Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 02:15 PM

94 posts, read 134,179 times

Advertisements

I find it unreal that as a whole PUBLIX in Miami is more expensive than NY Waldbaums as far as brand names go. I compare Waldbaums with Publix because both are same high standards for cleanliness,freshness,etc but Publix here is more expensive for SAME EXACT items .

Its like Publix wants you to only buy their brand name .

Not to mention FLORIDA Oranges cheaper in NY than Miami there is something wrong with this picture .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2007, 03:50 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,450,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valea View Post
I compare Waldbaums with Publix because both are same high standards for cleanliness,freshness,etc but Publix....
Actually Publix isn't that clean ranked #3 dirtiest chain grocery stores in the country. Winn Dixie did better than Publix actually.

How safe is your grocery store? - Dateline NBC - MSNBC.com

Old 10-05-2007, 04:04 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,131,637 times
Well in appearance of cleanliness, Publix wins hands down. Winn Dixie always seems dirty and run down. But I suppose hygiene is what they graded on.

I have had relatives come down from PA and comment about how fresh citrus and fruits are cheaper up there than here. My only rationale was that Miami is expensive, land is expensive, electricity is expensive etc...more so than in PA. But if NYC supermarkets are more expensive, we know we are just being price gouged since Publix is really the only decent chain we have that is common throughout the whole area. We really do not have a lot of choices if you think about it...

Old 10-05-2007, 04:31 PM

2,143 posts, read 8,029,725 times
Publix brands aren't bad. The cereal is pretty good.

Old 10-05-2007, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilybeans View Post
Publix brands aren't bad. The cereal is pretty good.

I agree not bad but they shouldnt 'jack up" the prices the way they do so you pick their brand.
I mean a noticeable difference in name brands prices compared to NY . Not every name brand but many if not most

Old 10-05-2007, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
Actually Publix isn't that clean ranked #3 dirtiest chain grocery stores in the country. Winn Dixie did better than Publix actually.

How safe is your grocery store? - Dateline NBC - MSNBC.com
I can only comment on the one I go to its spotless and great place but over priced .
it might be cheaper to buy fruit in Alaska lol . Thanks for the link going to check it out

Old 10-05-2007, 09:21 PM

16 posts, read 85,417 times
Default expensive

i work for publix in p.beach county, and i agree, it is all very expensive, some even more than where i come from...england

i think in general, the whole of south florida is just one huge rip-off.

happy.sunny days

Old 10-06-2007, 09:05 AM

87 posts, read 269,876 times
The problem is that there's no real competition in terms of supermarkets in South Florida. You have Publix, Publix and Publix, because Winn-Dixie pretty much suck!

I would love to see Tesco (a UK supermarket giant) come to South Florida, because their supermarkets would blow Publix out of the water in just about every department.

Old 10-06-2007, 11:03 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,739,729 times
Too bad there are no more roadside fruit stands throughout south Florida. When I was a kid we had so many FREE mangoes, papayas, oranges, tangerines, grapefruits, loquats, avacados, pineapples, lemons/limes, and bananas that it was RARE to buy fruit at the store. Publix was cheaper then, about the same as Food Fair, A&P, Great Valu, and Grand Union but had more class, and free bagging service and loading. Publix stores used to be a showplace of modern efficiency and cleanliness, but are now no big deal. Some of their store interiors look like warehouses. Good store, but only go there for the sales.

Did you know that Publix used to be closed Sunday morning?

Old 10-06-2007, 11:16 AM

563 posts, read 2,773,138 times
There was a lot more competition when I was younger.

I clearly remember Pantry Pride, Xtra Supermarket, as well as Winn-Dixie and Publix.

Even the Publix here in Metro Atlanta is more expensive than the others...SuperTarget is a lot nicer and cheaper than Publix. Check them out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami