Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 08:25 AM

3,231 posts, read 7,466,823 times

Advertisements

Do you all find that Publix is more expensive than Winn Dixie? I do have one of those fairly close to me here on A1A that seems relatively clean...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2007, 08:57 AM

546 posts, read 2,148,450 times
i think so...publix is more expensive than winn-dixie but winn-dixie is usually not as clean and in not in desirable parts of town like publix is.

Old 10-25-2007, 09:32 AM

3,231 posts, read 7,466,823 times
There's one here on The Galt that doesn't seem too bad.... It's only a couple miles south of me. Maye I'll give it a shot. Thanks!

Old 12-01-2007, 07:01 PM

94 posts, read 134,504 times
Since I posted this . I have emailed Publix about lack of selection of other name brands thus forcing their own brand as its only choice.
The Publix by my house which is only one I have gone to has since gotten more name brands as now not forced to buy only publix ground turkey,chicken,etc.

So I must say they did listen . I Dont find them cheaper than NY but no one forces me to go there atleast in last few weeks selection of other name brands which they lacked has improved A LOT and that I like

Old 12-01-2007, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnThaGrind View Post
yea, i just moved here last month from NYC.. queens to be exact. I stayed outta waldbaums because they were expensive. I used to go to the little independent supermarkets. Good food, and cheap. (Most of the time). Then i come here, and i went to Publix and my blood pressure made my ears ring when i looked at the prices.. crazzzzyy. I used to buy FLORIDA avocados for a dollar a pop in NY, over here they are between 2 to 3 each. And yes, oranges are more, the meat is more, milk, everything is more!! WTF? Albertons is cheaper, and me and walmart have become good friends, they are cheap, and the food there aint that bad at all. I do miss my Pizza, bagels, and the really good sandwiches that u can get for like $2 that was stacked with boars head cold cuts with whatever u wanted. Over here, it would be like $7. But hey, it is what it is right?

Lol oh Queens thats fantastic for fruit/vegetable/milk/Juice corner store markets. I miss that so much. I used to stop by Bayside or Whitestone place.
I am going to show my fiancee your post as he cant fathom fruits/vegetables cheaper in NY (thinks I am crazy).
I was shocked by the prices in Publix but like you I got used to those fruit/vegetable type places.
Its funny isnt it citrus fruit 1/2 the price in NY than here in Florida lol and true about the sandwiches stacked with cold cuts,etc cheaper than here.
No one believes it till they come from NY . By the way dont price the fish either you will faint not like Long Island fish markets which were so cheap and such great fish

Old 12-01-2007, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Too bad there are no more roadside fruit stands throughout south Florida. When I was a kid we had so many FREE mangoes, papayas, oranges, tangerines, grapefruits, loquats, avacados, pineapples, lemons/limes, and bananas that it was RARE to buy fruit at the store. Publix was cheaper then, about the same as Food Fair, A&P, Great Valu, and Grand Union but had more class, and free bagging service and loading. Publix stores used to be a showplace of modern efficiency and cleanliness, but are now no big deal. Some of their store interiors look like warehouses. Good store, but only go there for the sales.

Did you know that Publix used to be closed Sunday morning?

For some strange reason I just assumed fruit,vegetables,etc was cheaper in Florida/ Miami when I moved from NY.
I thought lots fruit,vegetable places which like NY sold dairy and juice to,cold cuts,etc but real cheap here . I was in for a shock lol.
No such thing . I do find them very clean,nice folks and efficient just not used to these higher prices but getting used to them lol
The roadside fruit stands you speak of from Miamis past are in NY . VERY cheap compared to Publix or any Miami supermarket.
I dont know why they dont have them in Miami

Old 12-01-2007, 08:06 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,168,132 times
Lightbulb Publix Supermarkets

We have discussed this topic in other forums and Publix procures normally the first pick of fruit and veg before any other supermarket in the area. Their products named Publix are guaranteed to be at the same quality as brand name.

They are way more clean than the other supermarkets and you can ask to bring products and they normally agree.

See mission overview:

Our Mission at Publix is to be the premier quality food retailer in the world.

To that end we commit to be:

* Passionately focused on Customer Value,
* Intolerant of Waste,
* Dedicated to the Dignity, Value and Employment Security of our Associates,
* Devoted to the highest standards of stewardship for our Stockholders, and
* Involved as Responsible Citizens in our Communities.

Old 12-01-2007, 10:12 PM

The fruit,vegetable/dairy places I went to in NY had outstanding stuff and cheaper.
I dont doubt at all that Publix has great stuff I dont believe it any better than the places I went to in NY .
I have yet to meet a recent NY transplants who disagrees with me
I do agree its very nice,clean and overall very good very efficient
I like Publix I shop there but wish there were places in Miami like those we NY transplants miss as prices were great (fruit/vegetable places)
If you represent Publix than I am sure you know the types of places in NY I am talking about like Farmers Market in Long Island or Whitestone/Bayside fruit/vegetable markets.

I dont doubt any of this but still doesnt change what I have stated . I also dont doubt their Publix brands are as good as others however the greater choice of name brands the better prices will be for the consumer as now products have a tendency to stay lower as now brands compete with each other.

As a consumer give me the choice betweeen Publix ground turkey or Perdue,etc . Now they do but when I first got here they didnt I emailed them and yes they did listen but it was weird that I had to ask for something like competetion in the ground turkey,chicken arena lol .

Last edited by Valea; 12-01-2007 at 10:25 PM..

Old 12-01-2007, 10:19 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,168,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valea View Post
The fruit,vegetable/dairy places I went to in NY had outstanding stuff and cheaper.
I dont doubt at all that Publix has great stuff I dont believe it any better than the places I went to in NY .
I have yet to meet a recent NY transplants who disagrees with me
I do agree its very nice,clean and overall very good
I like Publix I shop there but wish there were places in Miami like those we NY transplants miss as prices were great (fruit/vegetable places)
If you represent Publix than I am sure you know the types of places in NY I am talking about like Farmers Market in Long Island or Whitestone/Bayside fruit/vegetable markets.

I dont doubt any of this but still doesnt change what I have stated

* Passionately focused on Customer Value,
* Intolerant of Waste,
* Dedicated to the Dignity, Value and Employment Security of our Associates,
* Devoted to the highest standards of stewardship for our Stockholders, and
* Involved as Responsible Citizens in our Communities
Don't represent Publix, but they have better quality of groceries than other local supermarkets in our area. I'm from NYC so I what you can find in the city...

Old 12-01-2007, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
Don't represent Publix, but they have better quality of groceries than other local supermarkets in our area. I'm from NYC so I what you can find in the city...

Lol well Manhattan is expensive but okay you know what I mean about the fruit/vegetable places in the other boroughs.

I dont doubt at all that Publix has better quality than local places .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami