Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 11:07 AM

2,217 posts, read 4,268,861 times

Advertisements

OMG. today i saw a guy flipping between english and spanish every couple of words. some sentences in english, some in spanish. wtf dude. seriously. PLEASE pick one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 11:09 AM

810 posts, read 1,579,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cixcell View Post
OMG. today i saw a guy flipping between english and spanish every couple of words. some sentences in english, some in spanish. wtf dude. seriously. PLEASE pick one.
Dude why you f. care... get a life

Old 05-13-2011, 11:12 AM

2,217 posts, read 4,268,861 times
cuz id like there to be an official language here. itd make things alot easier. whether it was english or spanish it doesnt matter. if it were spanish it would force me to learn, if it were english id be already prepared. it doesnt matter to me so long as we arent making our way to some sort of pidgin english here incompatible with everything else.

Old 05-13-2011, 11:14 AM

40 posts, read 50,082 times
Spanish and Spanglish are the official languages of Miami. Some people just cannot cope with another language. These people have no place in the modern, bilingual metropolis of Miami. Plenty of other towns for whitey to choose.

Old 05-13-2011, 11:44 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,757,983 times
Spanglish has been around since I was a kid. Ever watch Que Pasa USA?

Old 05-13-2011, 12:50 PM

1,092 posts, read 2,700,285 times
I love Spanglish!! Hola how are you today? I'm good y tu? De lo mas bien thanks for asking. What are you doing this fin de semana? HAHAHA JAJAJA

Old 05-13-2011, 01:09 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,674,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THORAX View Post
Spanish and Spanglish are the official languages of Miami. Some people just cannot cope with another language. These people have no place in the modern, bilingual metropolis of Miami. Plenty of other towns for whitey to choose.
Wow. Thanks for bringing racism into an issue that has absolutely nothing to do with race.

Though I live in New York now, I was born and raised down there and still visit my family there several times per year. I am fluent in both English and Spanish and though I understand that it is useful to be bilingual in Miami, it is by no means necessary and I know many people who lead happy, productive lives with a very limited Spanish vocabulary.

No visitor or tourist - domestic or international - should feel any obligation to speak Spanish in Miami. Miami is located in a country where English is the de facto language of the land, and to possess the attitude that anyone who does not speak Spanish is unwelcome is despicable, and frankly, quite un-American. One is entitled to speak any language s/he chooses. In fact, I maintain some of my personal relationships in Spanish. However, I only speak Spanish among people who do so as well, and would never be so rude as to carry on in Spanish in a group where not everyone speaks it. To expect and/or demand that someone who walks into Publix or The Gap speak Spanish is simply ludicrous, and thankfully, only a small - but, unfortunately, vocal - minority of Spanish speakers actually possess this attitude.

Race has no place in this discussion. Most white people in Miami are Latin and speak Spanish, and even a good number of non-Latin white people speak Spanish as well. And - be prepared for this to blow your mind - there are many people of Latin descent who do not speak Spanish well, or at all.

Old 05-13-2011, 01:21 PM

193 posts, read 371,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
Wow. Thanks for bringing racism into an issue that has absolutely nothing to do with race.

Though I live in New York now, I was born and raised down there and still visit my family there several times per year. I am fluent in both English and Spanish and though I understand that it is useful to be bilingual in Miami, it is by no means necessary and I know many people who lead happy, productive lives with a very limited Spanish vocabulary.

No visitor or tourist - domestic or international - should feel any obligation to speak Spanish in Miami. Miami is located in a country where English is the de facto language of the land, and to possess the attitude that anyone who does not speak Spanish is unwelcome is despicable, and frankly, quite un-American. One is entitled to speak any language s/he chooses. In fact, I maintain some of my personal relationships in Spanish. However, I only speak Spanish among people who do so as well, and would never be so rude as to carry on in Spanish in a group where not everyone speaks it. To expect and/or demand that someone who walks into Publix or The Gap speak Spanish is simply ludicrous, and thankfully, only a small - but, unfortunately, vocal - minority of Spanish speakers actually possess this attitude.

Race has no place in this discussion. Most white people in Miami are Latin and speak Spanish, and even a good number of non-Latin white people speak Spanish as well. And - be prepared for this to blow your mind - there are many people of Latin descent who do not speak Spanish well, or at all.
Ignore the troll - he's neither interesting nor educated, and he's clearly never left Miami.

Old 05-13-2011, 01:23 PM

1,978 posts, read 4,408,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cixcell View Post

My Brutha'! How long you been in Miami? When has that ever not been the case? Don't answer that -- but still, Spanish interspersed with English is what Miami is known for, outside of Coconuts, humidity and parties. I don't let it stop me from wanting to learn the language. Actually the DJ's and the ad pitchers on the Spanish stations I listen to here in San Diego do it too.

Old 05-13-2011, 01:32 PM

1,978 posts, read 4,408,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THORAX View Post

If I didn't know any better, I'd swear that we were getting Phil Hendrie'd by this Thorax guy, with all the Fugly and Hobo comments, and now "Whitey". Lol!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami