Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 08:42 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times

Advertisements

no

Old 09-25-2009, 10:30 PM

110 posts, read 247,602 times
Default Yup it is hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by talbet View Post
No but it is not most peoples cup of tea from november to May, it is cold, cloudy and way to much snow. Some people will say it is great but some people like cold toilet seats. There will always be more people that like palm trees than like 5 foot snow banks. And with Michigan being ground zero and the gold standard for how bad things are, home prices that the bottom has fallen out of and property that you can not give away, it makes for a very bad place for many people. As a person who lived through the last big recession of 77 to 92 in Michigan I can tell you things are way past how bad they were then. You have to go back to the GD when My grandparents said people from Detroit came up north and wrapped tar paper around four trees and stuck a smoke stack out of it and tried to live on state land before you can get past the devistation we are seeing now. With some counties with unemployment way past 20% it makes Kansas and Arkansas and Missouri with 8.9% simply look like the land of milk and honey.
It has got to be worse than the 80s.I mean it is way beyond normal.Whole streets with vacant buildings.Very horrifying place.Hell now even gas stations are boarding up.Yeah i am pretty sure now that it will get far worse from hereon.Thank you very much for your input.

Old 09-26-2009, 03:27 PM

38 posts, read 105,835 times
Finally someone who is sincere and intelligent enough to call it like it is. I concur with you totally and thanks so much for the post. It's nice to know that I'm not alone. Very refreshing.

Old 09-26-2009, 07:48 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Michigan is ugly in two spots - Detroit & Flint.

The rest of the state is amazingly beautiful - it's the reason that tons of tourists drive around the Great Lakes and do tons of tourist stuff.

Old 09-26-2009, 09:40 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Michigan is ugly in two spots - Detroit & Flint.

The rest of the state is amazingly beautiful - it's the reason that tons of tourists drive around the Great Lakes and do tons of tourist stuff.
Yep, they don't even go home after Labor day anymore. Town has been full every week-end just like high season so far. Oh well, every little bit helps the area.

Old 09-28-2009, 06:16 AM

745 posts, read 1,438,306 times
Tim Allen has set foot in Michigan. He lives(d) in Beverly Hills near Birmingham.

Old 09-28-2009, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemcnyc View Post
Tim Allen has set foot in Michigan. He lives(d) in Beverly Hills near Birmingham.
What has that got to do with the topic? Lots of people have set foot in and gone to school in Michigan. Probably more than you have done.

Old 09-28-2009, 12:34 PM

28 posts, read 43,560 times
I think the people can be ugly and dreary, with their backwards, uneducated, ignorant, racist attitudes.

Old 09-28-2009, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyBundy View Post
I think the people can be ugly and dreary, with their backwards, uneducated, ignorant, racist attitudes.
LOL. Very funny post. You don't get out and see the rest of the Country much do you.

Old 09-28-2009, 02:04 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyBundy View Post
Funny, generalizations are what you are complaining about and here you are generalizing.

I am not sure what you mean by backwards. It is one of those meaningless terms meant to be insulting, but really carrying no meaning at all. Normally that is a reference to people who are unsophisticated, not worldly and materialistic, not full of themselves or promoting themselves as superior to others. If that is what you mean - great. I guess I like backwards people over frontwards people.

I have never met anyone anywhere in the Untied states who is actually uneducated (except small children). How much edcuation does one need to be educated? Is a scientific education enough, or do they need to be knowlegable in all of the arts as well as politics, religion, sports and entertainment, history, and philospohy. If that is your standard, I guess prett ymuch everyone that I have ever met in the world is uneducated. We do not have any classically educated people anymore. Everyone seems to specialize at least to some extent. However of the people that I know in Michigan, none are what I woudl consider uneducated and most have at least some college if not a degree. The majority of the people that I know have advanced degrees (masters and beyond). In case you have not noticed, Michigan has one of the best university systems of any state and probably the best on a per capita basis.

As far as ignorant. . see backwards. Again a term with no real meaning, just an insult. You cna be ignorant of a fact, or of an area of information, but no one is completely ignorant of all facts. You cannot possibly mean the inability to process complex logic. If so, you need to read some statistics about the scholars coming out of Michigan, especially on a per capita basis. It is pretty remarkable. This is a state full of smart people.

Racist attitudes - yes there is some of that here, but it is everywhere. I do not see much blatant racism, except when I watch Detroit council meetings, but the towns are very segregated. As far as I can tell, that is due to a history of racism, not due to current racism. I have never heard anyone make a racially derogatory remark (outside of a Detroit City Council meeting) although I have heard about a few such events at high schools. I have never hear of anyone being told or even intimated into living in a different place than where they desire. Of course there are a few idiots whom the media gives national attention (like the bozos in Livonia in relation to the wallmart thing), but those kinds of Bozos are everywhere. The media does not always turn them into national figures. Most places they are simply ignored. thus, although there is more segregation than most places, there is not more blatant racism here than other places and considerably less than crowded places like New York, L.A., Miami. We have nothing on Texas when it ocmes to racism.

When Michigan seems to have an unusual number of is people filled with hate for their own home, but who refuse to leave. I do not understand the use of generalizations to comlpaint about people who generalize, but I have an even more difficult understanding why people who hate a place and its people so utterly are still here. Why not move to New York or L.A. and hate everyone there instead?

Do you not understand that by making such generalizations (i.e. all Mihcigna peple are ingorant) that you are engaging in the same erroreous thnking that is racism and bigotry?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan