Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 04:29 AM

3,120 posts, read 8,067,455 times

Advertisements

...and I thought the $60/month I'm paying to heat the hot water tank in my apartment was excessive. My folks showed me a $350/month bill they received for their house a couple months back. I guess I'll count my blessings. In the meantime I have electric heat here and the electric bill's not so bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2009, 01:47 PM

217 posts, read 608,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Depending on where you are , electric heat can be cheaper than gas. I am installing Hydroponic heat fired by an electric boiler. About half the cost of gas , here in Marquette. ( new construction ). I will also have the option of supplementing with wood as well.
I'm in MQT as well and I've been contemplating a switch to electric baseboard heaters, or a hybrid gas/electric (replacing some of my hot water radiators with baseboard electric heaters, primarily upstairs where the radiators don't seem to get as hot).

I want to say my house is about 1200 sq ft. on the main floor, plus I have two bedrooms upstairs and a basement (which is unheated). My gas bill the past two months has been about $285 through SEMCO (which is the highest I've had for my house) and I just had new windows installed in December, too. Granted, I also have an inefficient 25-30 year old furnace and know temps in December and January were very cold, so there have been some factors into it.

My electric bill has consistently run about $40/month and that's with three or four people living in the house (I rent out a few rooms to college kids). The past two months have been unusually high, though... $100 and $60... and I'm not exactly sure why. Well, I think I know the cause of the $100 bill, but the $60 bill for January I'm not, especially since I was gone most of the month and there were only two people there and it's not like they're running 50 appliances all day. Someone must have been partying like a rockstar for a few days or something

I asked a few places about a new gas furnace and had quotes ranging from $6K (for an 85% efficient furnace) to over $10K . Yikes! My parents live downstate and got a 90% furnace for $4K, so I'm not sure how the local shops are calculating their costs, but all it's doing it pushing me away from them. And I can install the electric baseboard heaters almost all by myself, save for a few things I'll need an electrician for. But it probably won't even cost me a quarter of what a new furnace would (do it yourself saves a lot on labor costs). I don't know if going all electric would be cheaper, but it would save me at least $4K based on the prices I have been quoted on a new furnace and that would take several years to make up. And I think under local ordinances I could then get rid of my chimney, which would free up some much needed space in the bathroom, so there are certainly some positives to the switch.

A place I rented before had electric baseboard heaters and our winter bill was usually around $130/month. The highest was $180 and that's because the heater in the basement didn't have a thermostat, it just ran constantly on "HI." Once we turned that one off, it cut $50 off the bill. That was about 3-4 years ago, but still very reasonable.

But before making any switch to electric, I need to upgrade some of the insulation on the house. I can easily see on my roof where the snow melts faster in some spots than others.

Old 02-13-2009, 02:08 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,946,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceGhost79 View Post
I'm in MQT as well and I've been contemplating a switch to electric baseboard heaters, or a hybrid gas/electric (replacing some of my hot water radiators with baseboard electric heaters, primarily upstairs where the radiators don't seem to get as hot).

I want to say my house is about 1200 sq ft. on the main floor, plus I have two bedrooms upstairs and a basement (which is unheated). My gas bill the past two months has been about $285 through SEMCO (which is the highest I've had for my house) and I just had new windows installed in December, too. Granted, I also have an inefficient 25-30 year old furnace and know temps in December and January were very cold, so there have been some factors into it.

My electric bill has consistently run about $40/month and that's with three or four people living in the house (I rent out a few rooms to college kids). The past two months have been unusually high, though... $100 and $60... and I'm not exactly sure why. Well, I think I know the cause of the $100 bill, but the $60 bill for January I'm not, especially since I was gone most of the month and there were only two people there and it's not like they're running 50 appliances all day. Someone must have been partying like a rockstar for a few days or something

I asked a few places about a new gas furnace and had quotes ranging from $6K (for an 85% efficient furnace) to over $10K . Yikes! My parents live downstate and got a 90% furnace for $4K, so I'm not sure how the local shops are calculating their costs, but all it's doing it pushing me away from them. And I can install the electric baseboard heaters almost all by myself, save for a few things I'll need an electrician for. But it probably won't even cost me a quarter of what a new furnace would (do it yourself saves a lot on labor costs). I don't know if going all electric would be cheaper, but it would save me at least $4K based on the prices I have been quoted on a new furnace and that would take several years to make up. And I think under local ordinances I could then get rid of my chimney, which would free up some much needed space in the bathroom, so there are certainly some positives to the switch.

A place I rented before had electric baseboard heaters and our winter bill was usually around $130/month. The highest was $180 and that's because the heater in the basement didn't have a thermostat, it just ran constantly on "HI." Once we turned that one off, it cut $50 off the bill. That was about 3-4 years ago, but still very reasonable.

But before making any switch to electric, I need to upgrade some of the insulation on the house. I can easily see on my roof where the snow melts faster in some spots than others.
yes , I ran into the high prices when getting quotes for new construction. I think a lot of the high costs in Marquette , are due to the Unions. ( Not all contractors are union , but , the union sets the price ) I was getting cost around 40,000 for complete system., ouch !..... Thats when I decided to do it myself , with no duct work , a simpler more direct approach...electric hot water heat , tubes in the floor system. The electric rates from Marquette Light board are the cheapest around the UP. Running the poles and wire was not , but , now its done..... If I ever decide to do AC , I will use a high velocity tube ducted system. Don't need any high priced tin knockers.

Old 02-13-2009, 03:08 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,848,066 times
Quote:
yes , I ran into the high prices when getting quotes for new construction. I think a lot of the high costs in Marquette , are due to the Unions. ( Not all contractors are union , but , the union sets the price ) I was getting cost around 40,000 for complete system., ouch !..... Thats when I decided to do it myself , with no duct work , a simpler more direct approach...electric hot water heat , tubes in the floor system. The electric rates from Marquette Light board are the cheapest around the UP. Running the poles and wire was not , but , now its done..... If I ever decide to do AC , I will use a high velocity tube ducted system. Don't need any high priced tin knockers.
We put in tube ducting for a spacepack high velocity system, but the spacepack unit costs $6000 . We ran out of money so out house has lots of nice ducting with no AC

We lookedinto the radiant floor hot water system and it was insanely expensive. The price for the materials was all jacked up becuase it was so popular. We used antique cast iron radiors instead. I read that these are actually the most efficient type of hydronic heating.

I wish that we had an electric boiler. Gas is expensive. Maybe we will add an electric boiler later so we cna switch from one to the other with the price changes.

Old 02-13-2009, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
We put in tube ducting for a spacepack high velocity system, but the spacepack unit costs $6000 . We ran out of money so out house has lots of nice ducting with no AC

We lookedinto the radiant floor hot water system and it was insanely expensive. The price for the materials was all jacked up becuase it was so popular. We used antique cast iron radiors instead. I read that these are actually the most efficient type of hydronic heating.

I wish that we had an electric boiler. Gas is expensive. Maybe we will add an electric boiler later so we cna switch from one to the other with the price changes.
I guess I will see. When I priced the tubing , it looked like not that expensive.
There will be valves , and reflective materials also. I am putting the tubes under the floor in the truss system , as I have a basement. A lot of folks around here are doing that. Much easer than above floor system, which if you buy the sub flooring for it , now , thats really expensive ! We don't need AC , except for a few days, and , I am on a Mountain top over looking Lake Superior.

Old 02-14-2009, 01:17 PM

217 posts, read 608,144 times
Quote:
I have a gas water heater right now which still runs me $50/month in the summer, mainly from people taking showers. That still seems high to me. Again, the place I rented with electric baseboard heaters, our summer electric bill would run $50/month and that was for electric use, electric heaters (if needed...you never know during summer in MQT), and electric water heater. Seems like we got more bang for our buck.

I've considered switching to an electric water heater as a result, but does anyone have electric Point of Use water heaters installed? If so, what brand are you using and how do you like it? How much are you saving on your water bill over using an old fashion gas or electric water heater? I've seen a few models at Menards and Lowes. I know it costs a bit more initially, but the savings over the long haul should make up for it.

Old 02-14-2009, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceGhost79 View Post
I have a gas water heater right now which still runs me $50/month in the summer, mainly from people taking showers. That still seems high to me. Again, the place I rented with electric baseboard heaters, our summer electric bill would run $50/month and that was for electric use, electric heaters (if needed...you never know during summer in MQT), and electric water heater. Seems like we got more bang for our buck.

I've considered switching to an electric water heater as a result, but does anyone have electric Point of Use water heaters installed? If so, what brand are you using and how do you like it? How much are you saving on your water bill over using an old fashion gas or electric water heater? I've seen a few models at Menards and Lowes. I know it costs a bit more initially, but the savings over the long haul should make up for it.
Everything I have heard about these tankless water heaters has been negative. They only work well when used at point of use , not whole house. The best system , is using your hot water boiler as a source , with a recovery system tank , and valving. Tank less water heaters are prone to run out of hot water quickly. There are also electric pumps that keep the hot water circulating , and under pressure , that work better and can only be used with a volume of ready hot water. The use of 3/4 inch piping , insulated through out the system , also helps. If you have a rain shower , it is a must. Volume is whats it is all about. I believe in the use of very large bladder pressure tanks also , but , then I have a well. I buy all my equipment on Ebay , taking advantage of deals available from different suppliers. It takes me a while to get all the stuff together , but , in the end , I will have a state of the art system , for half the cost. My rain shower head is 14 " in dia , Hansgrohe , the best available. Can't beat the German products when you can afford them.

Old 02-14-2009, 07:05 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,359,408 times
State-of-the-art water pressure uses a VERY small tank. Six gallons in fact. I have houses pumping 70 GPM with this system. It can be set in zones. 70 for the outside and sprinklers. 20 in the kitchen and bathroom, anyway the customer wants to do it.

http://www.constantpressure.com/ Take the "test drive".

Old 02-14-2009, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
State-of-the-art water pressure uses a VERY small tank. Six gallons in fact. I have houses pumping 70 GPM with this system. It can be set in zones. 70 for the outside and sprinklers. 20 in the kitchen and bathroom, anyway the customer wants to do it.

Increase Water Pressure, Constant Pressure, in Water Wells with Franklin Electric Constant Pressure Systems Take the "test drive".
Goes to prove you can learn something new every day. Thanks.

Old 02-16-2009, 09:10 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,768,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaalspawn View Post
...and I thought the $60/month I'm paying to heat the hot water tank in my apartment was excessive. My folks showed me a $350/month bill they received for their house a couple months back. I guess I'll count my blessings. In the meantime I have electric heat here and the electric bill's not so bad.
I suggest you get one of those sweaters for the tank to save money. I keep not getting around to buying one myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan