Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 08:41 PM

1 posts, read 3,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmi View Post
I'll try to be positive and helpful for once, so bear with me

If you're POSITIVE you're moving to Traverse City, I'd recommend that you try to avoid buying a house right in T.C., unless you can afford it. Obviously, the ideal place to live is in the city but I know that the housing prices are quite expensive compared to surrounding areas (Kalkaska, Grawn, Acme, etc.). So do your homework first - you may even want to rent for the first 12-months until you can decide exactly where you want to live. If that's the case, I recommend the Arbor's in T.C. - you're only 2 miles away from the Grand Traverse Mall/Sam's Club etc. and these apartment complexes are super nice and really not anymore than you'd be paying elsewhere.

Here's the link: Traverse City, Michigan Apartment Arbors of Traverse Apartments

BTW - If youa re moving into TC, I'd avoid moving to the area near Munson and the downtown area. The prices are ridiculous and not worth it. Live 10 minutes out and then commute in.

The schools are good in TC and there are options w/ Charter School and Catholic/Christian schools. However, the public schools are Class-A which means you'll have better teachers/books/buildings/programs/etc. than surrounding towns.

As for how Traverse City is growing, honestly, it isn't. It'll probably be the same as it is now in terms of businesses/people/etc. that it will be in 5-10 years. There's just nothing in the area that is drawing people here. No big corporations, no big natural attraction (in fact, the bay water line dropped a foot or two in the late 90s/early 00s and it looks kinda crummy). If you come up here, don't expect things to get any better - what you see is what you get.
OK I dont know where all this is coming from but alot of it is silly. I grew up in Kalkaska and then moved away for 12 years. I have recently moved back and am now moving to TC. TC has grow tremendosly. They never had a walmart, homedepot, lowes, menards, staples, or best buy. They have all those now and more.

As for commuting from kalkaska. At $3 a galllon it is costing me $150-$200 a week to drive to and from. This isnt just because of the commute it is because of weekend and evening trip. Trips that are needed because these little towns roll up the side walks when the sn sets. TC is the only place you can get what your child needs for school the next day because the dog ate his shoe. That money adds up to $600-$800 a month which is almost the going rate to rent a 3 bedroom house. So why put it into the gas tank when I can live in tc, which has a decent public transit system. You can also ride your bike everywhere within a few minutes.

Oh and the schools. When it compare to Kalkaska that closed in March my sixth grade year because they were broke and haven't had buses ever since. TC has awesome schools, award winning in fact. Google their website. They are closing 3 elementary schools at the end of this school year because they are old buildings and it would cost more to maintain or renovate them than it is worth. I drove past one. It still has the fall out shelter sign on the doorway, you know the one from the 50's duck and cover era. They dont want to ask for a millage to repair them when people are leaving michigan in droves.

Another thing about these little towns is they are very clickie. You have to be a member of certain families in Kalkaska to get anything done. I haven't noticed that about TC. And I know all the council people in TC, my wife works for the city clerk. And before I get accused of it, no thats not why I am pro TC. I just was reading on here anonomosly and decided I was sick of seeing folks post the negative about a very nice city.

Yes they have alot of tourist. If it weren't for tourism and lumber this stat would be part of Canada all ready. Those are the only two industries bringing anything into this state right now.

And as Michigan goes. We relied on the Big 3 too long thinking they would carry the weight of the state for ever. Well the big 3 got to big for their own britches and now thay are paying the price and unfortunately, so is Michigan. But we are a strong people, and we will rebound, and come back stronger than ever. We just need leaders to do the job. But than again, so does the USA. Lets get back to worrying about our own and forget the rest of the worlds problems. I'm not saying get complacent like we were before 9-11, but it's time to focus on home. Lets fix US before we fix the world.

Old 10-24-2007, 03:04 PM

3 posts, read 8,676 times
All I have to say is...I am moving to california. I hate winter. But I would NEVER trade the summers in TC for ANYTHING. They are perfect :-)

Old 10-24-2007, 06:01 PM

136 posts, read 482,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cait6531 View Post
All I have to say is...I am moving to california. ...
Out of the frying pan and into the fire.
I spent 6 years in SanDiego. It was the best time of my life.

Old 10-25-2007, 12:41 AM

178 posts, read 701,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoenterprises View Post
OK I dont know where all this is coming from but alot of it is silly. I grew up in Kalkaska and then moved away for 12 years. I have recently moved back and am now moving to TC. TC has grow tremendosly. They never had a walmart, homedepot, lowes, menards, staples, or best buy. They have all those now and more.

As for commuting from kalkaska. At $3 a galllon it is costing me $150-$200 a week to drive to and from. This isnt just because of the commute it is because of weekend and evening trip. Trips that are needed because these little towns roll up the side walks when the sn sets. TC is the only place you can get what your child needs for school the next day because the dog ate his shoe. That money adds up to $600-$800 a month which is almost the going rate to rent a 3 bedroom house. So why put it into the gas tank when I can live in tc, which has a decent public transit system. You can also ride your bike everywhere within a few minutes.

Oh and the schools. When it compare to Kalkaska that closed in March my sixth grade year because they were broke and haven't had buses ever since. TC has awesome schools, award winning in fact. Google their website. They are closing 3 elementary schools at the end of this school year because they are old buildings and it would cost more to maintain or renovate them than it is worth. I drove past one. It still has the fall out shelter sign on the doorway, you know the one from the 50's duck and cover era. They dont want to ask for a millage to repair them when people are leaving michigan in droves.

Another thing about these little towns is they are very clickie. You have to be a member of certain families in Kalkaska to get anything done. I haven't noticed that about TC. And I know all the council people in TC, my wife works for the city clerk. And before I get accused of it, no thats not why I am pro TC. I just was reading on here anonomosly and decided I was sick of seeing folks post the negative about a very nice city.

Yes they have alot of tourist. If it weren't for tourism and lumber this stat would be part of Canada all ready. Those are the only two industries bringing anything into this state right now.

And as Michigan goes. We relied on the Big 3 too long thinking they would carry the weight of the state for ever. Well the big 3 got to big for their own britches and now thay are paying the price and unfortunately, so is Michigan. But we are a strong people, and we will rebound, and come back stronger than ever. We just need leaders to do the job. But than again, so does the USA. Lets get back to worrying about our own and forget the rest of the worlds problems. I'm not saying get complacent like we were before 9-11, but it's time to focus on home. Lets fix US before we fix the world.
Yeah, I agree with you that Kalkaska isn't an "ideal" place to live if you can't be in TC. However, even with expensive gas the average cost of homes/property is FAR, FAR less than what is in TC. This applies to almost all surrounding areas ('cept maybe Interlochen).

You must've been gone from TC for a LONNNNG time because the Wal*Mart has been around since the late 90s (early '98 I believe) and the only "new" major stores to come to TC in the past five years has been Kohl's, Menards, Best Buy, Lowe's & Macy's (which was actually just Marshall Fields).

Since 2000 I would say Traverse City has been virtually stagnate in job/economy growth. If anything, a few big auto-related manufacturing businesses have gone belly up, displacing hundreds of workers and the only new jobs to come into the area have been tourist or retail related. Big businesses and national corporations are staying far away from Michigan, especially far up north where it's not necessary and gas expenses would be really high for shipping good to & from.

Concerning the schools, I don't care WHAT you say, when PUBLIC schools are closing up completely, that is NEVER a good thing. TC has a good school system, yes...but so do most other Class A school districts. Besides, a big or small school, contrary to popular belief, isn't going to make your kid any smarter nowadays. Drugs, teen pregnancy, gangs, drinking, etc. exist in nearly every public education environment and TC is no different.

What I'm saying is that TC's only "selling point" is the Bay. And if you aren't rich enough to live on the Bay (which is receding further every year it seems), there's really no point in moving here. Everything else can be had cheaper and more easily downstate or out of state.

Old 10-25-2007, 10:18 AM

2,068 posts, read 5,968,486 times
ScottMi- I'm looking out the window from my desk downtown at West Bay. You know what they say, 'half your pay is a view of the bay'. For most of that, it is so true, and one reason why I am moving by the end of the year. There used to be a t-shirt here that said, 'drain the bay double my pay'. LOL

Old 10-25-2007, 02:05 PM

178 posts, read 701,864 times
TC is nice, but too many people want to live there year round when it is probably *at best*, just a summer weekend trip destination, nothing more, for most people.

If you can make it there AND be happy, you are one of the select few, I guarantee that.

Old 10-25-2007, 02:41 PM

In order for me to make it here, I have to work two jobs. What's the point in living someplace like this if you can't enjoy it?

It's amazing how many people think they can make as much money here as they can in other areas, with a few exceptions, it's difficult.

Old 10-26-2007, 10:38 AM

10 posts, read 40,884 times
Default This couldn't be more wrong...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmi View Post
Yeah, I agree with you that Kalkaska isn't an "ideal" place to live if you can't be in TC. However, even with expensive gas the average cost of homes/property is FAR, FAR less than what is in TC. This applies to almost all surrounding areas ('cept maybe Interlochen).

You must've been gone from TC for a LONNNNG time because the Wal*Mart has been around since the late 90s (early '98 I believe) and the only "new" major stores to come to TC in the past five years has been Kohl's, Menards, Best Buy, Lowe's & Macy's (which was actually just Marshall Fields).

Since 2000 I would say Traverse City has been virtually stagnate in job/economy growth. If anything, a few big auto-related manufacturing businesses have gone belly up, displacing hundreds of workers and the only new jobs to come into the area have been tourist or retail related. Big businesses and national corporations are staying far away from Michigan, especially far up north where it's not necessary and gas expenses would be really high for shipping good to & from.

Concerning the schools, I don't care WHAT you say, when PUBLIC schools are closing up completely, that is NEVER a good thing. TC has a good school system, yes...but so do most other Class A school districts. Besides, a big or small school, contrary to popular belief, isn't going to make your kid any smarter nowadays. Drugs, teen pregnancy, gangs, drinking, etc. exist in nearly every public education environment and TC is no different.

What I'm saying is that TC's only "selling point" is the Bay. And if you aren't rich enough to live on the Bay (which is receding further every year it seems), there's really no point in moving here. Everything else can be had cheaper and more easily downstate or out of state.

I haven't been around this forum for a while, but I can see that scottmi is posting the same old misinformation. Traverse City is the fastest growing community of its size in the midwest. They are predicting that population in the grand traverse area will grow to 250,000 in 20 more years. It is an incredible community of people who really care to "get it right" -- and there are some wonderful public planning processes occuring right now. The schools are not just good, they are excellent and one of the best in the state. It is laughable to say that the view of the bay is the only thing going for TC. And it's laughable to say that the economic growth has been stagnant.

I think you are a young 20-something, is that right scottmi? Why is a young person your age even spending time online posting bitter messages? Geez, when I was your age I sure had a lot more going on. If you don't like it where you are, then why the heck don't you pack your bags and move on to bigger and better things? Northern MI is certainly never going to be a hotbed of jobs or excitement. When I was your age I up and left after college. I've lived in some different communities around the U.S. and have broadened my horizons. And I can tell you that Traverse City is a wonderful community to live in and raise a family. The bottom line is that you are a young person with very little perspective yet. I don't mean that unkindly, just honestly.

Old 10-26-2007, 10:45 AM

10 posts, read 40,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapunzll View Post
ScottMi- I'm looking out the window from my desk downtown at West Bay. You know what they say, 'half your pay is a view of the bay'. For most of that, it is so true, and one reason why I am moving by the end of the year. There used to be a t-shirt here that said, 'drain the bay double my pay'. LOL
Rapunzil, haven't you posted before that you work for the Traverse City Convention and Visitors Bureau? I wonder how they'd feel about all of the comments that you've posted -- especially during work hours. Last time I checked, they were in the business of, um, promoting Traverse City.

Old 10-26-2007, 10:47 AM

Traverse City remains a wonderful place to visit. It can be a very hard place to make a living however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan