Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 10:41 PM

31 posts, read 157,309 times

Advertisements

Quick back story, end of April I broke up with my ex and she moved out. I told my landlord about what was going on and they said "don't worry, pay half price ($325) we're filing bankruptcy and after about 6 months (which would be around the time the lease expired) you'll have to move because they will foreclose." So I figured, I may as well get the stuff I need on the first few checks (bed, silverware, dishes, tv stand) and then start saving up from there.

Well today she notifies be that they are going to be served a foreclosure notice soon and I have about a month to move out.

Which puts me in quite the tight spot as I have nothing saved up so far and only two checks until the end of the month. With those two checks I need to find a place that I can move into. I'm looking for maybe $500 or less. Anybody have suggestions for downtown? Kentwood and Wyoming are deffinetly out of the question as I work on the northwest side of town just out of Walker, and I'd also prefer not to live in an apartment complex (Windgate, etc.) I'd love to live in a high rise, but I dont think that can happen as I have a sattellite. Also I'd prefer not to have roommates as I don't like the idea of living with someone you don't really know.

Some other things to consider. I make $10/hr 40hrs/wk. I have roughly 300 to 400 in bills. I have sattellite tv. I don't want to have to pay for heating gas if at all neccessary, I think that factor could really end up , messing me up.

I've checked craigslist, Heritagehillweb, rentgr and other sites like that. I've also called Dwelling Place and am awaiting a call back. Any other suggestions, or does anyone know of anything else out there?

Also, if I go the route of a studio apartment, any decorating suggestions to divide the room so its not "Here's my couch and here's my bed"?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2008, 10:50 PM

240 posts, read 838,532 times
Can't give you any advice on your area, but maybe you can find a sublet or a studio with a closet that is large enough to fit a small bed or futon, though that might be too cramped.

Old 06-02-2008, 11:12 PM

Thanks for the suggestion Dura, unfortunately I just bought a queen size mattress not too long ago, so that'd have to be in awfully big closet.

Old 06-03-2008, 12:54 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,848,066 times
Plenty of vacant houses in Detroit. Just find one and move in.

Old 06-03-2008, 03:59 AM

Good idea, but I think the commute to GR would be outrageous! lol

Old 06-03-2008, 10:53 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,848,066 times
My brother has a simlar problem. He is not near GR but what he ended up doing is finding an old junky trailer home in a park. He bought the trailer for like $500. The park rent is something like $290 a month. The trailer needs a lot of work (for example, it has no doors), but he is handy and desperate. Maybe you can do something similar.

Old 06-03-2008, 10:03 PM

Yeah, I'm not very handy, so I think I'll have to pass on the trailer with no doors. Thanks.

Old 06-04-2008, 01:32 AM

2,057 posts, read 3,414,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunflushables
Quick back story...
Holy cripe, you're the best! You blew your money on silverware when your bank account was empty, you can't rent a studio because of your queen size and you can't take a crappy trailer because you might get your hands dirty. LOL. Can I have your autograph? Better yet, can I have a picture for a tattoo with "Made in Detroit" under it? You are my hero!

Old 06-04-2008, 05:40 AM

5,812 posts, read 18,838,562 times
Do you have friends or family you could live with for a while?
Can you sell some of your stuff? If you move into a smaller place you might not have room for it anyway.

Old 06-04-2008, 07:58 AM

211 posts, read 588,191 times
Just because your landlord gets served a foreclosure notice does not necessarily mean that you will have to vacate in a month. From the time the owner gets the foreclosure notice until the Sheriffs sale actually occurs is going to be at least a couple of months. Then there is a 6 month redemption period after the foreclosure sale that the owner (or tenant) can stay in the property. If you have a binding lease they will probably be forced to honor it. What is a more likely scenario is that your landlord has not been foreclosed on but has negotiated a "deed in lieu of foreclosure" agreement with the lender and has agreed to get out early. In return the bank usually pays them some money to insure that they do not trash the property (commonly referred to as cash for keys). Assuming you have a lease and are being asked to terminate it early, it would not be unreasonable to ask that they share some of the cash for keys money with you to pay for the inconvenience of terminating the lease early. This is based on a lot of assumptions but it may be worth getting some legal advice to find out where you stand. There is usually free legal advice available for tenants through state agencies. Might be worth a try.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan