Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 10:20 PM

325 posts, read 371,931 times

Advertisements

Phrack,

Native Texan here. A few thoughts as I read through this thread:

First, demographics of cities/towns are a bit different, at least they are here in West MI, near Holland. The difference between urban and rural areas is not quite as distinct as it is in Texas. Here in Ottawa County, I feel like I am in a small town or the country--but my husband consistently reminds me there are several million people in the area. I still haven't got my mind wrapped around that yet. When I've figured it out, I'll get back to ya.

It may just be that population density does not equate with industrialization or commercialization. In other words, higher populations don't mean more businesses. Not that that's a bad thing. It's just different.

Second, glad to see you've moved away from the Flint area. There are nice people in Flint, but I'm not sure it's the best of all places to start fresh.

Third, I'm sure you realize this, but it bears repeating, especially since your wife and kids have never been out of Texas: Michigan is a WHOLE OTHER WORLD than San Angelo. The land will be fresher and the environment/atmosphere cleaner. Summers will be cooler, and yes, more humid than what you have in San Angelo, but not as humid as Houston or Dallas.

Fourth, you should know that winter is more than snow, it is also very cloudy here. San Angelo receives around 251 days of sunshine a year, with the remaining 114 days overcast or partly cloudy; in the Kalamazoo area, you could probably flip that. Now, for some people, that's a great thing. I certainly thought it would be before I discovered I have a little problem called Seasonal Affect Disorder. They say that only 10% of people actually get it, and of that 10%, maybe 1% actually have severe symptoms. So, in all likelihood, you won't have a problem with it; I just "won" the lottery on that one. Still, you should know about it--that it's the real deal and people aren't just making it up or being pansies about the weather. So, head's up.

Finally, no, you will not find a good Tex-Mex restaurant here--the closest you will get is On the Border. Seriously. But then again, where would you get good Tex-Mex other than Texas? Best to brush up on those culinary skills. I can make killer cheese enchiladas now. Yum! Have some in my fridge right now! Now if I can just master the sopapilla...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 02:03 PM

33 posts, read 51,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironlady View Post
Phrack,

Native Texan here. A few thoughts as I read through this thread:

First, demographics of cities/towns are a bit different, at least they are here in West MI, near Holland. The difference between urban and rural areas is not quite as distinct as it is in Texas. Here in Ottawa County, I feel like I am in a small town or the country--but my husband consistently reminds me there are several million people in the area. I still haven't got my mind wrapped around that yet. When I've figured it out, I'll get back to ya.

It may just be that population density does not equate with industrialization or commercialization. In other words, higher populations don't mean more businesses. Not that that's a bad thing. It's just different.

Second, glad to see you've moved away from the Flint area. There are nice people in Flint, but I'm not sure it's the best of all places to start fresh.

Third, I'm sure you realize this, but it bears repeating, especially since your wife and kids have never been out of Texas: Michigan is a WHOLE OTHER WORLD than San Angelo. The land will be fresher and the environment/atmosphere cleaner. Summers will be cooler, and yes, more humid than what you have in San Angelo, but not as humid as Houston or Dallas.

Fourth, you should know that winter is more than snow, it is also very cloudy here. San Angelo receives around 251 days of sunshine a year, with the remaining 114 days overcast or partly cloudy; in the Kalamazoo area, you could probably flip that. Now, for some people, that's a great thing. I certainly thought it would be before I discovered I have a little problem called Seasonal Affect Disorder. They say that only 10% of people actually get it, and of that 10%, maybe 1% actually have severe symptoms. So, in all likelihood, you won't have a problem with it; I just "won" the lottery on that one. Still, you should know about it--that it's the real deal and people aren't just making it up or being pansies about the weather. So, head's up.

Finally, no, you will not find a good Tex-Mex restaurant here--the closest you will get is On the Border. Seriously. But then again, where would you get good Tex-Mex other than Texas? Best to brush up on those culinary skills. I can make killer cheese enchiladas now. Yum! Have some in my fridge right now! Now if I can just master the sopapilla...
Thank you very much. Thats a lot of info for us. I'm glad im not the only Texan that has/is moving to MI.
Quote:
First, demographics of cities/towns are a bit different, at least they are here in West MI, near Holland. The difference between urban and rural areas is not quite as distinct as it is in Texas...
Yea, thats what I was talking about before. Its like there is citys so close together in MI that they count towards the big citys meto area. Kind of like Dallas-Fort Worth area i guess.
Quote:
Third, I'm sure you realize this, but it bears repeating, especially since your wife and kids have never been out of Texas: Michigan is a WHOLE OTHER WORLD than San Angelo...
I used to live in Maryland for about 1/3 of my life. Loved it there, BUT i, um, how should i put this, want to avoid my family there. They are stuck-up rich people. I assume MI is similar to MD. I showed my family some videos and pics, have been reading to them about it. They love the idea. So, im going to be saving some money for a few months and then head up there around March. If anyone else has some input, ill be glad to take it.

Old 07-19-2011, 02:48 PM

1,734 posts, read 1,203,848 times
I grew up in the metro Detroit area and left for Texas in 1977 due to the economic conditions at that time. (Well, and a man. You know how that goes. ) Most of the time since, I have lived in Fort Worth or nearby areas. While Texas has been pretty good to me overall, like my status says, I'm "always homesick for Michigan." Chiroptera said that most places are what you make of them, and I think that's largely true. The biggest lesson I learned moving here was ... that is was just different. Not better, not worse, just different. And I learned to like some of those differences. If you're friendly, and don't spend all your time saying, "Well, we didn't do it that way back in _______" which really irritates people ... you'll make friends. And you might see why their way makes sense. It's all about being adaptable. I saw a lot of people from up north wash out and go home, often because they couldn't or wouldn't adapt.

That said ... I am hoping to come home to Michigan for good soon. I can hardly wait.

PHRACK, keep in mind that you need a healthy population to support restaurants where you might find employment. And that there is nowhere in any of Michigan's larger cities where people are packed in like Manhattan. I think you could pick most any of them and find a living situation you'd be happy with. You'll probably have to get up there before you can really get a good feel for what is right for you and your family.

Old 07-19-2011, 03:36 PM

33 posts, read 51,897 times
Hrmmm i should get a small business loan and open a Mexican restaurant. Might be a hit

Old 07-19-2011, 04:41 PM

Location: Michigan BAY-BEH!!(Texan by birth, Michigander by choice!!)
183 posts, read 289,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHRACK View Post
Hrmmm i should get a small business loan and open a Mexican restaurant. Might be a hit

DO IT!!!!!! I will be your biggest customer!! Trust me! No matter WHERE you set up shop!! I drove to Toledo, OH this weekend (1 1/2 hours away) JUST for some Sonic! Lord only knows how far I'd be willing to go for some Texmex!!! Mmmm... chicken enchilada's with sour cream sauce.... Mmmmm!!! :shoc ked:

Old 07-19-2011, 05:04 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,902,635 times
We just had 2 Mexican restaurants open this year in Owosso, and a third opening soon.

Old 07-19-2011, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHRACK View Post
I keep thinking the same thing. Last summer at all the farmer's markets, amidst all the fresh, homegrown bell peppers, onions, cilantro, and tomatoes, I thought of selling salsa. But then I thought I'd better finish my dissertation first.

But YES! A Tex-Mex joint would be HUGE. My family drove two hours this weekend for Chick-Fil-A. Goodness knows how far people would drive for good Tex-Mex. I have a friend who lives in Pittsburgh that brings a cooler as one of her carry-ons when she goes to Texas. Before she comes back to PA, she stops and loads up on the fajitas, queso, tortillas, and sopapillas. People are serious about their food!

Old 07-19-2011, 06:03 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,313,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXLIZARD View Post
DO IT!!!!!! I will be your biggest customer!! Trust me! No matter WHERE you set up shop!! I drove to Toledo, OH this weekend (1 1/2 hours away) JUST for some Sonic! Lord only knows how far I'd be willing to go for some Texmex!!! Mmmm... chicken enchilada's with sour cream sauce.... Mmmmm!!! :shoc ked:
There's a Sonic on Telegraph Rd. in Monroe now. It opened earlier this year.

Old 07-19-2011, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXLIZARD View Post
Lord only knows how far I'd be willing to go for some Texmex!!! Mmmm... chicken enchilada's with sour cream sauce.... Mmmmm!!! :shoc ked:
I got a good recipe. Want it???

Old 07-19-2011, 07:03 PM

Location: Michigan BAY-BEH!!(Texan by birth, Michigander by choice!!)
183 posts, read 289,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironlady View Post
I got a good recipe. Want it???

Heck yeah!!! I make some really good chicken enchiladas but I can never get the sour cream sauce right
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan