Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2010, 06:21 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,605,145 times

Advertisements

I want to show off Lake Michigan to a friend from the east coast this weekend. Sadly, I have never been to a Lake Michigan beach that is south of Holland!

We'll be starting from Kalamazoo and I want to do the least amount of driving possible, so I've narrowed it down to St. Joseph, South Haven, or somewhere in between. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2010, 08:58 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
If you want rustic and don't mind a hike from the parking lot, I really like Saugatuck Dunes a little south of Holland. And fun to walk around downtown Saugatuck/Douglas before or after the beach.

Old 05-21-2010, 05:29 PM

358 posts, read 1,063,246 times
Thats easy, South Haven is your best choice. Follow M-43 to the end, then take a left on Phoenix Street into the downtown. You can park downtown and walk along the river to the beach. There is construction so there is a detour if you drive to the beach, just go a couple of blocks south to Erie Street and then head west.

Old 05-23-2010, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Thats easy, South Haven is your best choice. Follow M-43 to the end, then take a left on Phoenix Street into the downtown. You can park downtown and walk along the river to the beach. There is construction so there is a detour if you drive to the beach, just go a couple of blocks south to Erie Street and then head west.
Thanks for the great tip!! Went to South Haven last night and really liked it. Easy parking, beautiful little downtown, and couldn't ask for a nicer beach. And the weather was great to boot. All in all a great trip. Thanks again!!

Old 05-23-2010, 08:13 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
Thanks for the great tip!! Went to South Haven last night and really liked it. Easy parking, beautiful little downtown, and couldn't ask for a nicer beach. And the weather was great to boot. All in all a great trip. Thanks again!!
Well... what was your friends reaction?

Old 05-24-2010, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Well... what was your friends reaction?
Oh, she liked it. I had to overcome a little bit of ocean snobbery, of course. She commented that it didn't have the "ocean smell", but was amazed at the size of it and that she couldn't see across. She also liked all of the nice beach houses along the shore and the channel. It was her first visit to one of the Great Lakes.

I will say that the "anti-midwest" attitude of some people from the northeast is not imaginary! Seemed like she had to overcome that first before she could let herself like it. It was a little bit of an uphill battle, but I think I made some major progress.

Old 05-24-2010, 06:03 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times
Yeah the "ocean smell" is something that my wife still misses (She grew up in Mass, going to the shore all through the summers). Overall though she much prefers the Great Lakes. She can rattle off a LONG list of why the Lakes are better to swim in and to lay-out by.

I think the funnest thing about the ocean snobs are how they ALL comment "You can't see across it!" Like that is a major revelation. The moniker "Lake" draws up the image of a small inland lake that you would pop a 14' boat in to fish for bluegill and not something that 1000'+ ships ply for commerce. When my wife saw Lake Michigan she had the same comment and when I asked her if she could see from one side of Mass to the other, she (of course) replied "No." Then was amazed when I reminded her that Lake Michigan was twice the size of Mass and was still #3 when it comes to size of the Great Lakes.

Old 05-27-2010, 09:23 AM

7,444 posts, read 7,016,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
We've vacationed in South Haven several times now and really enjoy it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan