Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 09:39 AM

355 posts, read 1,231,425 times

Advertisements

they say that because they are use to the Detroit area. There are things to do, but the violence gets the most coverage. They don't never talk about the neighboring cities like Birmingham and Royal Oak where it is beautiful and the landscaping is almost the best in the world.

Old 09-20-2009, 02:44 PM

25,899 posts, read 18,919,401 times
As a couple of you have said, each person has a different take on the weather/climate that suits them best. Personally, if I were for some reason forced to live in a place like Florida, Texas, or the gulf coast in general, I would just end up slitting my throat! I absolutely hate hot, baking sun weather. I just don’t tolerate it well and end up sitting in the house all the time. I suffer through each summer where I’m living now and basically the only time I’m happy about the weather is when it’s snowy during the winter or in the spring and fall when it’s overcast and cool.

I’ve been researching a move to Montana, North Dakota, Northern Maine, or UP Michigan/Northern LP Michigan for a long time. My attention keeps coming back to Michigan. That gloomy cool/cold weather that you all hate is just what the doctor ordered for me. I’d trade any of you in a heartbeat! If I can get about 70% cloudy/30% sunny, cold snowy winter, coolish summer, 4 seasons, green summer/colorful fall, I’d be a happy camper. Sounds like some of Michigan would fit the bill for me.

Old 09-20-2009, 03:05 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,092,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
I’ve been researching a move to Montana, North Dakota, Northern Maine, or UP Michigan/Northern LP Michigan for a long time.
If you really hate to be warm, most of Montana and ND are not particularly good bets because they get some very hot summer weather.

On the other hand the summers in Montana (and to a lesser degree ND) will give you generally lower humidity than MI and ME, on those days when it is hot.

I've been in northern Maine when it was very humid and hot enough for me to be uncomfortable - more from the humidity than the temperature, of course. The far northern states don't get that much hot weather, but when the Bermuda High is pulling up hot humid Gulf air, it can cover pretty much the whole US east of the Rockies.

Old 09-20-2009, 03:18 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,892,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
If you really hate to be warm, most of Montana and ND are not particularly good bets because they get some very hot summer weather.

On the other hand the summers in Montana (and to a lesser degree ND) will give you generally lower humidity than MI and ME, on those days when it is hot.

I've been in northern Maine when it was very humid and hot enough for me to be uncomfortable - more from the humidity than the temperature, of course. The far northern states don't get that much hot weather, but when the Bermuda High is pulling up hot humid Gulf air, it can cover pretty much the whole US east of the Rockies.
Northern Maine will get much hotter temp wise than most of Michigan will in the summer, and much colder than most of Michigan in the winter. Been there for almost 20 years and never failed to see it top 95 with high humidity every summer I was there. On the other side of the coin I never went a winter that it didn't spend many, many mornings -35 or lower every year.

Old 09-20-2009, 04:44 PM

25,899 posts, read 18,919,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post

Yes, Montana and ND look to have 'spikes' of hot weather in the summer. The area I'm in now is consistently above 90 degrees for 60 or 70 days per year (and regularly having spurts over 100). And yes, since I really want to get away from that consistent furnace in the summer, I've been leaning more toward MI.

It does get subzero once in a great while on a winter night in my area, but is normally in the teens, and winter daytime highs are high twenties to mid thirties mostly. It snows about 36 inches per year. I don't mind the cold and would love to see more snow. It seems the climate of Michigan would be a good match for me. Now, as for that job thing...

Old 09-20-2009, 05:26 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,686,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenM View Post
I started to realize about 15 years ago, that people viewed Michigan as a "Backwards, Hillbilly place." This realization hit when I was watching the tonight show; Jay Leno was interviewing Tim Allen (who was born and raised in Michigan). And Jay Leno began the interview something like this: So Tim, you live in Michigan? Do they even have running water yet?!" Tim laughs, the audience laughs and that was that. But it really struck me odd that Jay would ask a question like that.

And it seems some of the posts here on CD confirm these beliefs. But these posts go further to say that MI is a cold, dreary, ugly, flat-land, pile of nothing state! I am in shock to hear the number of people who also say that there is nothing to do here!

I would love to know the percentage of people who actually have been here and can still say that it's "dreary and cold 24/7."

Now I know the economy isn't the best right now and that is not what I am referring to (so
please no posts about: I hate Michigan because there are not jobs.. I think we've all have enough of that!) But have you ever seen the white sandy beaches in MI, or been to Mackinaw Island? Or Traverse City or the U.P. or anywhere in Detroit? There is a lot more to do here than that. If i knew how to post pictures, I would, so feel free to do so if you want!

Also I believe that MI truly gets a taste of all 4 seasons. Our summers are hot(IMHO) topping out at 95 degrees on many days in August. I love fall; the apple-picking, the pumpkin carving, the hiking,etc. And winter may start in November, but we don't ever really have a good snowfall until January.

But my favorite thing about MI is what a good place it is to raise a family, the great school systems, the focus on the family and the smell of a cool fall morning while sitting on the porch sipping a piping hot cup of coffee!
Hi, neighbor! I've been to your state many times and think it's lovely. Michigan has lots of rocks, trees, and water as my brother-in-law in the UP likes to say. As far as natural beauty goes, Michigan is a keeper and I love Warren Dunes! The only thing I don't like about Michigan is that it's colder than Ohio and I'm not crazy about Ohio's cold weather. As far as getting a great education and raising a family, I believe our states are pretty comparable. Also I've noticed that both of our states have a great southward migration each spring break, so I guess a lot of people are sick of our winters by that time.

Old 09-21-2009, 12:45 PM

541 posts, read 986,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent85 View Post
What's education have to do with the people? There's a lot of idiots out there that have degrees, I think we've all seen that at some point in our life.
Yeah,their the ones that got our state and country into this financial mess

Old 09-23-2009, 09:28 AM

943 posts, read 2,283,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenM View Post
I started to realize about 15 years ago, that people viewed Michigan as a "Backwards, Hillbilly place." This realization hit when I was watching the tonight show; Jay Leno was interviewing Tim Allen (who was born and raised in Michigan). And Jay Leno began the interview something like this: So Tim, you live in Michigan? Do they even have running water yet?!" Tim laughs, the audience laughs and that was that. But it really struck me odd that Jay would ask a question like that.
When I was a little kid circa 1982 and my Dad said we were moving to Michigan, [we lived in northern VA] I said, WHY ARE WE MOVING TO THE WILDERNESS?

To be frank, I dont know what Americans get out of living in areas that are nothing but soulless strip mall after strip mall, crowded traffic and worse.

Ive lived in IL and been to Ohio a lot. I consider both not near as beautiful as MICHIGAN. IL is ugly more brown and flat. Ohio is flat as pancake, at least north, goes on forever beling its little shape on USA maps. Columbus Ohio to me is ugly strip mall after strip mall and look alike roads. IL while there are sites in Chicago, lakefront etc, was JUST BORING, flat and dead suburb after another after you leave Chicago.

Many other states seems overcrowded as hell to me and look alike. They do not even have the 1800s buildings downtown that many Michigan towns have.

I hate sun and hot weather, so the cool cloudy stuff, is my favorite day. Its too hot now at 77 degrees for me! Living in the Sunbelt would be hell on earth to me.

Where I live in Michigan is overcrowded to me now, most people would consider ST. Joe a small area. 12,000 plus 12,000 of Benton Harbor.

But I came out of a smaller town then that and want to return either there, or another small town.

Old 09-25-2009, 02:19 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,297,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheredoIlive? View Post
When I was a little kid circa 1982 and my Dad said we were moving to Michigan, [we lived in northern VA] I said, WHY ARE WE MOVING TO THE WILDERNESS?

To be frank, I dont know what Americans get out of living in areas that are nothing but soulless strip mall after strip mall, crowded traffic and worse.

Ive lived in IL and been to Ohio a lot. I consider both not near as beautiful as MICHIGAN. IL is ugly more brown and flat. Ohio is flat as pancake, at least north, goes on forever beling its little shape on USA maps. Columbus Ohio to me is ugly strip mall after strip mall and look alike roads. IL while there are sites in Chicago, lakefront etc, was JUST BORING, flat and dead suburb after another after you leave Chicago.

Many other states seems overcrowded as hell to me and look alike. They do not even have the 1800s buildings downtown that many Michigan towns have.

I hate sun and hot weather, so the cool cloudy stuff, is my favorite day. Its too hot now at 77 degrees for me! Living in the Sunbelt would be hell on earth to me.

Where I live in Michigan is overcrowded to me now, most people would consider ST. Joe a small area. 12,000 plus 12,000 of Benton Harbor.

But I came out of a smaller town then that and want to return either there, or another small town.
If that's your view of Illinois and Ohio then I pity you for your ignorance.

Old 09-25-2009, 03:54 PM

271 posts, read 252,172 times
No but it is not most peoples cup of tea from november to May, it is cold, cloudy and way to much snow. Some people will say it is great but some people like cold toilet seats. There will always be more people that like palm trees than like 5 foot snow banks. And with Michigan being ground zero and the gold standard for how bad things are, home prices that the bottom has fallen out of and property that you can not give away, it makes for a very bad place for many people. As a person who lived through the last big recession of 77 to 92 in Michigan I can tell you things are way past how bad they were then. You have to go back to the GD when My grandparents said people from Detroit came up north and wrapped tar paper around four trees and stuck a smoke stack out of it and tried to live on state land before you can get past the devistation we are seeing now. With some counties with unemployment way past 20% it makes Kansas and Arkansas and Missouri with 8.9% simply look like the land of milk and honey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan