Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 01:55 PM

418 posts, read 1,786,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Perhaps youre not understanding me???

If someone stereotypes MI, and has never been there before, that damn well makes them IGNORANT.

No need to get your panties in a bunch over there. Sheesh.

OY, VEY! I get it now.

Old 05-22-2008, 01:56 PM

32 posts, read 74,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khfar View Post
Are you kidding? Why? Have you visited EVERY state in the US? Unless someone has visited Michigan, they probably don't know all there is to know about it. Doesn't make them ignorant.
Ignorant means without knowledge. It's not some kind of put-down even though a lot of people use it that way.

I have never been to Canada therefore I have no knowledge of the scenery, people, lifestyle. I am ignorant of Canada.

Old 05-22-2008, 01:59 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,448,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khfar View Post
OY, VEY! I get it now.
Glad we see eye-to-eye now.

Those that have never been someplace, yet feel the need to stereotype/bash it, are very ignorant.

Old 05-22-2008, 02:14 PM

32 posts, read 74,886 times
Yeah and only stupid if they have been somewhere, and bash it saying things that aren't true.

Old 05-22-2008, 02:24 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,913,617 times
How can people who have been to say - Nebraska or Iowa, say that Michigan is flat dreary and boring?

This is a neat place. One of the neatest things is the variety of everything. If you do not like to topography drive a little bit and you will find something different. Don't like the people? Change neighborhoods and you will find something totally different. Don't like the weather? Just wait a little while.

The neatest thing about Michigan is variety. Some famous person said variety is the spice of life.

Old 05-22-2008, 02:56 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,448,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
How can people who have been to say - Nebraska or Iowa, say that Michigan is flat dreary and boring?

This is a neat place. One of the neatest things is the variety of everything. If you do not like to topography drive a little bit and you will find something different. Don't like the people? Change neighborhoods and you will find something totally different. Don't like the weather? Just wait a little while.

The neatest thing about Michigan is variety. Some famous person said variety is the spice of life.
Those exact guidelines apply also to Nebraska and Iowa.

Old 05-22-2008, 03:13 PM

250 posts, read 933,631 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenM View Post
that's an interesting perspective, not one that I've experienced though. Most of the people I know are open-mined, loving of their fellow man (whether gay, straight, white, black, etc.) well-educated,hard-working and NOT materialistic. But I also believe that there are miserable, grumpy people wherever you go, not just in Michigan. Also, life is what you make of it. If you tend to be a grumpy person, you will attract grumpy, negative people. On the other hand, if you are friendly and positive, you will attract friendly, positive people!

What's education have to do with the people? There's a lot of idiots out there that have degrees, I think we've all seen that at some point in our life.
I apologize, I had three kids screaming in my ear when I wrote that! I should have said "cultured, well-spoken, etc." instead of well-educated. Sorry if I offended anyone!

Old 05-22-2008, 03:26 PM

2,358 posts, read 5,986,527 times
I lived in Michigan for 2 years in the 1990s and I absolutely LOVED it there. I went to grad school in Ann Arbor and spent both summers there. Every weekend from late May until late August, I'd go to a different state park all over the state and camped. I loved every single park I went to and remember with fondness my time there. I didn't particularly like Detroit, but enjoyed doing my grad research along the Detroit River right in Detroit and on Belle Isle. I've been back several times and I'm trying to get my hubby (who's a professor) to try to get a job either in Ann Arbor or in E. Lansing. Loved both places. The only thing I didn't like was the first November I was there, the sun didn't come out from behind the clouds once and on April 1st of my last year there, it snowed 7 inches. Two minor things that didn't cloud the wonderful time I had there.

Old 05-22-2008, 04:36 PM

104 posts, read 418,013 times
Coming from Jay Leno, how much credit do you really place in his assumption? Look where he lives---L.A. severe traffic congestion, outrageous cost of living, smog, crime, and a state that may slide right into the Pacific one of these days....I'm sure that L.A. has its own natural beauty, and I do know that California as a state has tons of natural beauty....I think he made his assumption based on many mid-west states that are fairly flat (think Iowa here) and may not be a mecca for tourism....

Old 05-22-2008, 06:08 PM

195 posts, read 973,566 times
When the southwest runs out of water, Michigan won't seem so "unattractive" to the rest of the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan