Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 09:26 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,452,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewie_77 View Post
Yes we can turn our back on them. Homeless people are offered every possible bit of assistance that can be given to them from both government and private parties. Most of them refuse it all. It's their fault they are where they are.
i worked at a homeless shelter, and you sir are delusional. Many of them have mental problems and there are LIMITED resources to help them. I am sure FOX news told you different but the reality on the ground is FAR different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2010, 01:38 PM

604 posts, read 863,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebsosaurus View Post
you're blessed to have that homeless camp there
Could you explain this statement? I've had my share of interaction with the homeless, especially around the Metro Justice Building and the JMH complex. While I try not to demonize them, "blessing" isn't a word that occurs to me. Please expound on this.

Old 08-29-2010, 01:53 PM

139 posts, read 385,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrodinger's Kittens View Post
Could you explain this statement? I've had my share of interaction with the homeless, especially around the Metro Justice Building and the JMH complex. While I try not to demonize them, "blessing" isn't a word that occurs to me. Please expound on this.

it's quite simple: just change the way you view the world. if you see something as a gift, or a blessing, you're far likely to grow from the experience and be more actualized as a result of your new perspective.

and just before i get clobbered with people telling me i'm too radical and or unrealistic, the suggestion to view a challenge or obstacle as a gift, or blessing is nothing new, as many great modern and historical thinkers have utilized this way of thinking.

Old 08-29-2010, 03:08 PM

119 posts, read 251,475 times
Quote:
i'd rather shoot the crap with a homeless person who's got something interesting / humorous / heartfelt to say, than the snotty jerks like chewie who think they're better than everyone else. in actuality, you're blessed to have that homeless camp there, but instead of seeing it that way, you've put up a great wall around you to protect yourself against who, the less fortunate? give me a break. get real.
How am I being snotty? The facts are right in front of you. Most homeless people are lazy bums. They are offered tons of government assistance if they want it but no, they'd rather beg for money, making $50-$100 per day and live on the streets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
i worked at a homeless shelter, and you sir are delusional. Many of them have mental problems and there are LIMITED resources to help them. I am sure FOX news told you different but the reality on the ground is FAR different.
This is true, many of them have mental issues, but what else do you propose we do? House them in concentration camps or psych wards till they get better?

Old 08-29-2010, 04:52 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,410,880 times
Not sure why all the hate is being directed at the OP. I agree that they're people too and deserve some help, but no one should be allowed to just camp for periods at a time on random lots (OP implies that this is a continual presence).

Old 08-29-2010, 05:26 PM

604 posts, read 863,322 times
Quote:
it's quite simple: just change the way you view the world. if you see something as a gift, or a blessing, you're far likely to grow from the experience and be more actualized as a result of your new perspective.

and just before i get clobbered with people telling me i'm too radical and or unrealistic, the suggestion to view a challenge or obstacle as a gift, or blessing is nothing new, as many great modern and historical thinkers have utilized this way of thinking.
I'm not going to jump on you, I see your point and you're right, a lot of people have used that mindset as a catalyst to better their own lives and the lives of others.

But I also think it's very easy to tell someone how they "should" look at things when I'm not directly affected by the situation. Many homeless don't want to stay in shelters because they don't want to follow the rules the shelters have. At least they're honest about it, and they're free to make that choice. But it doesn't follow that I should accept the public nuisance and sanitation issues that come from people living communally without facilities.

Old 08-29-2010, 07:44 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,387,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewie_77 View Post
How am I being snotty? The facts are right in front of you. Most homeless people are lazy bums. They are offered tons of government assistance if they want it but no, they'd rather beg for money, making $50-$100 per day and live on the streets.

This is true, many of them have mental issues, but what else do you propose we do? House them in concentration camps or psych wards till they get better?
Would you like to say that to, according Department of Veteran Affairs, to the 107,000 homeless vets in this country? Those vets that fought for your freedom so you are able to sit here and belittle people you know nothing about?

There are many homeless that are mentally unstable, and as a civilized country, we owe it to them to help them, give them shelter and provide them with the tools they need to live a humane life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers29 View Post
Not sure why all the hate is being directed at the OP. I agree that they're people too and deserve some help, but no one should be allowed to just camp for periods at a time on random lots (OP implies that this is a continual presence).
While I don't fault SFLRunner for not wanting a homeless camp he has to walk by and probably be asked for money, or food on a daily basis, this opens an issue that needs to be discussed. We need to address the homelessness in Miami, and help those in need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
You're absolutely right.

Some people don't get it and they never will. It's always somebody else's problem or fault. They refuse to come down off their high horses and realize we're all human beings, we all are the same and we owe it to our fellow humans to take care of those in need.

I think I might have told this here before, but I'll repeat it.

I got on Metromover in the late afternoon/early evening back in March. I went to Bayside to have dinner. There was a large lady sitting on the bench charging her cell phone. She was talking to somebody about her church, or something along those lines. About three hours or so later I got back on. In the same seat was the same lady, still riding Metromover. I realized at that point she was homeless. Our eyes met and I will never forget that look in her eyes. Truly heart breaking.

Old 08-29-2010, 08:11 PM

245 posts, read 666,386 times
The reason I brought this issue up is because I don't believe people living in these conditions is good for them or for the people that reside around them. This is a privately owned lot that was empty when I moved here in May, in the past few months homeless have taken over this lot. Their numbers have started to increase. At this point it's probably less than 10 people or so, but everyday it seems to grow. Trash piles up, cardboard houses are built, laundry is hung out to dry......There are better places with appropriate facilities where these people can go. The reason they don't go is because they don't like the rules...............

Old 08-29-2010, 08:55 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,387,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFLrunner View Post
The reason I brought this issue up is because I don't believe people living in these conditions is good for them or for the people that reside around them. This is a privately owned lot that was empty when I moved here in May, in the past few months homeless have taken over this lot. Their numbers have started to increase. At this point it's probably less than 10 people or so, but everyday it seems to grow. Trash piles up, cardboard houses are built, laundry is hung out to dry......There are better places with appropriate facilities where these people can go. The reason they don't go is because they don't like the rules...............
Homeless people do go around in groups and pairs. You have to trust other people in order to survive out there on the streets. Homeless people are beat, robbed and sometimes murdered.

If there are other places these people can go, why don't you go tell them and give them a ride there?

Not all people aren't in shelters because of the rules. Shelters usually have limits, around 30 days, in which you can stay. Besides that, some shelters are not good places and abuse of the homeless does occur in some of them.

It sounds to me like these people are trying to live just like a person with a house does. Maybe you should go to your building's managing board and see what you all can do for them, as opposed to simply trying to get them out of your hair. Dispose of their trash for them, go with them to a laundromat, put money into the washer and dryers for them and let them do their wash there. Maybe if your building is looking for a maintenance worker or something along those lines, you all could hire one of them. If you have unsold developer units, allow them to stay and work in the building, build them up and then they can begin paying rent.

If we all pitch in a hand, we can make a major difference. Simply saying "there are places they can go" isn't helping and doesn't solve any of the problems.

Old 08-29-2010, 09:08 PM

18,069 posts, read 19,004,188 times
To answer your question.....

Keep complaining and making an issue out of it to your local rep, eventually pressure will come from somewhere and make the people relocate to another place.

You can also comb through the zoning laws and see if the private property owner is in violation of any of them in regards to allowing the homeless to gather on his property.

I know you get a lot of utopians on here, but most homeless people are people a person should not encounter, nor have to deal with. Any normal person that is homeless would never hang around with a group of homeless people like that.

Most of those people have social issues that caused them to be homeless. I would not risk myself over the few percent that are actually straight.

"Would you like to say that to, according Department of Veteran Affairs, to the 107,000 homeless vets in this country? Those vets that fought for your freedom so you are able to sit here and belittle people you know nothing about?"

Sorry, but there are more than enough resources available to vets is they are homeless. Just because someone was in the service does not give them a right to an entitled life forever. They get out and need to work like the rest of us. Anyone with the MGIB has no excuse for being homeless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of: