Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2012, 09:50 AM

1 posts, read 5,479 times

Advertisements

I need advice, I'm a 38 year old single female looking for a cool place to live in south florida. I currently live in Miami but need advice regarding the best neighborhoods where I can meet people in my demographic. Any thoughts on Miami vs Fort-Lauderdale?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2012, 06:40 PM

1 posts, read 3,880 times
Miami is very busy. Fort Lauderdale is more laid back. It really depends what you're looking for.

Old 11-11-2012, 09:21 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,450,255 times
OP tell us a little more about yourself so we can tailor our opinions more towards you.

Old 11-11-2012, 07:09 PM

984 posts, read 4,314,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingbeyond View Post
Miami is very busy. Fort Lauderdale is more laid back. It really depends what you're looking for.
Yes, that's exactly right. Miami has more of an International and Latin American vibe, more amenities and things to do, but more issues (crime, traffic and related). Broward is not that different, it has lots of great and less stressful suburbs, also has good urban areas (towards the beach and east of US-1, generally), plus it has lots of amenities and nearly everything you'd need and want, though in a slightly lesser quantity than Miami, but the issues also are generally more limited to a lesser extent as well.

Old 11-11-2012, 09:56 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,201,724 times
I would choose Fort Lauderdale. I actually just returned from college visits in DC and Florida. I stayed in Fort Lauderdale,and while some areas were not that nice, I loved the atmosphere. It was laid back, and to me felt like a mix between San Diego and Honolulu. A beautiful city, but had the same weather and beaches as Miami. While Fort Lauderdale has nightclubs and is diverse, it is much more relaxed than Miami, and there are less minorities than Miami (I find that to be a negative). But I could care less about there being less nightclubs than Miami because Fort Lauderdale still has so much nightlife, and less crime, crowds, dirtiness and traffic than Miami, so it is more relaxed. Many have even said that they hate Miami because it seems too "third-world". I didn't get that feeling, but I was only in Miami for an afternoon, so I didn't get to experience much other than the crowd. Fort Lauderdale was gorgeous though, and only 30 minutes away.

Old 11-12-2012, 08:26 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,359,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobMAX View Post
Yes, that's exactly right. Miami has more of an International and Latin American vibe, more amenities and things to do, but more issues (crime, traffic and related). Broward is not that different, it has lots of great and less stressful suburbs, also has good urban areas (towards the beach and east of US-1, generally), plus it has lots of amenities and nearly everything you'd need and want, though in a slightly lesser quantity than Miami, but the issues also are generally more limited to a lesser extent as well.
That depends on where you live in miami. For instance Midtown/Design District, Edgewater, Downtown Miami, Coconut Grove and South Beach do not have Latin vibes to them. On south beach you can hear any number of languages and see any number of people from various areas. In the Grove you are just as likely to hear French as you would English or Spanish. So i think it depends on where you are at exactly.

Old 11-12-2012, 01:29 PM

984 posts, read 4,314,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
That depends on where you live in miami. For instance Midtown/Design District, Edgewater, Downtown Miami, Coconut Grove and South Beach do not have Latin vibes to them. On south beach you can hear any number of languages and see any number of people from various areas. In the Grove you are just as likely to hear French as you would English or Spanish. So i think it depends on where you are at exactly.
It is true as well, you'll have a different perspective depending on which area it is down here.

Old 11-12-2012, 04:50 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,515,104 times
Being 38yr old means you have to work unless somehow you are independently wealthy. What kind of work do you do? Where will/can you get a job in that field? Alot of us live where we do because of employment.

We can help guide you to some nice areas if we know a little more about what you want out of being in South Florida. For example, are you looking for 'night life', want to be on/bear the beach, or looking to be 'out in the country?' A target budget for rent per month wouldn't hurt either. GENERALLY, Broward is a little less expensive than Dade - but I really put the two counties very close to each other nowadays. Not like years past where Broward was 20 years behind the traffic, crime, congestion as Dade. Back in late 1992, Hurricane Andrew helped Broward catch up quick when it displaced thousands of Miami-Dade Countians.

Last edited by Dakster; 11-12-2012 at 04:50 PM.. Reason: Typo's

Old 11-26-2012, 10:14 AM

31 posts, read 49,309 times
It seems it will depend on what you want to live near and what will come with living there. Everybody knows where the parties are. You will have to be willing to accept what comes living there. I'm guessing be a single female you will want easy access to but not directly in "Party Central". I think you will find very appealling choices in both cities.
The only major defining difference is the price. I moved to Broward after previously being in Dade. I miss being there and go often. When I'm down there I am constantly... jaw droppingly shocked everytime I buy, well, anything. The difference in price is amazing.
I still miss being there but we got a good deal here. I miss walking to places.

Its different.
Different countries.
My partners idea. LOL

Last edited by UrbanPlanz; 11-26-2012 at 10:25 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami