Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 05:05 PM

118 posts, read 220,889 times

Advertisements

jus cus hes not black dont make this unusual.... oh wait, that was why it was posted if it were a black it wouldnt be if its white or brown then iti s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 05:19 PM

65 posts, read 251,241 times
Default More Thoughts

OK you guys may be right that I am making too much out of one thing. Who knows what the motive was for this slaying - I imagine we will find out and it may turn out that the murder was not "random".

Someone made a really good point when they said that I may read more of this stuff in the Herald than in other local papers because the Herald has chosen to focus on crime. It is true that a lot of cities are dangerous and many local papers don't make as big a deal of the crimes. Although I think that in any city they will make a big deal when a student from a major, big league university is found murdered, because that kind of thing is not "supposed" to happen. This guy was not a part-time student at some community college. He was studying biology at UM and he is from Woodland Hills, CA which is a wealthy community in the San Fernando valley. I highly doubt that he was killed over some drug debt or something because I doubt that he would be unable to pay any of his debts. UM is an extremely expensive private school, one of the most expensive in the country. And no drug killing would take place at the tail end of a party, so that explanation just doesn't add up.

It is true that stuff happens everywhere. I may be shocked because I have never lived in a true "southern" city or really bad area. I have lived in Canada, in small, safe towns in the northern U.S. and in Los Angeles and San Diego and Orange County. I am certainly aware that places like New Orleans, Orlando, Memphis, and St. Louis (which I consider basically a member of the 'southern' geographic as well) are extremely violent.

So my main point of reference is Los Angeles. I read the LA Times every day including the "homicide blog" which chronicles every murder. It is true that a lot happens in L.A. but the violence is always confined to certain parts of the city that I would never venture to. It is a major major story in L.A. if something happens in Hermosa Beach or Redondo Beach (less so in Venice which is full of vagrants and transients), and so I have always felt incredibly safe in California. It is somewhat sad to have to say this because I don't like racial and economic stratification for various reasons, but I have never felt "affected" by the crime here because if it happens in South Gate it might as well have happened on another planet.

But Miami feels different to me. I am not saying that Miami is the "crime capital" of the USA (we all know Washington D.C. holds that distinction). What I am saying is that it seems to me to have an unusual level of violence with a degree of randomness compared to what I am used to. Yes you can say that Miami is no worse than Memphis, Orlando, New Orleans, St. Louis, and Detroit. But I would not ever consider living in any of those cities anyway because I know they are dangerous.

What I am more interested in is comparing Miami to places like N.Y., L.A., S.F., etc. because due to its natural assets and beauty Miami does deserve to be compared to the other first-tier cities. And it still seems to me that stuff happens with regularity in Miami that wouldn't happen to that degree in those other cities.

For example, there was a story a couple of months ago where some college kids went to "Club Mansion" in South Beach. They drank one bottle of wine and were handed a ridiculous bill. They were disputing it with the waitress when the bouncer came over, pulled them to the back and they were beaten senseless by bouncers. Now I don't like clubs because I consider the whole clubbing lifestyle seedy, but South Beach is not Overtown - this is Miami's claim to fame and these guys were charged with securing the place, and they were instead beating some kids to a pulp for disputing an outrageous bill. I don't think I am crazy to say that stuff like this really does only happen in Miami.

Perhaps I am wrong to even be comparing Miami to America's first-tier cities? Maybe it really does deserve to be put in the same class as New Orleans and St. Louis, as some posters have implicitly suggested. I want to like Miami but maybe it really is just Memphis with palm trees?

Old 07-07-2008, 05:33 PM

167 posts, read 200,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian21 View Post
Miami the crime capital of the US lmao. Have you ever heard of New Orleans?

I am from Houston originally , still go back twice a year to see family and friends ... I love the city as it has many positives .. but lack of zoning laws and very high cime rates are the negatives ... there are people that would scare the paint off a house in Houston ... read the Houston Chronicle on line for a week and tell me it is not as bad or worse then the Miami Herald ... I also lived in Dallas as a kid and it is not much better than Houston . www.chron.com to suggest Miami is worse than in any other major city is silly .. yes crime is unacceptable here .. but go to St.Louis , Detroit , Newwark , or Baltimore and then talk to me .

Old 07-07-2008, 05:40 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,916,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FellowTraveler View Post

So my main point of reference is Los Angeles. I read the LA Times every day including the "homicide blog" which chronicles every murder. It is true that a lot happens in L.A. but the violence is always confined to certain parts of the city that I would never venture to. It is a major major story in L.A. if something happens in Hermosa Beach or Redondo Beach (less so in Venice which is full of vagrants and transients), and so I have always felt incredibly safe in California. It is somewhat sad to have to say this because I don't like racial and economic stratification for various reasons, but I have never felt "affected" by the crime here because if it happens in South Gate it might as well have happened on another planet.
So that just goes to show you that it truly doesn't matter where you live as long as you are completely sheltered. Ghee, even I (yes blackklight lol) have to go to da hood sometimes and I make it out alive. You can either live life in fear and become a victim or be smart, actually live life, and make it out unscathed.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 07-07-2008 at 06:07 PM..

Old 07-07-2008, 05:41 PM

167 posts, read 200,206 times
Quote:
OK you guys may be right that I am making too much out of one thing. Who knows what the motive was for this slaying - I imagine we will find out and it may turn out that the murder was not "random".

Someone made a really good point when they said that I may read more of this stuff in the Herald than in other local papers because the Herald has chosen to focus on crime. It is true that a lot of cities are dangerous and many local papers don't make as big a deal of the crimes. Although I think that in any city they will make a big deal when a student from a major, big league university is found murdered, because that kind of thing is not "supposed" to happen. This guy was not a part-time student at some community college. He was studying biology at UM and he is from Woodland Hills, CA which is a wealthy community in the San Fernando valley. I highly doubt that he was killed over some drug debt or something because I doubt that he would be unable to pay any of his debts. UM is an extremely expensive private school, one of the most expensive in the country. And no drug killing would take place at the tail end of a party, so that explanation just doesn't add up.

It is true that stuff happens everywhere. I may be shocked because I have never lived in a true "southern" city or really bad area. I have lived in Canada, in small, safe towns in the northern U.S. and in Los Angeles and San Diego and Orange County. I am certainly aware that places like New Orleans, Orlando, Memphis, and St. Louis (which I consider basically a member of the 'southern' geographic as well) are extremely violent.

But Miami feels different to me. I am not saying that Miami is the "crime capital" of the USA (we all know Washington D.C. holds that distinction). What I am saying is that it seems to me to have an unusual level of violence with a degree of randomness compared to what I am used to. Yes you can say that Miami is no worse than Memphis, Orlando, New Orleans, St. Louis, and Detroit. But I would not ever consider living in any of those cities anyway because I know they are dangerous.

What I am more interested in is comparing Miami to places like N.Y., L.A., S.F., etc. because due to its natural assets and beauty Miami does deserve to be compared to the other first-tier cities. And it still seems to me that stuff happens with regularity in Miami that wouldn't happen to that degree in those other cities.

For example, there was a story a couple of months ago where some college kids went to "Club Mansion" in South Beach. They drank one bottle of wine and were handed a ridiculous bill. They were disputing it with the waitress when the bouncer came over, pulled them to the back and they were beaten senseless by bouncers. Now I don't like clubs because I consider the whole clubbing lifestyle seedy, but South Beach is not Overtown - this is Miami's claim to fame and these guys were charged with securing the place, and they were instead beating some kids to a pulp for disputing an outrageous bill. I don't think I am crazy to say that stuff like this really does only happen in Miami.

Perhaps I am wrong to even be comparing Miami to America's first-tier cities? Maybe it really does deserve to be put in the same class as New Orleans and St. Louis, as some posters have implicitly suggested. I want to like Miami but maybe it really is just Memphis with palm trees?
The Greater Los Angeles area is much , much larger than Miami thus much more spread out , but to suggest that it is much safer than Miami Dade County is silly ... road rage in So CAL is as bad as down here and gangs beat the crap out of and kill people all the time ... ever hear of the Mexican Mafia or the Bloods and Crips .. they did not start in Miami !!

So Cal is just so much larger and Miami is so much smaller , crime simply gets more air time down here and is more visible .

Old 07-07-2008, 05:57 PM

392 posts, read 1,261,931 times
I've lived in South Florida for over 30 years and in the past 3 to 4 years the crime, murders, police being shot and killed is out of control.

If there is not 1 or 2 shootings per day it's considered a good day. Just 2 weeks ago a little girl got shot in the leg. About 1 mile from where I live and it is an upper middle class area a guy was shot and killed outside his house... and on and on it goes.

Old 07-07-2008, 06:07 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,965,988 times
Quote:
There is disagreement on this forum about the extent of the crime problem in Miami. I was reading another thread recently where some were saying that the image of Miami as the crime capital of America was an outdated relic of the 1980's Cocaine Cowboys and Miami Vice image. But is that really true?

I read the local news in Miami even though I am not from the area, and it seems that stuff happens in Miami that would never or almost never happen anywhere else in America. And not only does this stuff happen, but it happens routinely. It goes way beyond the average drive-by shooting in a bad neighborhood that we get all the time in California. Things happen in Miami that shock the conscience. And the crimes are not just confined to the bad areas or the people who lived a high-risk lifestyle (prostitutes, runaways, etc.).

Case in point: 21 year old UM student Eddie Pieron was found murdered, lying in a pool of blood two days ago. There is no information as of yet on a motive or a suspect. Can anyone on this board honestly tell me that the crime in Miami is just like any other big city when something like this happens? Because this kind of thing just doesn't seem to happen anywhere other than Miami. Bright young wealthy college kids with their whole lives ahead of them don't go around getting brutally murdered in other cities. N.Y, L.A., Chicago - this stuff just doesn't happen there. It only happens in Miami. And it happens regularly in Miami.

UM student found slain in home was 21 - 07/07/2008 - MiamiHerald.com (broken link)

So let's have a discussion - is anyone going to defend the proposition that crime in Miami is just like other big U.S. cities? And if so then on what basis do you make that claim?

Where have you been your whole life? in a cave? Things like this happen all across america and I don`t need to post links look it up for yourself.

Old 07-07-2008, 06:20 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,761,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cane Fan View Post
I am from Houston originally , still go back twice a year to see family and friends ... I love the city as it has many positives .. but lack of zoning laws and very high cime rates are the negatives ... there are people that would scare the paint off a house in Houston ... read the Houston Chronicle on line for a week and tell me it is not as bad or worse then the Miami Herald ... I also lived in Dallas as a kid and it is not much better than Houston . www.chron.com to suggest Miami is worse than in any other major city is silly .. yes crime is unacceptable here .. but go to St.Louis , Detroit , Newwark , or Baltimore and then talk to me .
A city without zoning allows more innovation and diversity. Houston is nowhere as bad as Miami. While I have never lived there, a friend born and raised in Houston says many good things about the area. Unlike Miami natives, he has his own home and a good career. Never been a victim of crime either.

Old 07-07-2008, 06:29 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,916,163 times
I think Houston is a great city and yes it has great innovation and diversity for a sunbelt city. And like Miami there are defined lines. It gets the official compelled to reply Gold Seal. By comparison Miami-Dade County is not approved. Broward County receives a Gold Seal and Palm Beach receives a silver. The highest is platinum.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 07-07-2008 at 06:38 PM..

Old 07-07-2008, 06:57 PM

314 posts, read 1,037,393 times
Quote:
He was studying biology at UM and he is from Woodland Hills, CA which is a wealthy community in the San Fernando valley. I highly doubt that he was killed over some drug debt or something because I doubt that he would be unable to pay any of his debts. UM is an extremely expensive private school, one of the most expensive in the country. And no drug killing would take place at the tail end of a party, so that explanation just doesn't add up.
last time I checked expensive schools COST money more than they provide it so being a college student at an expensive school would actually increase the liklihood of him being short on money (not incompletely rule it out like you said) and being from a rich area means his parents probably have money. Maybe maybe not but even if they do what college student is going to call their parents up and say "hey, mom and dad, I have a huge drug debt, send me the money so i can pay it off"

People buy drugs on credit all the time, especially if they are regulars or a friend of a friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami