Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 09:37 AM

792 posts, read 2,325,463 times

Advertisements

Signs and wonders! For once I agree with One Thousand.

That said, as Jswee points out, tenants have rights. Dislodging a tenant who refuses to leave will take more than 30 days. But I don't know all the details of how that works, and I imagine that if the owners start formal eviction procedures, it might adversely affect your credit rating.

I know you don't want to live in a complex, and I don't blame you, but I will mention anyway that I lived in a 1-BR apt. (not a studio) in a complex in Walker during 2006-2007 for ~$500/mo (Old Orchard, on Alpine & 4 mile). The BR was big enough for a queen-size bed. Unfortunately, they want you to sign a 13-month lease to get the best price. I didn't like it much, and I can see why it wouldn't be your first choice, but if you have stable employment in Walker, maybe you shouldn't rule out living in one of those complexes. You bought your bed, so now you'll have to sleep in it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2008, 10:06 AM

864 posts, read 1,721,700 times
Wow -- kind of weird that the landlord would let you pay half price if he was filing bankruptcy. His creditors are probably getting screwed because of it. Stop sponging off the guy and trying to find ways of extending it.

My thoughts kind of lean toward "One Thousand's". You're living beyond your means and you don't want to do anything about it. Increase your income or cut your expenses. You can find a cheaper place to live, get a roommate, get a better job, and/or get an additional job. Having the preferences that you do is fine when you can afford them -- when you can't, drop them.

There aren't many high rises in GR period and probably none you can afford regardless of satellite. You should probably just drop the satellite thing anyway. What's wrong with apartment complexes? BTW, you're in MI and you'll always have to pay for heating one way or another regardless if it's specifically itemized. If you're in an upper level apartment though -- your downstairs neighbors subsidize you to a degree. Good luck!

Old 06-04-2008, 02:40 PM

31 posts, read 157,309 times
I have to say One Thousand I love how you delight in others misfortunres. Classy.

But, on to more important things. No, I really am not living beyond my means. Yeah so I bought a crappy ass 200 dollar bed, I didn't realize people were not allowed to sleep in some comfort anymore. When the ex left she took her stuff which is everything that I have since replaced. I had to do it then because I had to save later for when the foreclosure was originally going to happen. And everything was on the cheap.

And no I am not ruling out complexes and room mates I'm just trying to see if I can find what I prefer first.

As for the satellite, I can't really drop that. I'm in a contract and to break it will cost even more money. Yeah its biting me in the ass now, but it was a good idea at the time. When we thought we had a good relationship and we didnt thnk our landlord was going to go into foreclosure. I've already cut down to the basic package there isnt much else I can do besides break the contract.

As for a better job? Yeah that would be nice, but in the current economic state if their is an opening the employer can be very picky and can choose the best educated or most expeirenced. I'm neither. I'm moving up in my job and hope to be getting a promotion soon. Its just getting to that point. A second job yeah I am deffinetly going to be looking for one of those.

Yeah, I know the high rises are more of a dream than anything. I just mentioned it so people could get an idea of what I like. Someone could look at that and say "Proabably a safe bet that he wouldn't like living out in the country".

As for tenants rights though, I called Urban League and they said that once the foreclosure proccess begins the only thing I can do is pack my bags. I couldn't meet with one of their people because they're all gone until tomorrow, so the receptionist really couldnt answer any other questions. I'm going to be looking into it though.

Anyways, I did some number crunching and it looks like I can pay 500 a month and there are places on the hill that are cheaper than that. So I think its going to be ok.

For those who helped, I thank you. For those who found amusement watching someone trying to enter adulthood under these circumstances, I really hope that bad times don't fall upon you. And if they, do be sure to let me know, so I can chuckle at your deserving karma.

Old 06-04-2008, 05:24 PM

845 posts, read 3,272,824 times
Maybe it's time to part with the satellite TV? Just thinking... Comcast has a $13/mo. base package that gets you the local channels. We have that instead of expensive cable or expensive satellite.

Old 06-04-2008, 05:47 PM

I can't really just get rid of it, like I said I signed a contract when I got it. If I cancel while I'm still under contract,fees galore. I'm going to look into it though. Just in case it isnt as bad as I think it could be.

Old 06-04-2008, 09:53 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,728,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunflushables View Post
Also, if I go the route of a studio apartment, any decorating suggestions to divide the room so its not "Here's my couch and here's my bed"?

Thanks.
Well -- with a queen sized bed there's almost no way in a studio apartment to avoid that.

I'd go with an affordable studio apartment -- so what if the bed it a bit big for the room?

Old 06-05-2008, 10:29 PM

I was thinking about those organization cubes or whatever they are called that you can get at meijer or target. They're like a compressed cardboard and they create stackable shelving. I could use those as a divider and book/dvd/anything else shelf. I just wonder how steady those would be standing unsupported.

I've also checked with the satellite provider and it would only be 160 to cancel service. So, I think I'm going to cancel.

Old 06-06-2008, 06:44 AM

9,376 posts, read 11,950,915 times
I have used the wire cubes for clothing and they work great and they look decent. Modern.

Good luck to you. It is not always easy, but it sounds like you are working on it!

Old 06-06-2008, 04:09 PM

214 posts, read 673,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunflushables View Post
I was thinking about those organization cubes or whatever they are called that you can get at meijer or target. They're like a compressed cardboard and they create stackable shelving. I could use those as a divider and book/dvd/anything else shelf. I just wonder how steady those would be standing unsupported.

I've also checked with the satellite provider and it would only be 160 to cancel service. So, I think I'm going to cancel.
They will allow you to "suspend" your account for up to 6 months, and on top of that, they won't charge you cancellation fees if you move somewhere that it's phyically impossible to use your dish (though they may send an installer to verify).

They're not heartless, you just have to ask the right questions.

Old 06-06-2008, 04:45 PM

26 posts, read 47,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Thousand View Post
Holy cripe, you're the best! You blew your money on silverware when your bank account was empty, you can't rent a studio because of your queen size and you can't take a crappy trailer because you might get your hands dirty. LOL. Can I have your autograph? Better yet, can I have a picture for a tattoo with "Made in Detroit" under it? You are my hero!
You are one negative SOB-- one day as you haunt people and their misfortunes online, may a troll crawl from your basement and bust you upside the head with your keyboard and leaves a giant old english "D" on your forehead!! It will be a troll from Detroit Michigan since all that live in Michigan are worthless and tolerate the government--in your opinion.

WOW I FEEL BETTER!!!!

Yes that sounds childish but how about helping a guy with OPTIONS and not OPINIONS!!! He is down on his luck and things didnt work out as planned, however many once again drag out the negative instead of thinking positive.

"The Unflushables" Things will get better and you will find that home, just think and stay positive -- many are in much worse situations that are out of their control-- that is life as you may know. We all have to hang out in the valley before we can be on top of a mountain. Take care of yourself!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan