Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2006, 12:06 AM

1 posts, read 10,125 times

Advertisements

I am trying to relocate from NYC to the Miami-FLL metro area. Was wondering what the job market is like for white collar professionals. I have a law degree and some executive management experience. Thanks for any info you can give.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2006, 05:56 AM

9,357 posts, read 14,297,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fg10001 View Post
I am trying to relocate from NYC to the Miami-FLL metro area. Was wondering what the job market is like for white collar professionals. I have a law degree and some executive management experience. Thanks for any info you can give.
As for downtown Miami, my impression is that there are opportunities for lawyers with education/experience in international law, and having a second or third language (Spanish and Portuguese) is a major asset, along with the right connections of course.

I know of a graduate of UoM who landed a $100,000 job at a downtown law firm in the field of international law (though her debt coming out of law school matches or exceeds her salary).

Generally speaking, my impression is that that one needs skills, experience, and connections that open opportunities in the growth-areas of the economy, i.e. international investment and trade and/or, until relatively recently, construction and real estate services, two sectors where Miami has been booming.

Otherwise, most white collar jobs in Miami and Florida in general, perhaps with some exceptions in medical and information & telecommunications technology, pay significantly less than in NYC, perhaps as little as half.

There are several ongoing threads on this issue, one in particular addresses Palm Beach County, and the main points apply to Miami-FFL and Florida in general.

In short, it is not impossible to find worthwhile professional career opportunities, in the Miami-FFL area in particular, but you need the right combination of skills, experience, and connections in the right niche of the right sector.

Good luck!

Old 12-24-2006, 09:45 AM

2 posts, read 13,616 times
Default The job market for professional

Quote:
Is for the taking, plenty of opportunity, you just need to seek it out! Get hooked up with the professional search companies there are loads here, you will be placed in no time!

Old 12-28-2006, 08:16 AM

929 posts, read 1,156,120 times
well ive been looking for a tech job for 2 months now and its been DEAD.
just remember. there arent too many large businesses here. so if you have any sort of specialized job it is not wise to move here because you have severely limited job options. i keep hearing the same **** companies hiring over and over.

Old 12-29-2006, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CiXeL View Post
well ive been looking for a tech job for 2 months now and its been DEAD.
just remember. there arent too many large businesses here. so if you have any sort of specialized job it is not wise to move here because you have severely limited job options. i keep hearing the same **** companies hiring over and over.
It appears that tech job seekers face enormous competitive pressures: the potential talent pool has increased enormously in this sector, to some billions of people around the globe.

I have the impression that the high growth-potential sectors in the Miami-FFL area at least are international trade, investment and law, construction and real estate services at least until recently, the government sector, well-placed professionals (again law and medical, for example), executive positions in large companies (they do exist in the area), and probably good old, hard services like plumbing and mechanics if run as one's own business.

I probably missed a few sectors where there are opportunities (Boca Raton and West Palm Beach feature telecommunications and avionics, for example, but, true, big companies are relatively scarce), but those are the ones that come to mind first. Again, good connections are also of vital importance.

Good luck!

Old 12-29-2006, 05:44 AM

tech jobs are dead. i know that. also realestate is bad. we have a friend up in boca raton who's mom was in realestate for decades and is taking classes to become a massage therapist because she was unable to sell a house for four months. i was wondering... do you think there is a market in miami for a american-owned house cleaning service?

Old 12-29-2006, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CiXeL View Post
tech jobs are dead. I know that. Also real estate is bad. we have a friend up in Boca Raton whose mom was in real estate for decades and is taking classes to become a massage therapist because she was unable to sell a house for four months. I was wondering... do you think there is a market in Miami for an American-owned house cleaning service?
Wow! I am surprised that someone with decades-long experience feels she is being squeezed out of the sector.

As for a house-cleaning service business in Miami, I suppose so: it is a very practical service, like plumbing and mechanics. But again, securing a good customer base probably depends a lot on knowing the right people to begin with.

Old 12-29-2006, 02:31 PM

yeah thats tough when you dont know anyone. its so strange that the culture is so different that its so difficult to make friends here. and its not just us. i spoke with someone from orlando who said she and her husband had been down here a year and hadnt made any friends.

Old 12-30-2006, 01:27 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,585,697 times
Lightbulb Just a few thoughts:

Quote:
If you are relocating from NYC, you may want to check the other posts re: Palm Beach County, as Bale has suggested. I worked as a paralegal and can tell you it would depend on your field of law. I worked for a Sr. Partner in Hollywood Fl, who did well with real estate/HOA litigation.

On the flip side, insurance defense is prevalent, some attorneys seemed to be struggling on their salaries. Many of them relocated from NY/NJ and were having issues with that. It was markedly lower than what they were used to earning.

Old 01-07-2007, 11:18 AM

brim_lox, whoa dude!
ok im as pissed off as any of you over the situation. but rape their children?
im not that angry yet. yes we see rafts in the keys from time to time left on the shore. yes many latin people are mean to us or cut in line at the post office and grocery store.
we americans need to stick together, network with each other, and have each other's backs. after all, thats what they do. we need to do the same.
i do however understand your need to vent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami