Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 07:29 PM

33 posts, read 51,897 times

Advertisements

Hehe, i started the food network? I doubt id be able to get the funds to do it, altho, i hear there is festivals. Might cook up some spanish rice, refried beans, and some enchiladas. Maybe even some armadillo eggs with bacon, as an app.
Oh, and to make some good sour cream, just use cream, or light cream, depending on the thickness, and buttermilk. 2 cups of cream to about 3 tablespoons of buttermilk. shake it up to combine, and it takes about a day to settle. You can even use a hot jar or container to make it thicker. There is also a way to make it with cottage cheese, but i don't really like it that way, so you'd have to look it up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 07:34 PM

325 posts, read 371,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXLIZARD View Post
Heck yeah!!! I make some really good chicken enchiladas but I can never get the sour cream sauce right
Here goes:

Tex-Mex Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas

Ingredients:
For the filling:
Four boneless, skinless chicken breasts (I always use the highest quality cuts)
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
3 cubes of chicken bouillon
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 medium-sized Sweet Vidalia onion, diced (about 3/4 of a cup)
Sometimes I add random diced peppers--depending on what treasure I find at the farmer's market

For the sour cream sauce:
2 cloves of garlic, minced
2 Serrano chiles, diced
2 tablespoons of butter
2 tablespoons of flour
2 cups of chicken broth
2 cups of sour cream
1 teaspoon of cumin
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
8 fresh tomatillos, husks removed and cut in half or one 10 oz. can of tomatillos
Dash of cayenne
Salt and pepper to taste

For the enchiladas
12 corn tortillas
Non-stick spray
2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1/2 cup chopped cilantro

Instructions:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Sprinkle the chicken breasts on each side with the salt, black pepper, and cumin. In a large skillet cook the chicken breasts. When the chicken is done, Then shred with two forks. Add it back to the skillet and add onion, peppers, and bouillon. Turn the skillet on low, cover, and allow it to simmer until vegetables are softened.

While the chicken is simmering, in a pot melt the butter. Throw in the diced Serrano chiles and cook until soft, about three or four minutes. Add the minced garlic and cook for another minute. Add the flour and cook for one more minute. Pour the chicken broth into the pot, and whisking constantly cook until chicken broth has thickened. Stir in the sour cream, cumin, cayenne and cilantro. Remove from heat.

If using fresh tomatillos, place them under the broiler on a foil-lined sheet and cook on each side until blackened, about four minutes per side. Place in a blender along with the sour cream sauce and puree into smooth. If using canned tomatillos, skip the broiler step and just place them in the blender with the sour cream sauce and proceed.

Heat the skillet and spray with non-stick spray. When skillet is hot, add two or three tortillas and spray each with non-stick spray. Salt. When tortilla becomes soft flip each over, spray, and salt. Repeat for all 12 tortillas. You wind up with soft, low fat tortillas ready to assemble.

To assemble the enchiladas, pour one cup of the sour cream sauce in the bottom of a casserole pan. Take each corn tortilla and place in the middle 1/3 cup of shredded chicken and a bit of cheese.

Roll the tortillas around the filling and place the rolled tortillas seam side down in the casserole dish. Cover the enchiladas with the remaining sauce and cheese and bake at 350 for 25 minutes or until top is brown and bubbling.

Enjoy!

Old 07-19-2011, 07:42 PM

Location: Michigan BAY-BEH!!(Texan by birth, Michigander by choice!!)
183 posts, read 289,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironlady View Post
Here goes:

Enjoy!

Will definitely be trying this one soon! Thanks!!

Old 07-19-2011, 07:51 PM

21,149 posts, read 19,729,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironlady View Post
Here goes:

Ingredients:
For the filling:
Four boneless, skinless chicken breasts (I always use the highest quality cuts)
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper........
Hell, I could be to Taco Bell and back in the time it takes me to read this!

Old 07-19-2011, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Hell, I could be to Taco Bell and back in the time it takes me to read this!

But you wouldn't get food poisoning!

Taco HELL is FOUL!

Old 07-19-2011, 08:03 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,902,635 times
Quote:

Taco HELL is FOUL!
Them ground up cockroaches what give it the flavor!

Old 07-19-2011, 08:14 PM

21,149 posts, read 19,729,843 times
Quote:
You've never eaten my cooking.

Old 07-19-2011, 08:15 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,936,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
Them ground up cockroaches what give it the flavor!
Yep, but a lot depends on the CUT...and the "breed".

Old 07-19-2011, 08:44 PM

LMAO!! I don't know where the daggum moderator is for this topic but I'm pretty sure we are WAYYYY off topic! Ya'll are too funny!

Old 07-19-2011, 08:59 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,902,635 times
Quote:
LMAO!! I don't know where the daggum moderator is for this topic but I'm pretty sure we are WAYYYY off topic! Ya'll are too funny!
What? A thread about moving to Michigan... turns into a Mexican cooking show...whats the problem?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan