Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2008, 08:47 PM

10 posts, read 30,123 times

Advertisements

I am considering a job where I would have to work in Livonia and Milford, each two days a week. Wife would probably work in Ann Arbor.

1. What is a realistic rush hour commute time from NE Ann Arbor to Livonia and to Milford? How about during the winter?

2. How about from Plymouth to Livonia and to Milford?

3. What other areas would you recommend to put us in a manageable (less than 25-30 minutes) commute to those three cities? Our main priority is quality of the school system. Other considerations include proximity to parks, nice downtown, resale home values.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2008, 09:00 PM

1,212 posts, read 4,910,360 times
I am thinking Canton.

20 minutes west is Ann Arbor. 15 - 20 minutes east/NE is Livonia. And probably 30 minutes North is Milford.

Decent rush hour traffic (no new construction or accidents) add 10 minutes to commute to Ann Arbor... maybe an extra 7 minutes to Livonia (maybe less... 96 moves pretty fast) and not sure about the rush commute to Milford... that section of 96 always seemed to be locked... a lot of commuters come from that area and take 96/275.

Canton is said to be a bedroom community, mostly subdivisions and shopping malls. Not sure about schools system... depends on the neighborhood since Canton is divided among 3 different school district... Livonia schools being the best.

Try traffic alert... google "traffic alert" and set up a commute route for the areas you are interested in for the time of day you chose. Each day you will get an email of the actual travel time of your chosen commute.... will alert for construction and accidents. Compare these for a month and you will get a good estimate of actual commute times at different times of the day.

Last edited by kcam213; 04-03-2008 at 09:00 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 04-06-2008, 05:38 PM

10 posts, read 30,123 times
Thanks for your advice.

How long do you think the commute is from the NE side of Ann Arbor (N Dixboro Road and Plymouth Ann Arbor Road) to the West side of Livonia (Haggerty road near 6 mile)? Google maps estimates about 20 minutes? How much worse is it during rush hour - going eastbound on M-14 from Ann Arbor towards Plymouth in the morning?

And, is US-23 busy heading North towards Milford in the morning rush hour?

Old 04-06-2008, 07:56 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,772,406 times
Live in Milford or Ann Arbor.

South Lyon is pretty much in between. Kind of a small town once but now infested with strip malls and McMansions. Green Lake township would be an execellent choice for you. It is between Milford and Ann Arbor on the 23 Freeway.

Northville is anther great choice. Decent town, great schools.

Canton is fine if you only want endless matching cookie cutter subdivisions. It is a place withno character, but it is clean and nice. The Plymouth Canton schools are great, Canton less so but still good. Traffic is terrible in parts of Canton.

Good luck

Old 04-07-2008, 03:54 AM

1,212 posts, read 4,910,360 times
I am thinking based on the traffic I see on 96 east in the morning that M-14 will be slow going east until you get to 275 interchange. That may be your route as well (to 275 interchange... I would think you would then go north on 275 to 6 mile exit)

It seems your commute is the same of a lot of other people.

I haven't been north of Ann Arbor on 23 for a long while now. I would say any commute coming from Ann Arbor during main rush hour 7 - 9 am is going to be heavy traffic. Lots of people commute from Ann Arbor area and the highways around Ann Arbor or mostly 2 lanes and do not expand to 3 lanes until closer to Detroit. Need more lanes.

Good luck and don't forget traffic alert... to me this will give you OBJECTIVE information rather people's opinions or falting memories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asclepius View Post
Thanks for your advice.

How long do you think the commute is from the NE side of Ann Arbor (N Dixboro Road and Plymouth Ann Arbor Road) to the West side of Livonia (Haggerty road near 6 mile)? Google maps estimates about 20 minutes? How much worse is it during rush hour - going eastbound on M-14 from Ann Arbor towards Plymouth in the morning?

And, is US-23 busy heading North towards Milford in the morning rush hour?

Old 04-08-2008, 09:11 AM

13 posts, read 11,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asclepius View Post
I am considering a job where I would have to work in Livonia and Milford, each two days a week. Wife would probably work in Ann Arbor.

1. What is a realistic rush hour commute time from NE Ann Arbor to Livonia and to Milford? How about during the winter?

2. How about from Plymouth to Livonia and to Milford?

3. What other areas would you recommend to put us in a manageable (less than 25-30 minutes) commute to those three cities? Our main priority is quality of the school system. Other considerations include proximity to parks, nice downtown, resale home values.

Thanks

I think a closer area for work would be anywhere outside the borders of the state of Michigan

Old 04-12-2008, 10:28 AM

734 posts, read 2,616,838 times
40 minute drive in the morning probably. Maybe less.

Old 04-12-2008, 11:58 AM

910 posts, read 2,983,753 times
you know, brighton would be a good place to look at, its right on 23 and you can go north to Milford, and south to Ann Arbor. to get to Livonia you could take 96 and take 275 south.

But when you get on south I-275 it can be congested. on a one to ten scale maybe a 6 or 7.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan