Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2011, 07:10 AM

1 posts, read 1,253 times

Advertisements

Hoping the news I hear from some of you good folks is positive...I want to move home to Eaton County or Lansing area sometime this summer. I have been researching realtor sites looking for a home as well as seeing what kind of job prospects I can get...
I formerly posted a couple years back and got "NO! THERE'S NOTHING HERE!"...I am hoping time has remotely healed a wound and that things are looking up
I am looking forward to finally getting back home! Can anybody tell me what the job situation looks like for structural welders(15+ years expierience)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2011, 09:58 AM

2,947 posts, read 7,026,875 times
Can't tell you much about the job prospects as I am too far removed -- but, from talking to my father, sister and family all living in the Lansing area (Ingham & Eaton Cos) along with friends in the area, jobs can still be scarce. A lot of businesses in the Lansing area have closed or are struggling.

On the flip side, real estate has dropped in cost.

Old 05-19-2011, 04:17 PM

11 posts, read 56,363 times
I don't know anything at all about that particular industry... but the job market here in general is still pretty slim. Do you have a degree? With 15 years of experience and fantastic references, you may have a good shot. I constantly hear about how there aren't enough "qualified employees," but I think most businesses are being too picky simply because they can be. I checked the Michigan Works website (am I allowed to say that?) for welder/welding keywords within 35 miles of Lansing, and found 2 pages of openings... Go to their website and maybe check out temp agencies - that seems to be where most of the industrial-type jobs go to look for employees. Temp to hire is popular with businesses.
Not to get your hopes up, but I know GM is talking about doing some hiring in Michigan... I'm just saying...
And I don't know what you're used to making, but wages may be lower here than you're used to. I find that many of my friends/family from out of state are surprised by the dropping wages. But as the previous poster said, housing prices are pretty fantastic so that makes up for the difference a little bit.
Hope that helped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan