Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 08:10 AM

3,742 posts, read 8,403,000 times

Advertisements

Hi there. I'm from Missouri, specifically St. Louis, and have been looking to move to other states in the Midwest after I graduate from school at Saint Louis University as a financial analyst. I've looked at Chicago as one possible move, but i wanted to know what a place like Michigan has to offer...what kind of opportunities would Detroit have for me? or Lansing? or Grand Rapids? As I like the part of the Midwest where I am from, but would like to be much closer to the Great Lakes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2008, 02:34 PM

2 posts, read 5,080 times
Hi zurn here. Believe Lansing or possibly Grand Rapids would be good choices as would Kalamazoo, Brighton, Sterling heights. All good cities Ann arbor always a lot going on in that town. Ok been through Chicago geez the traffic. Ok good luck

Old 09-29-2008, 09:56 AM

2,947 posts, read 7,023,354 times
My opinion for Lansing area.. financial positions may be few and far between, the larger of employers would be with the state itself (are they hiring yet? I know the state was under a freeze..). I don't know enough about GR or Detroit economies to know what your prospects would be. However, you're competing with quite a few displaced workers, so expect to see lower wage / fewer benefits / while still paying higher cost of living.

While I dearly love the GL's and all their incredible offerings... I think I would personally look into either Columbus or Cinci for a while until MI turns around.

Old 09-29-2008, 11:38 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,857,385 times
You should probably stick withthe West side of the state. The economy is better there and it is prettier. quite a few opportunities in medical related fields.

Old 09-29-2008, 08:39 PM

3,120 posts, read 8,068,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Hi there. I'm from Missouri, specifically St. Louis, and have been looking to move to other states in the Midwest after I graduate from school at Saint Louis University as a financial analyst. I've looked at Chicago as one possible move, but i wanted to know what a place like Michigan has to offer...what kind of opportunities would Detroit have for me? or Lansing? or Grand Rapids? As I like the part of the Midwest where I am from, but would like to be much closer to the Great Lakes.
Go to Chicago; Michigan has little to offer but unemployment and unemployed masses. Seriously, do yourself a favor.

Old 09-30-2008, 07:05 PM

209 posts, read 658,179 times
if you cant get a job here then look elsewhere. dont come here unless you have a job. if i were you i would stay away from detroit or the east side of the state in general and look into the west like grand rapids and kalamazoo.

Old 10-01-2008, 08:07 AM

31 posts, read 189,240 times
Detroit is really being turned around since the "Detroit" days of pre-2000. Now that Kwame Kilpatrick (corrupt mayor for past couple years) is in jail and the new mayor took over, it'll be even better. I love the motown scene and all the festivals right downtown are great!

Old 10-01-2008, 12:11 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,857,385 times
That is truye. If I were young and single or at least childless, I would consider moving downtown. There are a lot of neat things going on.

Old 10-02-2008, 05:38 AM

3,130 posts, read 3,077,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
I'm not entirely sure what the opportunities are, but one thing to keep in mind is that finding a job in a specific field is about how many jobs of that type are available in the area. A lot of people talk about how Michigan's economy is terrible and you won't be able to find a job anywhere, but it's more complicated than that. If there is a need for entry-level financial analysts in Michigan, and there's a decent amount of employment in that area, you'd probably be able to get a job here. My suggestion - check out an employment website, see how many jobs there are in your field of interest in that region, then divide by the area's population - that should give you a better idea of what the job climate is.

Old 10-02-2008, 11:54 AM

915 posts, read 1,507,037 times
Detroit is the place to be. We are a regional center for a lot of firms. Grand Rapids is growing too. Also, check out hospital websites - that's one of the industries that is growing around here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan