Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Mercedes-Benz and Smart
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 04:39 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,219,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
I rarely see a Smart here in Norway. I think most would not consider a smaller car than VW Polo.

Top 5 in Norway (Q1 2011):
1. VW Golf
2. Toyota Avenis
3. Toyota Auris

Caddilac CTS in 2010: 0 sold .
Tiny cars for a tiny country

Who cares what cars are/are not the top sellers in Norway?

Top 5 in South Africa:

1. Volkswagen Polo Vivo
2. Toyota Corolla Verso
3. Mercedes-Benz C-Class

Does anyone in America care????

No......

BTW, it's spelled Cadillac

Last edited by plwhit; 06-29-2011 at 06:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2011, 06:23 AM

3,870 posts, read 4,086,174 times
What an idiotic vehicle.

Old 06-29-2011, 06:52 AM

6,469 posts, read 8,201,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Tiny cars for a tiny country

Who cares what cars are/are not the top sellers in Norway?

Top 5 in South Africa:

1. Volkswagen Polo Vivo
2. Toyota Corolla Verso
3. Mercedes-Benz C-Class

Does anyone in America care????

No......

BTW, it's spelled Cadillac
Apparently you did. I guess you did not like the Cadillac comment . By the way, Avenis is not a small car and this forum is not for Yanks only.

Old 06-29-2011, 07:41 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,988,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
I'd rather have a Smorvette

Or a Smamborghini....
Got a pic with the driver seated and the door open? Or do you have to get yer legs chopped off to have a car like that?

Old 06-29-2011, 08:08 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,069,036 times
My answer: I would never, ever, ever buy a car on the basis (even partially) of a crash test or safety ratings.

Old 06-29-2011, 09:21 AM

859 posts, read 2,831,070 times
Would never consider one. I've posted on these cars before as my neighbor has one. She bought the car because she wanted something with better mileage and thought it would be better for her small trips.

She's owned the car close to 2 yrs now and it has around 6000 miles on it. The car has been sitting in her driveway since last fall. She has had a number of major mechanical issues along with several minor issues and has been stranded in the car several times. She no longer trusts the car even to drive around town.

Getting back to the mileage thing. Her other car is a 2000 Corolla and the two cars get exactly the same mileage around town with the corolla getting better on the Hwy. The Smart car is also too small to carry even a weeks worth of groceries for her family so again it of no use.

Safety is also a major concern. The cars are so small they get missed in blind spots of most normal sized cars. All of the crash tests being performed are done assuming these little cars will be running into other like sized cars or at least cars with similar bumper heights. Even the Smart VS S-Class video is assuming similar bumper heights. Unfortunately the majority of the cars on the roads are not cars at all but rather but trucks and SUV's with bumper heights far above the bumper of the Smart car.

I drive a Tacoma pick up and I've parked next to my neighbors Smart on a few occasion. My truck is basically stock except for some slightly taller tires but no lift and my bumper sits about even with the base of the Smarts windshield or about 10 inches above it bumper. I also noticed it sits about even with the bottom of the side window. What all this means is in a front or side collision my bumper would contact the Smart car well above it's bumpers or side impact beams leaving very little if any protection for the occupants. .

By comparison my truck is fairly small so consider what would happen if one of these cars hit an larger SUV like a Expedition, Sequoia, or one of the GM monsters. I doubt the drivers of the SUV would know they hit anything. It would be like picking bugs out of the grill.

Seriously. The smart car is too small to haul anything, gets poor mileage for it's size, is a death trap and has major mechanical issues. Would I ever consider buying one.. No... Hell NO. And anyone with half a brain would steer clear as well.

Old 06-29-2011, 09:28 AM

874 posts, read 1,650,281 times
No, my friends and I laugh when we see one. lol maybe if they looked cool... it seems like cars with good mileage are ugly for some reason. They are very dangerous as well and my mustang would tear it to shreds. I wouldn't feel comfortable in a smart car.

Old 06-29-2011, 09:42 AM

428 posts, read 1,084,107 times
Better than a dumb car!

Old 06-29-2011, 12:11 PM

859 posts, read 2,831,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithwand View Post
Better than a dumb car!

Sorry but it is a "dumb car"

Old 06-29-2011, 01:51 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,988,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johna01374 View Post
Sorry but it is a "dumb car"
+ 1000 to that....

I guess some folks don't know that any engine takes so much fuel to just run. You could strip a Smart Car to bare bones and it won't get a whole lot better MPGs.

To get better means a far to small engine to be a car, somewhere around 100cc's. This type of car is only good for around twn and not over 45 MPH IMO. Something that might work on Nantucket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Mercedes-Benz and Smart