Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2010, 12:26 PM

179 posts, read 548,355 times

Advertisements

At the end of July, my husband and I will be going up north to Alpena to celebrate my great aunt/uncle's anniversary. Well actually, they live in Hillman, but I figured since we are so close, we might as well go to Mackinac Island, as my husband has never been. I've been when I was younger, but really want him to experience it.

What are the must see/must do things in Mackinac Island? Or other nearby areas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2010, 04:36 PM

336 posts, read 909,133 times
If your interested in history there is a lot to do. There is a fort on both the island and the mainland. I haven't been to the island in quite awhile, but Fort Michilimack has been undergoing a archiological dig that has turned up quite a lot of artifacts. It's pretty interesting.

There is also Mill Creek. I haven't been in a long time, but I think it's supposed to be a historical site too.

The island itself you'll want to visit The Grand hotel. Maybe rent a bike, horse, or carriage and take a tour around the island.

Then there is the kinda cheesy touristy stuff: the "haunted" theatre, Castle Rock (in St. Ig...how to spell it is escaping me at the moment), the Mystery Spot.

Then there is Taquamanon Falls, Whitefish Point, Sioux St. Marie all within a couple hours drive of Mackinaw.

Old 06-19-2010, 06:22 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,355,636 times
Mill Creek is a fascinating historial site, as is the Fort. Their understanding of life at both continues to unfold as new archeological digs unearth new discoveries. there is an amazing pasty shop a couple blocks southwest of the fort, but I can never remember the name...... a woman's name, I think........ in a log building, cedar from the size of the logs........ somebody help me out here.

If you are going to Sault Ste. Marie, which is an hours drive north of the bridge, be sure to check out the Valley Camp. It is a retired Great Lakers freighter that has been converted into a maritime museum. There have a display of artifacts from the Edmund Fitzgerald, and in fact, the last I was the there, the director of the musem was the retired captain from the USCG who led the search rescue for the Fitz.

While you are in the Soo, you will also want to visit the park along the Locks. You can watch the frieghters as they go through. There is visitor center there withsome interesting stuff. And who knows, you might even see Northern Lights if you hang around after dark. You can also view the locks from the inside out, if you take a ride on a tour boat.

Old 06-19-2010, 07:16 AM

2,050 posts, read 5,949,208 times
If you're up for the challenge, you can rent bikes and ride the island. Otherwise grab the horse and buggy ride, the guides offer the inside scoops and tales of the island. The Fort is very interesting and the views are incredible. If you have the time and resources, definitely have a snack, lunch or dessert at the Grand Hotel, just to say you've been there. They used to charge to walk on the porch, but we were able to get up there because we had taken the horse/buggy tour. I'm sure there are good resources, as well as this board, for ideas.

Old 06-19-2010, 04:13 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,951,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl14256 View Post
At the end of July, my husband and I will be going up north to Alpena to celebrate my great aunt/uncle's anniversary. Well actually, they live in Hillman, but I figured since we are so close, we might as well go to Mackinac Island, as my husband has never been. I've been when I was younger, but really want him to experience it.

What are the must see/must do things in Mackinac Island? Or other nearby areas?
Mackinac Island is one of Pure Michigan's must see places. Even if its not your total cup of tea, you must go and do it once. For the History if nothing else.

Old 06-19-2010, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Mackinac Island is one of Pure Michigan's must see places. Even if its not your total cup of tea, you must go and do it once. For the History if nothing else.
Also, the Grand Hotel , if you do nothing else on the island. So much history, so much a part of the Midwest culture, when people from all over came to rest and relax. Many of these retreats are gone, some in disrepair. The Grand Hotel is a jewel that remains as it once was mostly.
That said, there are lots to do and see on the mainland as well. The eastern U.P. is quite different than the Western Upper Michigan. Do the east one year, then come back the next year and do the west section....So many folks have lived in MIchigan , all their lives, and have never been to Upper Michigan.

Old 06-19-2010, 06:36 PM

550 posts, read 2,053,717 times
On the Island

* Rent bikes-use a map from the information kiosk (center of main street near public restrooms) and ride either around or through the middle of the island(my favorite- ride west from downtown go below the grand hotel water level and past devils kitchen (neat little cave) and when you get to British Landing cut into the middle of the Island here-you will ride up and down some hills...you can see the two historical cemetaries-one military and one not (I love going for a walk through these cemetaries). You can see Skull cave up here and other rock formations. Ride over to Arch rock then back behind the fort.....and back downtown...
* there is always stuff (or just a place to relax) to do in Marquette park below the fort...
* Fort Mackinac on the island
* Live music in the evenings
* festivals (depending on when you are there)
* hike-use the maps from the same kiosk for some great hikes toward the East Bluff
* Check out the beautiful Victorian cottages on both the East and West Bluffs..
* cut through the woods below the Grand Hotel to walk out onto the lawn and up in front of the porch to go over to the West BLuff- people have weddings here and it the cottages and the view are so worth it!
* rent a buggy or a horse
* a new museum just opened as well on the island

off the island nearby
*Fort Michilimackinac- re-enactors just like the for on the island but this for has more of an everday life of the times part to it with daily life showings rather than just military
* Mill Creek Discovery park- old saw mill with demonstrations but also a ropes course and canopy tour now with a zip line
* If your relatives live anywhere near a lake-see where you can rent a boat and go enjoy one of our greatest resources...Mullett Lake in Cheboygan has rentals
* Tahquamenon falls in the UP is a must (about an hour from Mackinaw city)
* Ocqueoc Falls between Rogers City and Cheboygan is great for a cool dip and is fun if you have kids or you yourself want to try something new...
* The Historic Opera House in Cheboygan has various shows and is a very interesting building (inside)
* Maritime history museum in Rogers City
* Lighthouses throughout the area with tours (including old Mackinac Point lightouse in Mackinaw City)
* nature galore everywhere depending on what you want to do or see!

tell us about your trip or if there is anything specific you are looking for!

Old 06-20-2010, 06:01 PM

263 posts, read 745,639 times
I'd love to bicycle around the island. and you must see TQ falls...in each season if possible.

Old 06-20-2010, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebreadlady View Post
I'd love to bicycle around the island. and you must see TQ falls...in each season if possible.
One year we rented bikes and took the trip around the Island, starting at the Grand Hotel . All day it rained... we did not care one bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan