Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 03:23 PM

580 posts, read 1,680,765 times

Advertisements

I heard the towns on the outskirts of Holland, Michigan has a lack of diversity... which may lead to my friends thought of it being racist
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2007, 06:00 PM

845 posts, read 3,270,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100%Michigan View Post
I heard the towns on the outskirts of Holland, Michigan has a lack of diversity... which may lead to my friends thought of it being racist

I'm not 100% sure what you're saying...but I think you're saying that the towns surrounding Holland lack diversity.

I guess it just depends where you look. Every city in America (literally) has suburbs that are primarily white, primarily latino, primarily african-american.
When taken individually sure they look pretty homogeneous. But, if you take the community as a whole, you'll see that's not the case.

I should also add that lack of diveristy doesn't immediately imply racism.

Old 11-05-2007, 01:14 PM

65 posts, read 233,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deslok
Be prepared for a very conservative atmosphere in Holland. The area is primarily dutch, and skeptical of most folks not blonde hair blue eyes, or clearly Caucasian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suydam View Post
That ceased to be true decades ago.
This is not necessarily un-true.

I agree that Holland is much more diverse than it was 20 years ago, but it is still very conservative, and very Christian. Hence the slogan "a church on every corner", that some people use.

I have lived in The Holland area my whole life and the "Christian conservative" label has crossed the dutch lines and there are all races that live in Holland with those principles.

I talked to a few people in the last couple of years that have moved here and all three mentioned how they do feel like an "outsider". They can not pin point an exact thing, or even put their finger on why, but they do feel like it is hard to be accepted. They all agree no one is blatantly mean to them, and they acknowledge that every one is very friendly. Now all three of them are divorced women with children, so that may have a little something to do with it since Holland is very conservative.

Old 11-07-2007, 07:14 AM

316 posts, read 1,181,489 times
I am reminded of the dutch stare. Steely blue eyes just looking at you like "why are you in my city". Not that they are openly mean or make racist comments. It's more waspy. Wasps fight more without words.
It is still there, because it is there everytime I visit.

Old 11-07-2007, 09:28 PM
Ten

163 posts, read 334,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deslok View Post
I am reminded of the dutch stare. Steely blue eyes just looking at you like "why are you in my city". Not that they are openly mean or make racist comments. It's more waspy. Wasps fight more without words.
It is still there, because it is there everytime I visit.
Really. Ever heard the term, making your own reality?

As a white, 100% Dutch, blue-eyed, conservative, former Hollander with a 100% Dutch, blue-eyed, blonde, little daughter, I find your remark almost as offensive as it is ignorant. I know of precisely one individual that even resembles your humorous stereotype.

Given Holland's enormous tourism and substantial Hispanic population, that's quite an imagination you have there. Given the turnover at major employers like herman miller, Haworth, Prince, and the like, maybe "imagination" isn't even the right word...

Old 11-08-2007, 12:11 AM

1 posts, read 5,630 times
Default Holland

I have lived near Holland for several years, and worked there for about 15 years.
Holland use to be a very safe enviroment, but not as much now.
As far as the Dutch comments, I would have to agree with one of the statements that it was a lot more conservitive a few years ago.
As Holland has grown, the population has become more multi-cultural. And over all I think The Older Dutch people are not around so much.
Just as any town has its main culture, people use to be much more judgemental towards "outsiders". I don't see that as an issue anymore.
Of course your going to have one or 2 people that are, but I dont think that being Dutch would have anything to do with it.
I work with the elderly population, and back in the early 90's the older people would always ask what church do you go to, are you married..ect. And if you didn't have a church to say..mmm not good. But now, it I dont think I have been asked that once in the last few years.
The bad thing about Holland for me, is the traffic. It gets backed up on 31 around 4 or 5. (not as bad as the east side of the state by Novi.. by any means) The area has just grown so much in the past 10-15 years.
Also the job market is typical of michigan.. not to easy to find. Good luck in your research.

Old 11-14-2007, 09:04 AM

316 posts, read 1,181,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ten View Post
Really. Ever heard the term, making your own reality?

As a white, 100% Dutch, blue-eyed, conservative, former Hollander with a 100% Dutch, blue-eyed, blonde, little daughter, I find your remark almost as offensive as it is ignorant. I know of precisely one individual that even resembles your humorous stereotype.

Given Holland's enormous tourism and substantial Hispanic population, that's quite an imagination you have there. Given the turnover at major employers like herman miller, Haworth, Prince, and the like, maybe "imagination" isn't even the right word...
Name calling, how stereotypical. And funny =). Fairly close minded statement don't you think, to feel galled that someone would feel such a way about your former city.
It happens, and to those that have lived in the area for years, perhaps they don't see it. I do, as do my friends or relatives, or their friends and relatives. No discounting that it has a large hispanic population, or tourists. Just saying I am not alone in my feelings of this, so to call me ignorant is to call many others that as well. As mentioned earlier by someone else, probably equally as ignorant as myself, it is something you can't put your finger on, but is definately there.

Old 11-14-2007, 11:21 AM

3,352 posts, read 6,661,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deslok View Post
Of course, people of Dutch ancestry, by definition, aren't White Anglo-Saxon Protestants.

I visited Holland a few times when I lived in Michigan, and even with my brown hair and eyes, I never noticed anyone looking funny at me ...

Old 11-14-2007, 01:09 PM

301 posts, read 823,323 times
I just spent the day in Holland - Suydam is correct, Butch's Dry Dock has great food and JP's has great coffee! I also wandered into several fun shops, including a great yarn store, and window shopped several more. Downtown Holland struck me as very clean, organized, and the folks I did meet were quite friendly. Hope's campus was very busy and JP's was packed with primarily "50-something" retirees enjoying their papers, coffee and pastries. I guess what impressed me most was the overwhelming amount of bike trails! We followed one from Saugatuck to Glen Haven, and I'm sure it went beyond. What a great town to ride! If you do go to JP's be sure and try the "Mermaid Killer" coffee - what fun!!

Old 11-15-2007, 04:30 PM

271 posts, read 934,018 times
If you ain't Dutch, You ain't much!

Or so the old saying goes...

The new generations of Dutch definately don't act "different" towards other white-non-Dutch, as the older generation sometimes does, IMHO. Change is hard, it takes a generation or two...and with the hispanics (20% population today) and non-dutch whites overflowing Holland over the last 10 years, it would be difficult, IMO, to be Dutch and not resent the extremely fast transformation that has occurred and changed the entire ethnic environment virtually overnight.

I'm not Dutch, but must say most of the Dutch I know are well spoken, intelligent, and thoughful of others. In some aspects, one must question if the disolving all the ethnic backgrounds across the USA, such as ethnic Dutch, to create the "Great American melting pot"... is really the best idea for everyone. Good for Star Trek, but much more complex in the real world. And I speak from the heart as I myself am a "mixed breed" that has virtually no roots or traditions to any specific ethnic background (mix of five ethnics groups), which leaves an ethnic gap somehow in the game of life...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan