Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 07:40 AM

23 posts, read 82,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Moderator cut: comment
Everyone makes a choice for a reason. I think its fairly obvious to have a higher hispanic population at a state school in Miami. Most state school's don't attract a whole lot of out of state students, and considering 95% of the students are Florida residents it is probably going to represent the Southern Florida demographics pretty closely.

Well if I'm a close representation of Miami and its people then I can't wait to move on down

Student Body

collegesearch.collegeboard.com

1st-year students:
  • 95% In-state students
  • 5% Out-of-state students
  • 8% Part-time students
  • 53% Women
  • 47% Men
  • <1% American Indian/Alaskan Native
  • 4% Asian/Pacific Islander
  • 9% Black/Non-Hispanic
  • 68% Hispanic
  • 16% White/Non-Hispanic
  • 2% Non-Resident Alien
  • <1% Race/ethnicity unreported
  • 37% had h.s. GPA of 3.75 and higher
  • 22% had h.s. GPA between 3.5 and 3.74
  • 14% had h.s. GPA between 3.25 and 3.49
  • 16% had h.s. GPA between 3.0 and 3.24
  • 10% had h.s. GPA between 2.5 and 2.99
  • 1% had h.s. GPA between 2.0 and 2.49
68% looks A LOT more realistic. Also, it is not just about that one link. Just continuously look at the top news stories on the website like I do. It is a majority Latin related. Or just walk around campus and it is easy to see...

F-F, H-H, U-U. FHU......Oh and on that note. The fans chant of ole, ole, ole FIU, FIU.....I first told my friend that chant and he almost fell off his chair laughing. Now if ole, ole is not Latin related let me know

Old 04-04-2008, 08:14 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times
Now I see where your exaggerated view of Weston comes from, which isn't even majority Latin related. But all you have to do is "walk around" and hallucinate a little bit.

Now, of course FIU has a Latin twist considering it's one of a few Hispanic dominated universities in the country. So what's the big deal? At least Hispanics move on to college here. Ever heard of assimilation? I bet someone in your family had to do it too. That's how it starts; though education.

If you wanted to go to a commuter school that was mostly white with a mix you could just go to FAU. Plus you don't have to get stuck on the Palmetto or the Turnpike extension from over here. That is if you are that xenophobic that you have to hide it behind a "lack of diversity" you should try it.

Old 04-04-2008, 08:37 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,739,729 times
One interesting thing is that FIU is reluctant to hire its own graduates as professors. I have seen this time and time again, not sure what to make of it though.

Old 04-04-2008, 09:53 AM

483 posts, read 1,544,270 times
All the "hispanic" kids I've met are as american as any other student in this country, some talk spanish, some dont talk it at all. Some are white, some are black, its really pointless to complain about a school being too hispanic as if thats a flaw, just shows your true colors.

Just went to the website and all I could see "hispanic" about it was one link to a Cuban seminar, but there was also a link to something about the czech republic and the rest normal school related things nothing "hispanic" about it. In the slide at the top of the page two famous african american students are being highlited, the schools swimming team is being celebrated, and a dance marathon is shown and plenty of "white" students shown, if its really that important to you just look.

Old 04-04-2008, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Now I see where your exaggerated view of Weston comes from, which isn't even majority Latin related. But all you have to do is "walk around" and hallucinate a little bit.

Now, of course FIU has a Latin twist considering it's one of a few Hispanic dominated universities in the country. So what's the big deal? At least Hispanics move on to college here. Ever heard of assimilation? I bet someone in your family had to do it too. That's how it starts; though education.

If you wanted to go to a commuter school that was mostly white with a mix you could just go to FAU. Plus you don't have to get stuck on the Palmetto or the Turnpike extension from over here. That is if you are that xenophobic that you have to hide it behind a "lack of diversity" you should try it.
You are mostly Hispanic and you are feeling i am disrepecting you which I am not. If only the south florida hispanics would atleast try to assimilate then most everyone that was born here would not try to leave. Sure my grandparents came here from another country but they did assimilate but for some reason the hispanics in south florida refuse to. The hispanics that actually want to be Americans do leave South Florida because if you live here it is musch harder to become Americanized then anywhere else.

Again, South Florida (which dealing with Broward County, Weston is worse then anywhere else in Broward) and FIU are far from being diverse. FAR.....Go to Washington D.C. for example. That place is diverse. People from all over get along and it is not just hispanics running around talking spanish and turning the place into their own country.

Also, "Tanner" don't just look at the headlines. Read the articles...

FIU Media Release: FIU College of Medicine Receives Preliminary Accreditation (http://news.fiu.edu/releases/2008/02-06_COM(2).htm - broken link)

FIU Media Release: FIU program receives $2.4 million for development of environmentally-friendly technologies in the Americas (http://news.fiu.edu/releases/2008/03-24_WHIX.htm - broken link)

FIU Media Release: FIU Experts on Cuba (http://news.fiu.edu/releases/2008/02-19_experts.htm - broken link)

Your right. THIS time it is not so bad. Out of the 7 stories, only 3 are Latin related some way or the other. My favorite is the first story at the end of the story
"To view this release in spanish, click here." but wait, is this not an "International" university? Where is the choice for other languages? Hmmm....

Last edited by TheonlyAmericanleft; 04-04-2008 at 10:13 AM..

Old 04-04-2008, 10:10 AM

Not to spin the thread off topic, but you ought to check out some of the illegal immigrant enclaves in Northern Virginia.

To back on topic, if they are going to college in a state run university, then how are they not assimilating? Really, I just want you to explain this to me. I checked out FIU, yes there were a lot of Hispanics there but I didn't feel any conquistador attitudes . Using terminology like "running around talking Spanish" just goes to show you how afraid you are of someone who is different than you and your sense of perception. As far as Weston not being diverse (once again off topic on my part), you may not want to accept it, but we as white non Hispanics are the main group in Weston, so I don't know what you are talking about on that one. All but one of our local school districts is at least white dominated (with NO majority, which probably means the area is diverse), which problems means that the neighborhoods are white non hispanic dominated and diverse too. I don't know what you are talking about as far as the Hispanics not assimilating, aside from pockets of immigrant neighborhoods in Dade County. Yes they speak their language publicly but we have freedom of speech in this country so I don't see the problem with them exercising that right. And like I said, if you try talking to some of these people, you might be surprised to find out most of them speak English where it is expected and with non Spanish speaking associates (I even have multiple Hispanic friends, imagine that! Although they speak Spanish amongst their Hispanic friends...), their kids are bilingual, and they aren't walking around with a conquistador attitude, and FIU is the same way (well except the kids part, I hope you don't have kids in college as an undergrad lol).

Old 04-04-2008, 10:19 AM

546 posts, read 2,146,755 times
The only American: South Florida is diverse, maybe not AS diverse as other large world class cities but it is diverse nonetheless. There are lot of hispanics from different countries (Carribean, South and Central America), Jaimaicans and Haitians, Caucasian Americans (there are alot down here) and some Eastern Europeans mixed in as well. There are Greek and Asian communities in Broward even.

Old 04-04-2008, 10:25 AM

"305guy" Yes I am not saying there are NO other group of people. Those people I have no problem with. When I watch my local news and they are interviewed it seems they never need a translator on air like some other people that live here.....

Old 04-04-2008, 10:32 AM

483 posts, read 1,544,270 times
Incredible......your first statemnts still doesn't stand, so what if theres a link to a spanish version?!? Does that really bothger you?! Only 2 articles are hispanic related, but once again SO WHAT?!?! Is it a flaw, do these kids really only talk spanish, do they look too different for you!?!? The second article sounds great to me, some school would love to be in that position. Its just incredible some of the stuff being said.

Old 04-04-2008, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheonlyAmericanleft View Post
"305guy" Yes I am not saying there are NO other group of people. Those people I have no problem with. When I watch my local news and they are interviewed it seems they never need a translator on air like some other people that live here.....
Look, agree to disagree, but to (once again) avoid spinning the thread off topic, this will be my last digression from the OP.

You are right, when you go on the news, and they interview people in many sections of Hialeah, Sweetwater, Westchester, Little Havana, even Doral, there are large enclaves of people who, yes, have in many ways effectively created "their own countries" and do not speak any English. However, in places like Kendall, the FIU campus, Coral Gables, South Miami, most of Broward County, do you really think you need a translator to speak to the Hispanic population in those areas? I really don't know what you are talking about as far as us having no assimilated Hispanics. I think Broward is the only place I have been where the majority of the Hispanics HAVE assimilated to at least a degree and are mostly a part of the integral middle class.

Anyway, agree to disagree, but I'm not going to discuss this anymore since it is way off topic except for the fact that FIU is the same way and you have to be pretty sensitive or excluding your own self to think that you are left out as a white-Non Hispanic person on that campus. Regardless, this is how you feel and if that's how you feel, than that's fine, we agree to disagree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami