Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 07:23 PM

769 posts, read 1,731,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Stating who is right or wrong was not my point. I was pointing out somehow it is suppose to be "respectful" for an English speaker to learn Spanish, but somehow a Spanish speaker is not burdened by this. This is along the same lines where some people make fun of Americans for not knowing two languages (always presuming English and Spanish), yet fail to mention the Spanish speakers not knowing two languages either. If the Spanish speakers in were bilingual in English, there would be no concern about speaking Spanish.

Either way, English is still the dominant language, especially in any job past $8 an hour; Florida is still part of the US, in which English is the dominant language; many Spanish speakers are actually the immigrants, not second or third, etc, generation; I look at the WW2 memorial at Bayside and do not see too many Hispanic sounding names on it.

Frankly, I do not care what language anyone speaks or learns living in their little corner of the world, I do not even speak English when I am out and about with my wife.

By the way, I like Miami, in case anyone here assumes I am complaining, which I am not, just having a conversation.
I guess I understand what you're saying, it is rude to treat someone as a second-class citizen for speaking the language of their country, however people will always do this and there's not one can do. There are tons of Americans living in Mexico who haven't learned Spanish or Brits in Gibraltar or the Canary Islands who haven't learned Spanish. It's not like the earth will stop rotating if we don't learn English.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 12:40 AM

1,946 posts, read 5,384,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Optional Angel View Post
I guess I understand what you're saying, it is rude to treat someone as a second-class citizen for speaking the language of their country, however people will always do this and there's not one can do. There are tons of Americans living in Mexico who haven't learned Spanish or Brits in Gibraltar or the Canary Islands who haven't learned Spanish. It's not like the earth will stop rotating if we don't learn English.
Gibraltar is British, so it would make sense that they don't speak Spanish there.

Old 05-16-2011, 12:48 AM

67 posts, read 116,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cixcell View Post
OMG. today i saw a guy flipping between english and spanish every couple of words. some sentences in english, some in spanish. wtf dude. seriously. PLEASE pick one.
I do the same - but I mix more languages (about 3-4). Lucky those who speak one only. Or, I might say, unlucky?
In my culture (which obviously is not American) we say - one person can be as many persons, as many languages speaks. I know, for one who speaks one language only, it doesn't make any sense.
For a polyglot has a meaning - he is knowleadgeable of as many cultures as many languages speaks

Old 05-16-2011, 12:51 AM

67 posts, read 116,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cixcell View Post
cuz id like there to be an official language here. itd make things alot easier. whether it was english or spanish it doesnt matter. if it were spanish it would force me to learn, if it were english id be already prepared. it doesnt matter to me so long as we arent making our way to some sort of pidgin english here incompatible with everything else.
I totally agree with the official language. I believe America it's the only one on this whole planet which doesn't has one.
However, in my private life (out of business), no one can tell me what language to speak..

Old 05-16-2011, 01:15 AM

1,978 posts, read 4,406,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers29 View Post
Gibraltar is British, so it would make sense that they don't speak Spanish there.
Well, Benidorm certainly is! LOL!

YouTube - The Fall - British People In Hot Weather

Old 05-16-2011, 06:14 AM

2,226 posts, read 5,108,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Optional Angel View Post
Could you not then argue that the hosts are the Spanish-speaking Miamians and the visitors are the transplants?

-----

Yes, the hosts are Spanish-speaking Miamians, not the visitors.

Old 05-16-2011, 06:18 AM

Quote:
What I think is very humorous in all of this is that South America's largest economy is Brazil.

----

Why?

Old 05-16-2011, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarySedici View Post
I totally agree with the official language. I believe America it's the only one on this whole planet which doesn't has one.
However, in my private life (out of business), no one can tell me what language to speak..

-----

Because Official Languages are considered Absolutist, Jacobinean, Fascist.
The American Constitution is based on the thoughts of French Enciclopedists and Illustration.

Old 05-16-2011, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Stating who is right or wrong was not my point. I was pointing out somehow it is suppose to be "respectful" for an English speaker to learn Spanish, but somehow a Spanish speaker is not burdened by this. This is along the same lines where some people make fun of Americans for not knowing two languages (always presuming English and Spanish), yet fail to mention the Spanish speakers not knowing two languages either. If the Spanish speakers in were bilingual in English, there would be no concern about speaking Spanish.

Either way, English is still the dominant language, especially in any job past $8 an hour; Florida is still part of the US, in which English is the dominant language; many Spanish speakers are actually the immigrants, not second or third, etc, generation; I look at the WW2 memorial at Bayside and do not see too many Hispanic sounding names on it.

Frankly, I do not care what language anyone speaks or learns living in their little corner of the world, I do not even speak English when I am out and about with my wife.

By the way, I like Miami, in case anyone here assumes I am complaining, which I am not, just having a conversation.

----

But you are the visitor, right?

Old 05-16-2011, 11:52 AM

1,946 posts, read 5,384,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolón View Post
-----

Yes, the hosts are Spanish-speaking Miamians, not the visitors.
So being an English-speaker I am a "visitor" in the area that I was born and raised in. Got it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami