Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 09:30 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,093,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomintheKnow View Post
Hi YAZ!

I grew up in Alpena and lived there until 1995. We moved across the state to Traverse City, and absolutely LOVE it over here! I loved growing up in Alpena (although admittedly, I didn't have anything else to compare to, since that's the only place I lived as a child) but as an adult, it became difficult to make a living there. On the other hand, T.C. has been wonderful to us and our kids. We visit Alpena fairly often, to see family and friends, but Grand Traverse is home to us now. Just curious, have you lived in Alpena, or just visited?

Visitor.

Thunder Bay is one of the most beautiful places on earth. I have relatives in TC, and even though I love it there, I prefer Leland.

Oh.

I should mention that I'm a Yooper. Born in the Soo; raised in Rudyard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2008, 02:35 AM

1,069 posts, read 3,200,192 times
I was just about ready to pack it up a month ago, but now I have landed a good paying job in my primary trade as a printing press operator and they just keep wanting me to work more hours 40,45 now 50 and some Saturdays on the horizon. It's nice to come out of the check cashing line at Wal-Mart now and have a difficult time gettin the wallet closed cause it's stacked with paper. I knew it all along, you just have to be patient with the Michigan economy and keep putting out the resumes, network, and keep trying. Unless you absolutely have to, never cut and run because the grass isn't always greener in other states so many are leaving for.

Old 08-06-2008, 09:32 AM

336 posts, read 908,810 times
I finally got an interview scheduled!!!

Old 08-06-2008, 02:07 PM

550 posts, read 2,053,191 times
It's wild blueberry picking time!!!
All you have to do is visit one of my favorite state parks-Wilderness State Park near Mackinaw (my former place of employment) or Tahquamenon State Park-ask a ranger where to look (or ask me) and go wild picking blueberries-make sure you talk loud so no bears join you

OR at Michigan Cranberry Company you can go and pick and just make a donation to a local school-could be cheaper than a state park...

Or if you are lucky enough to have them in your backyard-happy picking

man, i miss Michigan!!!

Old 08-06-2008, 02:36 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,485,182 times
Quote:
It's wild blueberry picking time!!!
All you have to do is visit one of my favorite state parks-Wilderness State Park near Mackinaw (my former place of employment) or Tahquamenon State Park-ask a ranger where to look (or ask me) and go wild picking blueberries-make sure you talk loud so no bears join you
I'm camping in Wilderness State park in two weeks...didn't know they had bears when I reserved the spot (gulp!). I wonder if they'll still have blueberries there by then.

Old 08-06-2008, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
I'm camping in Wilderness State park in two weeks...didn't know they had bears when I reserved the spot (gulp!). I wonder if they'll still have blueberries there by then.

HAVE FUN!! i LOVE wilderness- i was the park's "explorer guide" for a summer and it was honestly one of my all time favorite jobs! bears will leave you alone....i must say though that when i was ending a program at night and i had to wait til everyone was gone and i walked back to headquarters alone i talked to myself to keep creatures away

they very likely might have some blueberries yet-easiest place i can tell you to look is by the pond-there is a trail-if you turn right you will see all the low-lying blueberry plants...yummmmm.....or just ask one of the rangers-but that is the the easiest place to find them

Old 08-06-2008, 06:13 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,485,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by: mofromcheboygankalamazoo
they very likely might have some blueberries yet-easiest place i can tell you to look is by the pond-there is a trail-if you turn right you will see all the low-lying blueberry plants...yummmmm.....or just ask one of the rangers-but that is the the easiest place to find them
thanks for the tip Mo, I'll look for them. Mmmmm....blueberries.....

Old 08-06-2008, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
thanks for the tip Mo, I'll look for them. Mmmmm....blueberries.....

You're welcome!
I wish i were going with you
so many things to do at that park!!!
share with us when you get back what you did!

Old 08-06-2008, 06:17 PM

302 posts, read 580,567 times
Default The truck is here!

ABF just dropped a 26 foot trailor in front of my house in California. Tomorrow our friends are coming over to help us pack up and Sunday we are leaving for our new home in Michigan! I am sooo excited, a little sad to be saying goodbye to our friends but looking forward to meeting some new ones.

Old 08-06-2008, 06:54 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,437,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof11 View Post
ABF just dropped a 26 foot trailor in front of my house in California. Tomorrow our friends are coming over to help us pack up and Sunday we are leaving for our new home in Michigan! I am sooo excited, a little sad to be saying goodbye to our friends but looking forward to meeting some new ones.
You could take Historical "Route 66" from Santa Monica, CA. all the way up to Chicago,Ill. First it would be a staight shot East, AZ, N.M.,TX(pan handle) to Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.

Have a Good Trip
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan