Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 05:50 PM

745 posts, read 1,719,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
Where in VA? (if you don't mind me asking)

It is a beautiful state and it's warm in March
It also can be "cold" in March. Virginia isn't semi-tropical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2008, 08:37 AM

8 posts, read 74,357 times
The Hampton Road area is very nice.. I too grew up in Michigan, I left in 81 and never look back after living all over the country I settled in Maryland I work in Northern VA. My job often sends me back to Michigan.

Old 03-22-2008, 09:32 AM

104 posts, read 375,072 times
Congrats to you! But I have to say (and I hope I don't come off as a Debbie Downer) that I HATED VA when I lived there for two extremely looong years.

I'm MI born and raised and when I married my DH he was active duty. We we were sent to Langley and lived off base. I would totally stay away from Hampton, Newport News, and the surrounding areas. Reminded me of Detroit and not in a good way. We got out of there as soon as we could and are so happy to be back in Michigan. But
I know I am fortunate that my husband has a stable, well paying job that allows us to live comfortabley here in Michigan (he works in IT).

Just wated to offer another side of the coin. I truly hope your experiece will be much like the other posters and nothing like mine!

Old 03-24-2008, 09:59 AM

15 posts, read 67,748 times
Default Good bye!

Don't forget to write!

Old 03-25-2008, 02:57 PM

66 posts, read 197,613 times
Well, I am looking forward to our move. My husband is searching for a place for us to rent. He has been told to look in the Chesapeake area because we have three young children. I just can not wait to leave.
Although, I miss certain things about Michigan but what can I say I was raised here. I will always be a die hard Red Wings fan no matter where I live.

Old 04-03-2008, 06:30 PM

430 posts, read 1,174,721 times
My husband was offered a job not long ago in that area and we said no. He recieved other offers so we are still moving. What I was worried about going to the south is that being from Michigan we would have a hards time. It is somewhat a different lifestyle, the bugs and the weather it just scared me. I don't like bugs and that concerned me. I know that sounds dilly but like I said it can be different than here. Those from the south are used to those things like we are used to driving on sheets of ice.

Old 04-03-2008, 06:37 PM

Bugs don't bother me much. I lived in Alabama for a few months and I was broke in very quickly. Southern people are a lot nicer than us northern folk.

Old 04-03-2008, 07:13 PM

316 posts, read 1,181,752 times
Agreed, southern people are a lot nicer then Michigan folks. You don't have everyone all up in your business as much either.

Old 04-03-2008, 07:14 PM

very true, very true.

Old 04-03-2008, 08:15 PM

3,816 posts, read 6,446,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlarocque View Post
Southern people are a lot nicer than us northern folk.
Uhhh, I lived in the south for almost 30 years, and I have to say I couldn't disagree more with this statement. Sorry you have such a low opinion of yourself, but don't presume to lob my world in with yours just because we're both from the north. I've never known nicer people than those I met after I moved back here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
View detailed profiles of: