Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 07:43 PM

65 posts, read 251,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cane Fan View Post
Hey "Fello Traveller " you need to read the Houston Chronicle a little closer my friend ... todays head lines out of the "Bayou City "

"After Inmate Deaths Feds Begin Inspecting Harris County ( Houston ) Jails "

"Houstonian Sentenced To 35 Years In Killing Over Foot Odor "

"Man Killed After Chase at Houston Apartment Complex "

Go to the link Houston & Texas and read some other tasty morsels ... womans body pulled out of lake , etc , etc .. gang related killings in SW Houston .... etc , etc ..... if all this happened in Miami you malcontents would have a field day on this forum ... imagine killing a guy over foot odor .. wow Miami is crazy , South Florida is a cess pool , too many Latins , people are nuts , yada , yada , yada ... nope it happened in Houston ... sorry .
Ok you are right. Today's Houston Chronicle is much worse than today's Herald. Although nothing in the Chronicle really frightens me the way some of the stuff in the Herald does. For example, the "foot odor" murder was a roommate situation, so I consider that a "domestic". As for inmates dying in jail, that is tragic and should be dealt with but it would never affect me because I will never be in jail.

It is possible that you guys are right that Miami really is no worse than most other places. Maybe it is just an American thing. Remember I am from Canada originally which has far less crime. In America I have lived in Oregon, followed by some very safe and isolated communities in L.A., Orange County (Calif.), and San Diego. So I have not exactly exposed myself to the worst that America has to offer.

I think what really frightens me about Florida though is the home invasions. There do seem to be a lot of those. An individual posted a link to home invasions in other parts of America and I was frankly shocked at that. I didn't know those still went on as I thought that home invasions were just an 80's thing, like they went out of style along with headbands and hairspray.

And I have been on this forum for a while and people in the Miami forum do talk about crime way more than in other cities. Part of the problem may be that because Miami is so small it is difficult to isolate yourself from the ghetto like you can in L.A. Someone said on this forum a while back that if you drive to a mall in Miami people might follow you home just to rob you at gunpoint in your driveway, especially if they see you have a Rolex or something. Is that really true? Because I have never heard of that kind of thing happening in other places, but people on this board have written that that happens in Miami.

I would be interested to see what comes of this particular case though. Because this man was murdered in his own home in broad daylight, and I don't care what anyone says that is frightening. Someone said I am just trying to make him out to be a good kid so that Miami seems more dangerous. But I could just as easily say that others are trying to make him out to be bad (speculating without evidence about drug abuse, etc.) so as to make Miami seem safe. The bottom line is we don't know yet what the full story is.

I am not trying to make Miami out to be worse than it is. But I am concerned at the things I read in the Herald and on this board, and I want to get the straight scoop on what the deal is with Miami. On that note, many of the responses have been helpful, especially "Bostonian"'s reminiscences contrasting NY to Miami back in the 70's and 80's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 07:48 PM

8,377 posts, read 31,017,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FellowTraveler View Post
Someone said on this forum a while back that if you drive to a mall in Miami people might follow you home just to rob you at gunpoint in your driveway, especially if they see you have a Rolex or something. Is that really true?
Very, very common in about 1986.

Old 07-08-2008, 07:54 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,986,419 times
The Miami crime wave of the 80`s reputation never seemed to wear off even now people from other places assume that Miami is still the crime capital and it is far from that now.

Yes Miami has crime and Dade even has one of the most violent cities for its size in the country (opa locka) but Miami itself is no worse then alot of other cities.

Cities like New Orleans and Flint now those are bad.

Old 07-08-2008, 08:20 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,898,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cane Fan View Post
A city with out zoning allows more innovation .. yeah like an Asian massage parlor next to a school , a muffler shop or tarot reading card place next to a nice residential area .. huge ugly bill boards off all the major highways ... a purple tatoo parlor next to a church .. yeah very innovative . Yes , Houston has many positives .. a vibrant economy , nice arts and culture ... but an ugly city with terrible smog and air quality , violent crime every bit as bad or worse than Miami , huge illegal immigration problem .. I was born and lived in Houston for many years , and no it is not much better if it all than South Florida for quality of life .. I do not care what your friend says ...
Those scenarios do not all happen. Although there is no formal zoning, there are city ordinances and HOAs. There are certain kinds of businesses that can't be too close to churches or schools. There is a new city policy on billboards, and many have been removed with more planned to be removed. There is much more attention now to quality of life than in the past. The local economy is booming compared to the rest of the country. Houston also just made a list for the #1 place to live from Kiplinger's. I think modern-day Houston is probably different from the one you once lived in.

Old 07-09-2008, 12:44 AM

107 posts, read 368,683 times
Crime is highly exaggerated in Miami, and everywhere else in fact. Murder makes a great story, and it sells newspapers. But your chance of being affected by it is probably less than being hit by a bus while crossing the street.

Most people who are murdered (something like 90%) are murdered by someone they KNOW. Keep that in mind. Random murder is very rare.

Now guess who is the most likely person to kill you, statistically. It's your SPOUSE! That's why I'm staying single

Just something to think about. Crime is exaggerated, and the numbers don't mean much anyway. Homicides are not random. They happen because someone you know is pissed off at you. My advice: be more nice to people.

Old 07-09-2008, 08:07 AM

227 posts, read 731,250 times
I grew in in Connecticut, moved to Miami twelve years ago, left for Argentina, moved back to States and have lived in Chapel Hill, NC (where there are now tons of gang problems), San Antonio which has tons of crime issues as well, and now Savannah, GA where there was just a double shooting in an affluent historic neighborhood right on the street.

we are now preparing to move back to Miami.
So are there problems in all these places? Yes yes and yes. Are there problems in Miami as well, yes there are, but like any city, you need to be aware of it's particular issues.

I think you have to understand the culture of Miami as well. News is very sensationalized there. Some cities prefer to downplay crimes. I don't know if it's the Latino and Caribbean influences, since it's very much that very much that way in South America or what but it is. It's possible to turn on one of the Spanish news stations and see blood on the TV. Yes there are also problems with different types of crime, but again I believe that is the Latino and Caribbean cultures influences and the fact that overall its history has been quite different from many other cities in the U.S. However, crime exists in other major cities, as well as many smaller places and when you look at the ratios, often they're not much different. Headlines can now read - shooting in mall, man walks into city hall meeting and starts shooting, meth lab destroyed, college student raped and murdered and on and on...i

On this student who was murdered, I wonder about the full extent of the circumstances surrounding it.

Old 07-11-2008, 06:17 PM

294 posts, read 1,153,439 times
We'll see where this goes, but as CTR stated, the kid did live a high risk lifestyle. My theory to begin with was drugs. You play with fire you get burned...

Theory Emerges In U.M. Student's Homicide - Miami News Story - WPLG Miami (http://www.local10.com/news/16853933/detail.html - broken link)

Old 07-11-2008, 06:41 PM

149 posts, read 564,589 times
No disrespect to anyone, but murders and crime happen every day. Murders on college campuses usually get more attention in the media because they don't happen as often. There were twenty something murders over one weekend in the city of Chicago this year. (cant remember the exact date but im not looking it up)

Read the new orleans picayune (sp?) and look how many murders there are in that newspaper. They aren't as highly publicized because stuff like that happens often and doesn't make a good front cover story for the newspaper. It seems like people only pay close attention when these high profile murders occur, then the outcry and the discussions about the need for change and the city's problem with violence begin.

If you were to start a thread everytime somebody gets murdered, the first 4 pages of the forum would be full. I don't mean to take light off the situation, but if your moving to a city to avoid crime, you'll never be happy.

The student didn't get murdered because he attends UM or lives in South Florida. It appears that he got himself into a world of trouble and somebody was determined to stick it to him. This could have happened anywhere.

Old 07-11-2008, 06:51 PM

8,377 posts, read 31,017,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCkid View Post

The student didn't get murdered because he attends UM or lives in South Florida.
Don't you DARE say that. He got murdered because of the rude people and if he went to UNC it CLEARLY would of NOT happened!

In case anyone is really wondering, I was joking...

Old 07-11-2008, 07:02 PM

1,729 posts, read 5,016,735 times
Exclamation Violence against women

Miami is not the only place where there is violence. There is tremendous amount of violence against women, by serial killers as well as by domestic violence. One only needs to go to the True-Crime Section of any book store to see all the books on this subject. It is happening all across the USA, or watch Nancy Grace on CNN Headline News, Greta Van Susteren, on Fox 5 news, Dateline, 20/20, Primetime, 48 hours mystery, True-TV (previously known as Court TV), Geraldo Rivera, etc. The list is endlesss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami