Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 11:50 AM

7 posts, read 11,029 times

Advertisements

Hi there, Im doing some research on different states and areas to plan for a move sometime in the near future. One of the places that stands out to me is Michigan, not really any one particular place, just been browsing the scenic pictures, cost of living, possible job opportunities etc. Curious to know if they are any folks out there who have some input on Michigan and any of its cities. I think Michigan is beautiful just by what the internet gives me seems that there is lots to do. I from Texas and I'm ready to get out, the summers are too hot and long, there is no such thing as four seasons here and would love a place that has them. Again internet shows that Michigan has that. Those Pure Michigan commercials just make u fall in love with it, I have also seen many things on the internet from how do yall call it, Michiganders that say they hate it, seem like most of them are younger and maybe wanna get out of there as do most young ppl where ever they are from. I seen a few spoof pure Michigan commercials which I'm sure is meant to be a humorous contrast to the real commercials but they do show u a real view of some of the things in Michigan so now im like hmmmmm....what to do...any advice??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2012, 12:32 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,611,480 times
Most people who don't like Michigan don't like the economy. Because of Detroit, as you know, much of the economy is/was based on manufacturing. Other parts of Michigan are somewhat less dependent on manufacturing or are trying to diversify into other things (healthcare is one of the bigger industries growing in Michigan), but overall, the recession hit us pretty hard (if not the hardest) and so that stuck with a lot of people. We're starting to comeback, but it's a really sloooooooow comeback.

Old 09-16-2012, 01:03 PM

Default Thanks

Yea I guess you're right everyone does throw out the words "poor economy" any time u mention Michigan, but as for my interests I don't even consider moving anywhere near Detroit, I'm looking more towards the Northern part really. For myself healthcare is good, because I am currently studying to become a Respiratory Therapist. Are there many jobs concerning the manufacturing or putting up of Wind Turbines? My dad works in that field and they too are looking to move, and I'm trying to convince them to move along with me or near me and the instant i said Michigan of course the phrase was no jobs.

Old 09-16-2012, 01:10 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,808,925 times
Well, I wouldn't eliminate the greater Detroit area altogether. There are lovely areas that are within commuting distance of Detroit but seem very far removed. We moved to Oakland County from Tennessee over a year ago, and we really love Michigan. For us, it's the best place we've ever lived (TX, MS, TN (two different cities), PA). Again, for us, the diversity and culture is blended well with the lifestyle and attitudes of the people (unlike NYC, IMO).

We like Ann Arbor and Kalamazoo also - for different reasons. I think MI has a lot to offer, much more than most of the places we've lived anyway. Good luck to you!!

Old 09-16-2012, 01:24 PM

1,145 posts, read 1,645,654 times
If you're talking northern Michigan meaning the northern lower peninsula then the Traverse City area can't be beat (imo). I don't know about jobs in wind turbines, but Munson is the big hospital in Traverse where your skills might get you a job there.

Those "Pure Michigan" ads are showing the real deal. Michigan is beautiful. The ads don't show winter so factor in we have cold winters usually getting a lot of snow here in the north. Last year was an exception being a very mild winter. All kinds of things to do here no matter what your interests. Food and local wines are great and getting acclaim for their high quality. Good Luck!

Old 09-16-2012, 01:59 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,611,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bri4531 View Post
Yea I guess you're right everyone does throw out the words "poor economy" any time u mention Michigan, but as for my interests I don't even consider moving anywhere near Detroit, I'm looking more towards the Northern part really. For myself healthcare is good, because I am currently studying to become a Respiratory Therapist. Are there many jobs concerning the manufacturing or putting up of Wind Turbines? My dad works in that field and they too are looking to move, and I'm trying to convince them to move along with me or near me and the instant i said Michigan of course the phrase was no jobs.
It really depends on his skill level. Factory work is hard to find, but engineering and R&D jobs ought to be a lot easier to land if he meets the credentials. The only thing I know about the wind turbines is that they're made near Chicago.

Old 09-16-2012, 03:16 PM

Wow, thanks good to hear from ppl who aren't originally from Michigan as I would be as well as natives, and from what the internet can give me I'm totally in love with what it shows me. Michigan does look very beautiful, I definitely invite the weather/seasons. I've looked at all those cities, Anne arber, Traverse, Kalamazoo and everyone of them look great. My mother and I want to plan a mini vacay to Michigan just to get a feel for it see it for ourselves I'm hoping she falls in love with it so she will convince my dad to move along as well so we can all be in the same state.

Old 09-16-2012, 07:44 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,890,387 times
I don't know what the future is for wind turbines, but they are finishing up a 59 or 60 turbine wind project in my County. It might also depend on what aspect of wind turbines he works on. The actual erecting of the turbines themselves, the hooking them to the grid, the site prep, etc.... I do know there is talk about more projects on the west side of the State but haven't heard how those plans are progressing.

Old 09-16-2012, 08:15 PM

2 posts, read 1,735 times
Hi there,

I am originally from Michigan and moved away to the south for a few years (it was hot!), then I missed the midwest (culture & lifestyle), so I moved back up north (not back to michigan tho). I am currently looking to move back to Michigan, however, because I realize now that michigan isnt all that bad. I don't know how you'll adapt to the winters (they are loooong, very snowy and cold) and thats the one thing I am not looking forward to (at least the snow...I actually dont mind the cold, and I like dressing in winter clothes) but I have noticed that everywhere I have moved, people say "why would you move here?!" likes it the most horrible place they could imagine...

Home will always be where you feel the most comfortable and where you feel you fit in. If your family moves with you, I think that would help you adjust, and there are people who cant find work in every state, it just depends on what field you are in. There are great cities in Michigan. However, it will be very different from Texas. It a lot to think about and you dont want to be disappointed. Weather is not everything. I can understand that you want a change of scenery though, thats how I was. For me, I needed to get out of state to find out what was important to Me. I have really learned alot.

Best wishes to you and your decision/journey

Old 09-16-2012, 08:27 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,603,514 times
I would guess that MI four seasons would be little bit too much for a Texan. MI is not Siberia, for sure, actually it wouldn't hurt for lower 1/3rd of MI to get little bit colder, because endless freeze and melt cycles of the Southern Michigan combined with seemingly perpetual cloud cover and humidity may test the most cheerful and sunny dispositions. Yup, 25F with snow is infinitely more pleasant than humid 35F with slush going to ice and back to slush, and that's how your typical Southern MI winter of 21st century would look like. Don't forget about cloud cover, it does get on your nerves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan