Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 08:15 PM

695 posts, read 3,409,536 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

I've gone to Mackinac at least once a year for about 11 years. I am almost in college and it has been my intention for years to go up there in the summers and work for fun. I have a lot of connections with the Star Line Ferry company, and could easily get a job, and that has been one of my dreams for a long time. I love Mackinaw City as well and think it is one of the most interesting places, in its history, location, and even the commercialization it has undergone.

The problem is as I approach this decision is the reputation workers at Mackinac get. And I guess this is a northern Michigan thing in general. I am not much a "partier" or anything like that. I know Mackinac workers generally drink a lot and party at night, since there's not much to do. While I'm sure it's avoidable, I don't want to get wrapped up in more than I can handle.

Also I enjoy some privacy, and I'd rather not live in housing or anything of that sort. I would hope I could afford apartment type housing myself somewhere nearby so I could at least have my own living space and bathroom. I'm not sure how possible this is, and I'd much rather live on the mainland which is standard I believe anyway. And it would have to be an apartment that I don't have to stay in for a year so I can leave when the season is up. I'm not sure how available something like this is.

So does anyone know anyone who worked summers at Mackinac or has any insight to lend me?

Last edited by cardwellave; 04-12-2008 at 08:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2008, 11:46 AM

550 posts, read 2,051,930 times
growing up in cheboygan until i left for college i can give you some insight as even with all the fudgies i LOVE mackinac!...i worked at a hotel up there-and if you go that route i can tell you which ones to avoid working at as many of them are owned by the same awful family! I worked at wilderness state park which is not right in mackinaw city but close and was fun! I have many friends who worked in the crossings and on the island and on the boats!...my brother worked for starline for three summers-maybe even four i don't remember. He LOVED it, I know most the people at starline-at least the ones that have been there forever...my bro worked the boats and loved it because on the rides he just sat there and read books when his duties were done-only thing is he worked ridiculously long hours. of course that means hemade pretty good money! housing in mackinaw is very cheap-of course that family i mentioned above has their jamaican workers living in very poor conditions...but there are a few motels that are converted into apartments for summer workers.
you'll still find many things to do if you are not a huge partier.....

Old 04-13-2008, 03:16 PM

Hey thanks, I sent you a private message.

Old 04-14-2008, 06:42 AM

81 posts, read 303,132 times
Hi Cardwellave,

It's been many moons (1994) since I worked at Mackinac Island for a summer for my college internship but maybe my experience will help also. I was there to get at least 400 hours of hotel industry experience for my degree.... I mananged to cram 540 hours into about 9 or 10 weeks and decided to "break" my contract to leave before the summer was over (there was not any real incentive to stay and I was ready to go... more tired than anything). I was 22 when I was there and found being of "alcohol buying age" was a real problem. My underage bunkmates could not get it through their thick skulls that I could not risk buying alcohol for them as I would lose my internship credits and, therefore, be delayed graduating. This issue made me a bit of an outsider.

I lived above one of the Main Street fudge shops and got sooooo sick of the smell of fudge and horse poo by the end of my stay! To this day, I still can't eat fudge without being transported back to that summer. The living conditions were dismal, the expense of food was ridiculous and I had to put up with a "house mother" who was lazy and incredibly rude. I think my entire experience there would have been much better if I could have rented a small apartment somewhere on the island with some more mature residents.

I still love the island but I would recommend finding like-minded individuals to live with and a good employer. You could have a very positive experience if you do your research first!

Good luck!

Old 04-16-2008, 02:50 AM

11 posts, read 39,522 times
I'm going to be working for the Mackinac State Historic Parks this summer. From what I've read on the website and the paperwork I was sent they seem pretty organized. The housing rules are strict which is usually a good thing. I'll be living and working in Mackinaw City - seems like there's more community activities there and you're not trapped on an island with partiers and fudgies!

Their season opens May 5 and they may still be hiring. They had lots of historical reinactment-type jobs so I'm sure the staff will be outgoing and interesting.

I've never been to Michigan so I'm excited to explore the whole area and some of Canada and the East Coast.

Good luck!

Old 04-16-2008, 04:24 AM

550 posts, read 2,051,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sutton86 View Post
I'm going to be working for the Mackinac State Historic Parks this summer. From what I've read on the website and the paperwork I was sent they seem pretty organized. The housing rules are strict which is usually a good thing. I'll be living and working in Mackinaw City - seems like there's more community activities there and you're not trapped on an island with partiers and fudgies!

Their season opens May 5 and they may still be hiring. They had lots of historical reinactment-type jobs so I'm sure the staff will be outgoing and interesting.

I've never been to Michigan so I'm excited to explore the whole area and some of Canada and the East Coast.

Good luck!
aww...you will LOVE that job!...the curator of the historic parks is a good friend of my families!....there are a lot of people who have worked there for many years and they are awesome! my friend worked for michilimackinac for afew summer as well as fort mackinac...she loved it...of course she lived at home-but it was still cool!

Old 04-16-2008, 09:52 AM

419 posts, read 1,396,227 times
It's been well over a decade, but my sister-in-law and her husband both worked on the island for 5 summers; she was w/ on Fort staff and he was w/ the Boy Scouts. After college and grad school, she was one of the first staff on and was on the last ferry out in November. According to what I've heard from her through the years yes, the professional staff for the state, etc. operate on a much different level than some of the crews in the retail operations.

Old 04-16-2008, 12:51 PM

I'd think the boat lines also operate a little differently. At least Shepler's and Star Line. Arnold is based on the Island, Shepler's in Mackinaw City, and Star Line in St. Ignace. The latter two, the people spend much more time on the mainland, I'd assume more away from partying and the like.

Old 05-18-2008, 08:16 AM

1 posts, read 4,344 times
MOFROMCHEBOYGANKALAMAZOO

my daughter just arrived at Mackinac Island to work this summer and is appalled at the dorms she is to live in. she's working for The Island House. Is this the awful family business people you are refering to?

Last edited by ateams1; 05-18-2008 at 08:25 AM..

Old 05-18-2008, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ateams1 View Post
MOFROMCHEBOYGANKALAMAZOO

my daughter just arrived at Mackinac Island to work this summer and is appalled at the dorms she is to live in. she's working for The Island House. Is this the awful family business people you are refering to?
I know it's not the family mofromcheboygankzoo was referring to. They are in Mackinaw City.

Basically dorm living in Mackinac IS appalling. I've only seen a few of them, but they are pretty much bare bones. That's why finding an apartment is probably a better option.

The Island House is an OK hotel. Not my favorite, but some of my family swears by it. My dad was married there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan