Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 06:18 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,786,099 times

Advertisements

I had only seen the bluewater bridge and a bit to the north of there before and thought Port Huron was just another bland Livonia type place, only with water and traffic for the bridge. Yesterday returning from a meeting I missed the turn off from the freeway because I was not paying attention and just kept driving south. After a time I entered a cute and quaint old fashioned downtown. It was really a neat place lots of interesting stores, some people around, really nice. Then I turned on my GPS and was directed down a side street. It was lined with tons of super neat and well cared for Victorian and craftsman homes. Finally I stopped at a fast food place for some iced tea and asked where I was, they told me Port Huron. I thought I had passed through Port Huron miles ago. I am glad I missed the turn off. What a cute town. I am looking forward to going back and poking around. The bridge must be quite a bit on the outskirts of the real town.

I have mostly heard terrible things about Port Huron both in discussions and on CD. Why? It was neither run down, now did it appear crim ridden. No bars on windows, no graphitti, few empty buildings, well cared for, Looks like a neat place to be. Is there some secret dark side?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2013, 07:27 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,602,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I had only seen the bluewater bridge and a bit to the north of there before and thought Port Huron was just another bland Livonia type place, only with water and traffic for the bridge. Yesterday returning from a meeting I missed the turn off from the freeway because I was not paying attention and just kept driving south. After a time I entered a cute and quaint old fashioned downtown. It was really a neat place lots of interesting stores, some people around, really nice. Then I turned on my GPS and was directed down a side street. It was lined with tons of super neat and well cared for Victorian and craftsman homes. Finally I stopped at a fast food place for some iced tea and asked where I was, they told me Port Huron. I thought I had passed through Port Huron miles ago. I am glad I missed the turn off. What a cute town. I am looking forward to going back and poking around. The bridge must be quite a bit on the outskirts of the real town.

I have mostly heard terrible things about Port Huron both in discussions and on CD. Why? It was neither run down, now did it appear crim ridden. No bars on windows, no graphitti, few empty buildings, well cared for, Looks like a neat place to be. Is there some secret dark side?
I am with you. Took a slight detour once on my way to Canada and was very pleasantly surprised by the downtown and the waterfront. I had never heard much about Port Huron, but it seemed like a nice place.

Old 05-23-2013, 07:33 AM

1,648 posts, read 3,272,236 times
Next time you're there - check out the Raven Coffee Shop - The Raven Café: "a cultural, musical and culinary Mecca in the heart of Port Huron (Michigan)" | Home - It's about 2-3 blocks south of the main downtown district you're referencing. One of the coolest coffee shops I've ever been.

PH is the center of activity for all the neighboring towns in the Thumb. Many people drive 20+ miles to get to Birchwood Mall, located just north of town on Pine Grove Ave. That strip is the "Hall Rd" of St. Clair County so it's where everyone goes for chain restaurants, big box retailers.

I haven't heard terrible things about PH (although it is slighly more economically depressed than Metro Detroit's nicest suburbs). The availability of good paying/non medical related jobs in the region is scarce.

The Floatdown in August each year is definitely worth going to (everyone gets in floats and flows on down the St. Clair River). Home

Next time you go - take the Blue Water Tour Trolley - It costs less than $1/person and its an hour narrated tour of the city. Blue Water Area Transit

Old 05-23-2013, 07:53 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,181,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post

I've noticed that city-data theme as well. I've never understood it either.

But yeah, the city not only has a nice downtown, but also a beach or two, a lighthouse, and a pretty large riverboat festival where all kinds of boats goes up and down the river. Under the bridge to Canada, has a nice park to just park and sit and overlook the ships going through as well.

You also get a nice added bonus in Port Huron, of getting plenty of Sarnia Canada radio stations and tv stations as well. So, a little extra texture and viewpoint on things, for those who might be into that.

Generally though, Port Huron is just a working class town. There is a little community college there, but outside of that, people have to travel all the way to Detroit or Flint or Saginaw to attend a 4-year-college. With all places, Port Huron could be better. But it's not bad. By Michigan city standards, I personally think its better off presently and into the future, than most MI cities.

Old 05-23-2013, 09:17 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,786,099 times
There is a nice looking state park with a campground just north of there. Next free weekend I think I wil grab any available kids and go up for a weekend of camping and exploring the area. Seems very pretty and much overlooked.

Old 05-23-2013, 09:19 AM

1,648 posts, read 3,272,236 times
If you do a weekend - make the drive 10 miles north one of the days to Lexington, MI. It's the closest thing to a "resort town" along the east side of Michigan - ice cream shops, beaches etc. Lexington Business Association

Old 05-23-2013, 10:04 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,612,877 times
Go to PH for the start of the Port Huron-to-Mackinac sailboat race festivities. Always a good time.

Old 05-23-2013, 10:41 AM

1,317 posts, read 1,940,463 times
The problem with Port Huron is that it could be so much more than it currently is today. Very true its not the blighted, barron, scary place like some other places. Its not like the blighted neighborhoods of Detroit, Pontiac, or Flint. I've never once not felt safe, and I've found a few cool businesses around town too.

The city is economically depressed, like many across the state, the downtown has been decimated by the move of retail and commerical business to the M-25 corridor north of town, and there is a lack of good paying jobs in the region.

It has all the "bones" and potential to be such a cool place. I mean it has a older downtown, the riverfront, the bridge, the Lake Huron shoreline, parks, marinas, etc. In a dream world, it could be like a Lake Michigan resort town, and its less than an hour from much of Metro Detroit. It just isn't there yet, and not sure if it will ever get there. It is in a position to be a great day-trip destination of SE Michigan but it just gets overlooked.

Old 05-23-2013, 03:01 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,847,360 times
I've always like Port Huron. It has been a long time since I had been there, but couldn't imagine it would have taken such a dive as a few posts elsewhere on C-D made it sound. Glad to hear it is still a nice place.

Old 05-25-2013, 08:17 PM

1,900 posts, read 5,904,309 times
The south end isn't very nice. Also, the city has an income tax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan