Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Mercedes-Benz and Smart
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 07:33 AM

5 posts, read 13,101 times

Advertisements

used to drive an S350, was nice, but didn't look all that cool, so sold it and bought a CLS550. now thats a sexy car
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2008, 07:37 AM

2,781 posts, read 7,207,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alienware51 View Post
used to drive an S350, was nice, but didn't look all that cool, so sold it and bought a CLS550. now thats a sexy car
Yeah, I love the CLS. I'm trying to get one by the time I graduate college. Absolutely amazing car.

Old 11-25-2008, 08:44 AM

2,179 posts, read 6,715,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHG722 View Post
lol
Ok, you've got blinders on. All good!

Old 11-25-2008, 11:08 AM

2,781 posts, read 7,207,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HobokenGuy View Post
Ok, you've got blinders on. All good!
I think they're called 'blinkers' on Mercs

Old 11-25-2008, 01:32 PM

135 posts, read 515,660 times
That was the Chrysler effect...Like I said, I wouldn't own a 1992-2000 Benz. The ML class had a lot of trouble at first. As far as Lexus goes, well thats just it, it can go straight to the junk yard, never liked them at all. Sounds like someone was buying cars to keep up with Jones to me...750i, Audi A8L, S Class' ???? Those are the most expensive offering of each company and the most troublesome, don't you read consumer reports?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HobokenGuy View Post
The AMG's are a work of art, but for us common folk, a regular Benz is far and away one of the biggest wastes of money out there. I know, I owned 2 S Class', Dad has owned an S Class an SL, an Audi A8L, and a 750Li. German cars, especially Mercedes are just trash. Pure and simple.

Those cars were in the shop more than I'd like to remember.

Here were just a few of the fun things that happened to my two vehicles...

* Transmission leaks (both cars).
* Complete steering failure (two times on the 500).
* Xenon lights burning out after just a few months. Faulty burners.
* Fuel pump failure at 23K miles.
* Windows going down on their own.
* Brown bubbles forming in the double paned side windows due to faulty materials.
* Loaner ML350 had more rattles than a baby rattle factory.
* Loaner ML350 refused to go into D. Didn't even have 2K miles on it
* Gas caps on both S Class' used to undo themselves triggering the dreaded check engine light.
* Electrical short caused the left housing in the tail lamp to melt into a pile of goo.
* Condensation forming in headlights, and side mirror markers.
* Dash bowing up due to heat. (both cars).
* Airmatic suspension failure at 38K miles. (5K dollar repair job if it wasn't under warranty).
* 300 dollar oil changes.
* Terrible UV windshield coating made my EZ Pass and radar detector useless.
* Lacquer on the wood peeling off after two years.
* Atrocious customer service, arrogant dealers, constant nickel and diming made me never ever consider another German car again.

The 4 year long nightmare ended on Feb 28th, 2008 when I bought my Lexus. In the shop just once for an oil change.

Mercedes, BMW, Audi will never be considered once I drive my LX into the ground. I will be going back to some sort of Toyota product.

Old 11-25-2008, 04:15 PM

281 posts, read 1,379,059 times
Don't understand the strong devaluation of some posters here... surely the DaimlerChrysler idea was not the right thing for a company focussed on premium products. However I have been driving several Mercedes, Audi and BMW and never had any trouble. I love German cars (guess I am biased).

Old 11-25-2008, 09:07 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,214,050 times
I had a 1985 Mercedes 380SE (3.8L V8), with 275K miles. It was still ticking along. The 1981-1991 W126 (S-Class) Mercedes are one of the best Mercedes that were made. They date as early as 1979, but not offered in the USA until 1981 I do believe.

I now have a 1988 MB, lower miles and still runs like new.

I still have my American car and Japanese cars though.

Enjoy your MB. I cant afford a S550!

Last edited by Tennesseestorm; 11-25-2008 at 10:25 PM..

Old 11-25-2008, 09:24 PM

759 posts, read 3,183,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
....The 1981-1991 W126 (S-Class) Mercedes are one of the best Mercedes that were made.
you got that right those were built like tanks!

Old 11-25-2008, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnryOne View Post
That was the Chrysler effect...Like I said, I wouldn't own a 1992-2000 Benz. The ML class had a lot of trouble at first. As far as Lexus goes, well thats just it, it can go straight to the junk yard, never liked them at all. Sounds like someone was buying cars to keep up with Jones to me...750i, Audi A8L, S Class' ???? Those are the most expensive offering of each company and the most troublesome, don't you read consumer reports?
Nope, he bought them for when his big clients came into town. I don't think they'd appreciate him much for pulling up to meet them in his old 89 Suburban diesel with 300K on the clock spewing out soot and his hunting and fishing gear in the back.

As far as Consumer Reports, well, that's why he now owns a Lexus and I own one as well. Solid vehicle with better than average reliability ratings. So yes, Consumer Reports is read.

Old 11-25-2008, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icon7 View Post
you got that right those were built like tanks!
All those old Benz's and BMW's were rock solid cars and they still bring a smile to my face when I see one going down the road. What MB and BMW did so wrong was when they started to build all these models of cars and SUV's, and then over engineered the hell out of them. Mercedes should have stayed true and kept with their great cars. One large sedan, one coupe, one midsized car, call it a day, and keep the reliability well above average. BMW has stayed more true with the 3, 5, 6, and 7, but two SUV's, the 1 series, and that joke known as the X6 need to be done away with.

When a car company sees that their vehicles are starting to suffer problems with build quality and reliability, something needs to change. It's time to get back to the fundamentals that made those nameplates so prestigious in the first place. Then again, you'll always have those that want to own a Mercedes or BMW just to say they own one. Those types of buyers are why some car companies could drop the ball, then could halfway care if they pick it up or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Mercedes-Benz and Smart