Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 09:12 PM

245 posts, read 662,895 times

Advertisements

Coconut1, I respect your ideas. I do feel that these people require professional guidance. The majority of these people suffer from serious issues that are far beyond what I can assist with. I would say "in general" these people are somewhat dangerous. These people are desperate and survive day to day. IMO someone wanting to assist these people should do so through professional organizations through donations of either time or money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 05:10 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,371,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewie_77 View Post
How am I being snotty? The facts are right in front of you. Most homeless people are lazy bums. They are offered tons of government assistance if they want it but no, they'd rather beg for money, making $50-$100 per day and live on the streets.

This is true, many of them have mental issues, but what else do you propose we do? House them in concentration camps or psych wards till they get better?
I honestly have no clue what the answer is. Also I wasn't sticking up for letting them have a encampment in Brickell. I think that sucks for the residents. These people have mental issues and can sometimes be dangerous. Something needs to be done, I just don't know what that "something" is or should be.

Quote:
You're absolutely right.

Some people don't get it and they never will. It's always somebody else's problem or fault. They refuse to come down off their high horses and realize we're all human beings, we all are the same and we owe it to our fellow humans to take care of those in need.

I think I might have told this here before, but I'll repeat it.

I got on Metromover in the late afternoon/early evening back in March. I went to Bayside to have dinner. There was a large lady sitting on the bench charging her cell phone. She was talking to somebody about her church, or something along those lines. About three hours or so later I got back on. In the same seat was the same lady, still riding Metromover. I realized at that point she was homeless. Our eyes met and I will never forget that look in her eyes. Truly heart breaking.
Two things

1. Your right, no one cars unless its in their own backyard and even then they just want it to go away.

2. Someone could argue that the woman should go to a homeless shelter but those places can be dangerous for women. My uncle was over the homeless shelters in a major state up north. The stories he would tell were really really ridiculous. From workers having unethical relationships with the residents to nut cases who were staying at the shelters attacking women. Like I said before, I have no idea what the answer is to fix this issue but something has to be done.

Old 08-30-2010, 08:24 AM

3,848 posts, read 9,327,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
To answer your question.....

Keep complaining and making an issue out of it to your local rep, eventually pressure will come from somewhere and make the people relocate to another place.

You can also comb through the zoning laws and see if the private property owner is in violation of any of them in regards to allowing the homeless to gather on his property.

I know you get a lot of utopians on here, but most homeless people are people a person should not encounter, nor have to deal with. Any normal person that is homeless would never hang around with a group of homeless people like that.

Most of those people have social issues that caused them to be homeless. I would not risk myself over the few percent that are actually straight.

"Would you like to say that to, according Department of Veteran Affairs, to the 107,000 homeless vets in this country? Those vets that fought for your freedom so you are able to sit here and belittle people you know nothing about?"

Sorry, but there are more than enough resources available to vets is they are homeless. Just because someone was in the service does not give them a right to an entitled life forever. They get out and need to work like the rest of us. Anyone with the MGIB has no excuse for being homeless.
You really have no idea about how homeless people operate.

Another personal encounter, on Metromover as well, was three men. I was riding from Omni to Downtown and they're talking about MDCC and how they were going to the library for such and such. The one guy then realized he had left his MDCC ID card back some place. He told the guys it would cost him $10 to get it replaced and he had to go back and get it because he didn't have the $10. He got off at the next stop to get the train back and before he got off he told the guys to meet him where they had slept the night before, on the steps some place. It's then I knew all three were homeless. They didn't have wonderful clothes on, but I just assumed they were an average working class person.

I don't wish anything bad on anyone, but I do wish those that believe homeless people are totally responsible for their problems, or those that believe all homeless people are dangerous or mentally unsound, would have a taste of homelessness themselves because it seems the only way they'll believe everything isn't milk and honey and there aren't such big resources available as they claim there are, is to be homeless themselves.

Old 08-30-2010, 04:50 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,826,533 times
"You really have no idea about how homeless people operate."

After dealing with them for four years while attending my university, I have a good idea.

After two years as an LEO, I have a good idea.

I do not need a lecture about how the homeless operate. My advice to people is to stay away from them. It is not worth your safety in hopes that the one homeless person you deal with is one of the small minority that actually is normal in the head.

If you want to assist the homeless, go through an organization, they exist for a reason.

I do not think people need to be demonized just because they do not want a bunch of homeless people living around them.

Old 08-30-2010, 05:24 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,327,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
"You really have no idea about how homeless people operate."

After dealing with them for four years while attending my university, I have a good idea.

After two years as an LEO, I have a good idea.

I do not need a lecture about how the homeless operate. My advice to people is to stay away from them. It is not worth your safety in hopes that the one homeless person you deal with is one of the small minority that actually is normal in the head.

If you want to assist the homeless, go through an organization, they exist for a reason.

I do not think people need to be demonized just because they do not want a bunch of homeless people living around them.
Dealing with them? In what capacity did you work with them?

I never demonized anyone, I'm simply saying calling the police and just moving them will not solve or help the problem.

Old 08-30-2010, 06:11 PM

242 posts, read 315,787 times
Quote:
Yes we can turn our back on them. Homeless people are offered every possible bit of assistance that can be given to them from both government and private parties. Most of them refuse it all. It's their fault they are where they are.
Chewie, that's really not cool at all man. I generally agree with you on most issues pertaining to Miami, but I'm with coconut on this one. You cannot turn your backs on the homeless. In all honesty, most of them suffer from some sort of mental illness, whether moderate or severe. Some can be rehabilitated and helped back into society (like those who just fell on bad luck), while others are too ill to work and function and require more long-term care.

To pass judgment on the homeless is cruel. As a civilized society, we should take care of those who cannot take care of themselves.

Old 08-30-2010, 06:14 PM

242 posts, read 315,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
Dealing with them? In what capacity did you work with them?

I never demonized anyone, I'm simply saying calling the police and just moving them will not solve or help the problem.
+1

Let me be one of the few in this thread to agree with you 100%. It's an issue that I feel very strongly about and one that has almost hit home in the past. Just moving the homeless elsewhere or pretending they don't exist is not the solution. There are many good people who are destitute, but either too mentally ill to help themselves, or are simply lost and just need a helping hand to get back on their feet.

Old 08-30-2010, 07:56 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,568,938 times
The two shelters that I know of are Camillus House which I think they have already moved to a new state of the art facility in the Civic center area and the Miami Rescue Mission which I volunteered at once and is in northern downtown.
The homeless suffer from drug, alcohol and/or mental issues and usually when the economy doesn't do well these people fall through the cracks and they are what we see on the streets when their resources disappear.
Unfortunately Miami has become a dumping ground for the homeless by many cities who put their homeless on a one way Greyhound bus ticket. Many warm weathered cities also have this problem.
SFLRunner if you want to help these people why don't you try to contact both of the shelters I mentioned?
Seriously though unless the owner of the lot fences it I can assure you that even if the 10 or so people you see there were to go to shelters another group of homeless will eventually take up residence there.

Old 08-30-2010, 08:32 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,479,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFLrunner View Post
So I moved to Brickell in May and love it here....unfortunately there is a once vacant lot at the corner of SE 6th Street & S Miami Avenue that has turned into a homeless camp. I have called the NON emergency number every week for the past 3 weeks and nothing has been done........Any suggestions............
Go offer a free beer to everybody who will take a one way ticket to Overtown ...

Old 08-30-2010, 08:37 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,645,499 times
Quote:
Yes we can turn our back on them. Homeless people are offered every possible bit of assistance that can be given to them from both government and private parties. Most of them refuse it all. It's their fault they are where they are.
Really? Guess you haven't heard about the new trend in the homeless. The laid off worker who can't pay their bills.

What about the mentally ill who are homeless?

Most people in this country a month or two from being homeless themselves if they lose their job.

What an ignorant statement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of: