before we called MARVIN. With the delays in the NWLB program, it's impossible to finish your schooling before your unemployment runs out. Also, I'm considering a medical degree which requires 40+ hour weeks of clinicals along with caring for 2 school age children as a single father. This would be nearly impossible without some type of unemployment income. Any input from someone who has gotten this far in the program would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-07-2009, 09:38 AM

161 posts, read 278,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
If you are not strong in Math, you will have a very difficult time with much of the coursework. Math is one of my strong skills so it came pretty easily.
Hey this is a field I have been interested in for years. I have 3 kids and i choose to stay home and take care of them now that my "baby" is 8 I am ready to get my a$$ off the couch so to speak and start looking at getting training in this field.

I was curious how hard the math really was? If you can understand Algebra are you OK or is it way more complicated than that?

I am off to research the links and see of I qualify for NWLB.

Old 10-12-2009, 09:41 PM

131 posts, read 352,725 times
I have read through the faq's for the No Worker Left Behind Porgram and it states that it is a one-time offer and that you must complete your training within four years of starting the program. Does anyone know what happens if you don't finish your program within the 4 years? Do you have to pay the money back if you don't complete your program?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
View detailed profiles of: