Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 04:02 AM

78 posts, read 145,278 times

Advertisements

Hey there!
Next year is Uni for me, I was thinking FIU, the pricing is not as expensive as some others (ie UCSD - $35k-$40k).

I'm not a party guy, ofc I love women (Who doesn't?), I do go out and everything, but not those hardcore parties.

I LOVE the beach, that's why Miami is one of the options, I was searching for a big city (not LA!) with nice beaches.

Is it for me? How much a month (as a student) would be good?

I was thinking living at Downtown, it's like $1.5k for an apartment. FIU is a bit further (18 miles), is the public transportation good? I want to avoid campus
How much would I be required a month, to live a nice comfortable life (obviously not rich mans type.. but just nice )
Coming from Europe

Thanks

HB

Last edited by HayBay; 06-16-2013 at 04:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2013, 07:30 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,486,725 times
If you want to live in downtown and go to FIU, you'll need a car. It will take way to long taking a bus.

Old 06-16-2013, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
If you want to live in downtown and go to FIU, you'll need a car. It will take way to long taking a bus.
Yeap, was thinking first rent a house or live in Campus for 6 months (until I get license and get used to the city).

Thanks

Old 06-16-2013, 08:35 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,751,751 times
There are apartment near FIU that you can get cheaper and not need a car. As far as the beach you need a car to get there, or if you hook up with friends and go as a group you would not.

There are also tons of studios or effiecencies around the six hundred mark in near by areas within ashort bus or bike ride if you want to just live close campus for six month until you get a feel for the area and transportation.

Old 06-16-2013, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubanchic View Post
There are apartment near FIU that you can get cheaper and not need a car. As far as the beach you need a car to get there, or if you hook up with friends and go as a group you would not.

There are also tons of studios or effiecencies around the six hundred mark in near by areas within ashort bus or bike ride if you want to just live close campus for six month until you get a feel for the area and transportation.
Yeah exactly what I was planning to do.

thnx

Old 06-16-2013, 06:07 PM

318 posts, read 626,480 times
FIU is Cuba papo...

dont come here thinking you are going to party like college students do in Hollywood movies. Thats fantasy...

I

Old 06-16-2013, 06:28 PM

313 posts, read 649,112 times
You're the most inane poster on this website Alex, you have very little really to contribute.

FIU has similar demographics to Miami-Dade, about 60% hispanic, 15% white, 13% black and 4% asian. It's located in a heavily Cuban suburb. It's still a college campus, I worked there back in the 90's and it's come a long way.

It's still a commuter school made up of mostly South Florida students from Dade, Broward and Palm Beach. There's also a lare number of Central and North Florida students. You can meet someone from nearly anywhere in the world, seriously.

Partying doesn't revolve around FIU much in Miami. There's plenty of options around the city for you to get out and find what you like. There are some bars and clubs in strip malls around FIU that host college nights, plenty of house parties and fraternity events.

You should find a roommate for an apartment around campus and get involved.

Old 06-16-2013, 08:04 PM

131 posts, read 323,946 times
You think that you may love the beach, but you will find that after the first few months, you rarely ever go there. FIU isnt really a party school..and you may find that attending it is like being in high school all over again. I've heard horror stories about the administration making it so hard to attend and graduate.

Old 06-18-2013, 05:35 AM

As I said, I do go out, but I don't party 24/7, I love water sports activities. I'm not coming to Miami to party, I'm coming to Miami ofc for Uni too, but also to enjoy life, beach, water sports, nice waether, heaven.

Old 06-18-2013, 09:14 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,424,266 times
You can always take the shuttle from Biscayne Bay campus that goes to the main campus. What are you planning to study? Get a place near North Miami Beach not too far from Haulover Beach, but if you like to party then thats another story
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami