Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2020, 08:31 PM

21,119 posts, read 19,707,707 times

Advertisements

A Republican governor would never have gotten away with:
-ordering nursing homes to take in Covid patients
-prohibiting, delicensing, and fining a barber for staying open
-abusing his/her authority by issuing shutdown orders
-not having masks and ventilators available for use
-promising to fix the damn roads by assuming people would support a 45 cent increase in gas tax

But a Democrat governor can because Michigan has badly educated citizens (to put it politely).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2020, 09:19 AM

95 posts, read 120,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
-promising to fix the damn roads by assuming people would support a 45 cent increase in gas tax

The roads are supposed to be funded by the gas tax i.e. the people who use them, but because it's politically unpopular to do so, Lansing has been pulling money for the roads from the general fund, i.e. taking money from those who don't use them (as much), for years.

Taxation without representation...

Old 11-05-2020, 01:44 PM

95 posts, read 120,370 times
Digging a bit further, Michigan is #9 in the nation for gas tax (~0.42$/gal). California is #1 with ~0.62$/gal. However, 25% of Michigan's gas tax goes to the education fund (https://reason.org/policy-brief/how-...ay-from-roads/)?

Regardless, road expenses dwarf revenue generated by the gas tax, in any state (https://taxfoundation.org/states-road-funding-2019/).

Old 11-05-2020, 03:59 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
Whitmer is generally unpopular amongst the people I encounter on a regular basis with a few exceptions. Many of these are industry/business leaders. I think the election results which were polled to be a heavy wind for Biden/Democrats reflect both how useless polls are and a growing dissatisfaction with Whitmer/Democrats in Michigan. Whitmer campaigned heavily to try to change the majority in the Michigan legislature but failed to get any change whatsoever (Republicans retain control). Whitmer campaigned to get a majority of Us representatives from Michigan, but the two parties split the state evenly. The republicans did not lose any net seats (Dems picked up one form libertarians).

Given that We have an entirely Democrat executive branch and Democrats generally do better in presidential election years in Michigan (because Detroit voters turn out more) it seems there is a considerable backlash.

If the republicans put John James up against Whitmer, I think he will win. At least as long as nothing dramatic changes.

Old 11-06-2020, 07:00 AM

1,317 posts, read 1,941,577 times
I'm really starting to sour on her.

Stuff like this:

https://www.wxyz.com/news/coronaviru...t-home-options

Do we really need the governor now ordering companies to have people WFH?
The company and the individuals can figure it out and its a slap in the face to all of those that you know actually do something with their hands/trades/services that go to work every day.

Not to mention, workplaces, outside of back-of-the-house service industry locations have not been shown to be a vector of virus spread.

She is increasingly becoming nails on a chalkboard to me. She treats us like we are 3rd graders and we are all 9.

Old 11-06-2020, 12:53 PM

864 posts, read 1,720,638 times
Admonish:
"I don't think it means what you think it means" - Inigo Montoya - Princess Bride.

And your "live off the land by the gun folks" comment just drips of the hatred you seem to have for rural Republican voters. So as I alluded to in my previous post -- if you only associate with with Democrats, you're going to get a very skewed perception of what the public thinks of Governor Whitmer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallstarr View Post
We love Governor Whitmer! Only some “live off the land by the gun folks, have the perception that she is taking away their rights.” It’s really sad the deceived perception. God admonishes us to pray for our leadership weather you like them or not.

Old 11-07-2020, 07:12 AM

43 posts, read 42,588 times
I never voted for her and I think with or without covid she is terrible.

Old 11-11-2020, 07:33 AM

2,227 posts, read 1,403,483 times
If Justin Amash or Peter meijer run against Whitmer, I’d probably vote for them. I am on the fence about John James, and it probably would be situation dependent.
The southeast Asian community in general supports moderates and I’m registered as an independent. Whitmer leans a bit too left for me, but Schuette was way too far right. That’s why I ended up voting for Whitmer.

Old 11-11-2020, 08:06 AM

2,065 posts, read 1,863,765 times
James has no involvement in his community. I live in his community. This doesn't sound like a candidate who cares about future constituents. At the very least, he should show interest.

Old 11-12-2020, 04:52 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,617,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
A Republican governor would never have gotten away with:
-ordering nursing homes to take in Covid patients
-prohibiting, delicensing, and fining a barber for staying open
-abusing his/her authority by issuing shutdown orders
-not having masks and ventilators available for use

But a Democrat governor can because Michigan has badly educated citizens (to put it politely).

Michigan's citizens re-elected Granhole. Enough said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan