Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 10:35 PM

73 posts, read 194,545 times

Advertisements

Unfortunately, much of South Florida is today almost a 3rd world country because of 3rd world refugees and illegals bringing their slum culture here.

Old 01-12-2013, 11:17 PM

21 posts, read 40,333 times
49_Retired,

What I don't understand is your statement about the middle class not existing in Miami. I am 26 years old, a health care professional, and make between $100-125k a year, and live a very comfortable lifestyle. In fact, I will be moving to Brickell to live in one of those high-rise condominiums in a matter of months. I am definitely middle class. But according to you, in Miami, the population only consists of the "rich" and "poor". I'm sorry, but I do not consider myself poor by any means. You do not have to be wealthy to live in Brickell, Coral Gables, Coconut Grove, or any of the other desirable areas down here. Doctors, pharmacists, dentists, lawyers, accountants, and a variety of other professionals in Miami are solidly middle class and far from poor. I definitely disagree with your perspective.

Old 01-12-2013, 11:32 PM

73 posts, read 194,545 times
Jon, you're 26 years young and make $125k yearly..... ? Bro, you are clearly in the upper class. Myself, at 26, I was pulling up railroad spikes in Okeechobee at $7 hourly. Someone helped you in a huge way, or you came in to some big money, or your Father is wealthy, and helped you. I got buddies with engineering degrees from UF and FSU living day to day, some can't even get a job today, and your making $125k yearly? Man, you make me sick!

Old 01-12-2013, 11:47 PM

49_Retired,

I posted a range, but let's say the average is more like $112-115k a year for what I do. I have the potential to get to $125k and make even more (with overtime), which is why I included a range. I'm a pharmacist (not a street pharmacist lol) and hold a doctorate degree, but as I said, if you make a nice salary in Miami, you don't have to be wealthy at all to live comfortably.

But I guess I see what you mean: What you mean is that most households rake in about $30-35k per year and can be considered poor when compared to the high cost of living down here. Only the good areas in Miami like nice, everything else looks "alright" at best. By the way, my family is far from wealthy. My parents are teachers. Even at my salary, I still can't afford a $700k-$1 million condo. However, comfortable living in a nice high rise with views of biscayne bay, the city, and all amenities included is within reach. By the way, I am Cuban, but I was not born here. I was born and raised in NY and if you saw me, you would think I'm "white".

Old 01-12-2013, 11:50 PM

The problem is a bachelor's degree is not enough in this country anymore. Too many people pursue a college education thinking they will make $50,000 a year and it doesn't work this way anymore. I am surprised to hear about your engineering friends, as engineering is a very good field and is supposed to be one of the HIGHEST-PAYING undergraduate degrees.

For the most part, to do well in this country, you need to become a pharmacist, medical doctor, or lawyer. Master's or doctoral degrees are the new bachelor's. Today's bachelor's degree is the new high school diploma. This is the truth.

Old 01-13-2013, 04:15 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,946,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49_Retired View Post
Jon, you're 26 years young and make $125k yearly..... ? Bro, you are clearly in the upper class. Myself, at 26, I was pulling up railroad spikes in Okeechobee at $7 hourly. Someone helped you in a huge way, or you came in to some big money, or your Father is wealthy, and helped you. I got buddies with engineering degrees from UF and FSU living day to day, some can't even get a job today, and your making $125k yearly? Man, you make me sick!
He worked hard for his.

Old 01-13-2013, 04:17 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,946,158 times
I never got how people got to the conclusion that "There's no middle-class in Miami". There's a huge middle-class to the West/Southwest of the city. What do you call all those mcmansion neighborhoods and apartments in Kendall, Cutler Ridge, South Miami, West Miami, Westchester, Fountaieblu, Doral, etc, etc.

Old 01-13-2013, 04:58 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,839,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina1686 View Post
I always wondered why Miami is sooooooo expensive. This city is extremely inflated in every single area, but salaries are one of the lowest in the nation, if not the lowest. I'm not an economist, but I understand the basics of supply and demand and honestly everything in Miami has been manipulated. We Miamians are forced to pay a premium for everything and we end up in debt. There are few rich and lots of poor individuals. Obviously poor ca't afford a property in Miami. Really, what makes this city so expensive besides being a major attraction for tourists? A tourism based economy equals poverty, this doesn't make any sense to inflate cost of living. Jobs almost don't exist here, most are part time minimum wage jobs that don't even put food on the table. In addition, getting hired for those jobs is a mission due to the hundreds of applicants who are willing to work for peanuts. Being skilled or non skilled is the same in Miami, you just need your "compadre" to get the position, this is BS. Rents?? Are a joke, even the ghetto is expensive, and the decent areas are near NYC pricing. NYC has a great reason for being so expensive, IT'S THE CAPITAL OF THE WORLD, but Miami? Really this is just a tourist party town with no culture full of starving immigrant and low class people.

Any good reason whyMiami is sooooo overpriced compared to the rest of the state and the nation in general?
Miami is no different regading cost of living to salary ratio than any larger metro USA city. I would need double what I earn now to live in the same manner in San Francisco or NYC. I still would not have a pool and be lakeside. There are a lot of wealthy, more middle class and a number of poor. Same as anywhere else when you include all zipcodes. Part time minimum wage jobs when I was a teen did not put food on the table either. What is your point? Part time and minimum wage should be a living wage? Are you serious? Personal network has always been the key to landing a better job at any payscale. If your post is emblematic of your social skills then blame yourself.

There is no good reason because your premise is false. Develop some social skills and work ethic and you will get ahead. Do not and you end up here whinning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami