Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2009, 10:57 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,437,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mompooh3 View Post
Absolutely gorgeous pics everyone has shared. I grew up in Lansing, but have been in TX for 16 years. I hated it for many years and never wanted to return. Love TX, but miss the 4 seasons (well, almost 4) and have grown to respect the beautiful state I was from and the trips to Mackinac Island, Sleeping Bear Dunes, etc. I will be going back for a visit in a little over a week, and looking forward to it, even with the cold temps!
I left in "69" for reasons out of my control. Moved to Tx(So of Houston) couldn't stand the humidity.(moved to SoCa)
Went back to Mi for a visit in "89". Not much of a chage in my hometown(Cadillac) The only difference I noticed was, the town had extended at the North end and down town on(Mitchell st) angle parking was changed to parralell -parking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 06:47 AM

1,217 posts, read 3,277,062 times
[quote=midcal;8148914]Rifle River

What part of the Rifle River is this? I spent a lot of time on that river as a teenager. Fishing, canoeing, tubing. A buddy of mine has some land in Algers right near Forest Lake and we would stay at the campgrounds and walk to the Rifle to fish. Great little know river.

Old 04-06-2009, 07:34 AM

31 posts, read 100,223 times
Dont remember what part it is JGatti. That pic was from 2 years ago. Very nice river though!

Old 04-06-2009, 08:10 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,904,258 times
We are going to the Rifle river campground for our first camping trip of the year end of May. Looks awesome!

Old 04-07-2009, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
We are going to the Rifle river campground for our first camping trip of the year end of May. Looks awesome!
Stay warm. LOL We did a camping trip end of May first week of June. Ended up borrowing a heater from some friends in Gaylord.
I'll have to look up the rifle river campground.

Old 04-08-2009, 05:03 PM

3 posts, read 7,702 times
Default Beaches

Michigansnowflake- Thanks for the beautiful pics. We just purchased a farmhouse in Antrim County near Torch Lake. I am having problems finding actual beaches. We don't have a boat yet and may not for some time. Where do you recommend going in the Torch Lake, Charlevoix or Petoskey areas to find a place to put down a towel and swim? I know the Lake Michigan beaches are beautiful but they are quite a hike from our house!

Old 04-09-2009, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by debjoy1 View Post
Michigansnowflake- Thanks for the beautiful pics. We just purchased a farmhouse in Antrim County near Torch Lake. I am having problems finding actual beaches. We don't have a boat yet and may not for some time. Where do you recommend going in the Torch Lake, Charlevoix or Petoskey areas to find a place to put down a towel and swim? I know the Lake Michigan beaches are beautiful but they are quite a hike from our house!
Depending on where you are exactly some of the beaches are hard to notice as you drive around the lake. Some of them look just like a driveway but it is in fact a beach. I used to live in Rapid City and we would go to the access sites along Crystal Beach rd. ( I had to google it to double check the rd names) LOL But they are there. I think Alden has a beach if I'm not mistaken. I pretty sure there is a little park down that way with a beach. When you get a boat there is a launch I believe at the south end of the lake. Right at the mouth of the Torch River. I remember there was a lot of boat traffic under the bridge and there was also a little gas station a boat could pull up too.

Old 04-11-2009, 05:02 PM

147 posts, read 522,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
Been there! Was a great place to camp...Enjoy!! I SO envy you...

Old 04-11-2009, 07:41 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,868,928 times
Went up to Sleeping Bear dunes this afternoon. Took the kids and one of their friends for a bit of running up and down the dunes. Got to tire them out somehow you know.

Eager to get started.

Reality sets in that the first part visible is about half the first dune height

Looking back toward Glen Lake

Closing in on Lake Michigan

After walking up and down frigging dunes for 1/2 an hour you are still greeted with this distance to go

Old 04-11-2009, 10:14 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,868,928 times
Here is the top of a tree that the dunes are slowly swallowing up.

This is the next one to go at this location.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan