Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 05:39 PM

632 posts, read 932,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cholo57 View Post
Naturally....because that is who is paying (Mexican media).

Exactly!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2013, 06:07 PM

836 posts, read 2,947,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd_96 View Post
Ok. But wouldn't Mexico also be the largest Spanish speaking market in Latin America? So maybe there's a tendency to appeal to Mexicans. No proof, just a thought.
Yes sure, but for purposes of understanding, the Mexican neutral accent can be understood throughout Latin America.

Old 11-18-2013, 06:35 PM

626 posts, read 1,239,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mexguy View Post
Yes sure, but for purposes of understanding, the Mexican neutral accent can be understood throughout Latin America.

This reminded me, while watching an HBO Latino show a while back...I believe it was called "Habla" or something similar....that the non-mexican telenovelas actors and actresses, had to go to spanish "speech classes" as part of their indoctrination in the media.
One particular puerto rican actress (forgot who it was) stated that at the end of their "speech" training, they all came out talking like mexicans.
True story.

Old 11-18-2013, 06:42 PM

836 posts, read 2,947,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cholo57 View Post
This reminded me, while watching an HBO Latino show a while back...I believe it was called "Habla" or something similar....that the non-mexican telenovelas actors and actresses, had to go to spanish "speech classes" as part of their indoctrination in the media.
One particular puerto rican actress (forgot who it was) stated that at the end of their "speech" training, they all came out talking like mexicans.
True story.

and that is bad?

is not speaking as "Mexicans" is speak with an neutral accent that can be understood in any country.

for most information check this link in spanish: Español estándar - Wikipedia, la enciclopedia libre

Old 11-18-2013, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexguy View Post
and that is bad?

is not speaking as "Mexicans" is speak with an neutral accent that can be understood in any country.

for most information check this link in spanish: Español estándar - Wikipedia, la enciclopedia libre
And who said it was bad?
I meant it is ironic, the same can be said for the neutral accents of other spanish speaking countries.

Old 11-19-2013, 03:17 PM

1,047 posts, read 1,013,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida93 View Post
I would disagree. You see what most people dont know is that Mexico is a very large country with many accents, plus you have the americanize and bastarnized spanish accent in the U.S.

What most of us hear in the U.S is very americanize or poor spanish from mexican americans and the poor immigrants from Mexico who did not receive that well of an education.

The standard Mexican accent is the most neutral though, way more than the colombian. The colombians speak in "Usted" form, respectful yes, but it is not used in other countries. While Mexico and most of Spanish America use "tu".

Most of the American films that are dubbed are in the formal Mexican spanish Accent.
All Spanish-speaking countries use both formal and familiar forms of address.

Old 11-19-2013, 06:01 PM

Location: SF Bay Area, aka, Liberal Mecca/wherever DoD sends me to
713 posts, read 1,081,287 times
lol. not a single south american country has a similar accent to mexican-spanish. the only countries that do are the central american countries but even yet again, Mexico has a diversity of accents, thanks to it being a big country, and having a population of 110 million+ people.

Old 12-20-2013, 02:14 AM

346 posts, read 646,841 times
In general, the old colonial centers, Mexico City, Bogotá, Lima rather "conservative" speech patterns. Areas that have had more recent immigration like Buenos Aires, Caracas, and Havana will have more "innovations." This is very general, but things like using Usted and Tu and fully pronouncing the S in all positions united these old colonial cores. Perhaps people spoke more carefully if they were within earshot of a viceroy. JK

Old 12-20-2013, 02:53 AM

1,267 posts, read 3,073,730 times
Judging by this video, and only this video which shows only a particular accent in each country. I would still say none. If i have to pick one, it would probably be Peru.

10 Latin American accents in Spanish (women voices) - YouTube

A Latin American girl trying to imitate other spanish accents and languages. I am not sure where she is from, but in the video she says she is a professor at a university in Mexico. She seems to be joking around.

Mujer imita forma de hablar de diferentes países y en varios idiomas - YouTube

Old 12-23-2013, 07:33 AM

A Latin American girl trying to imitate other spanish accents and languages. I am not sure where she is from, but in the video she says she is a professor at a university in Mexico. She seems to be joking around.

Mujer imita forma de hablar de diferentes países y en varios idiomas - YouTube[/quote]

LOL

FYI...Colombians call "mono" to someone with a light colored/blond headed person.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico